headset for husband!!
Dec 24, 2020 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ashl3ighh

New Head-Fier
hey y'all!!
don't know who will see this or if anyone will BUT for christmas i bought my husband to be a full gaming/streaming set up in terms of mic - he has the shure sm7b mic and everything needed to make it the highest quality it can be
HOWEVER i now want to get him a headset too, his main game is games like COD and he complains about missing sound!! (he's a PC Gamer) i read a lot that the hyperX cloud alpha headset is the best headset - but if you can help me and tell me if this is right or if there's another one i would really appreciate it!

i don't need the headset for the mic - PURELY the game audio

we are long distance and to get it to him i need to order it asap! it would mean a lot if y'all could help

Dec 24, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 4
I hear people really like the beyerdynamic dt 990 for gaming but I feel like I shouldnt personally endorse them because I’ve never used them for gaming or otherwise

Hope this helps! There are certainly a lot of good options. When shopping around I think you want to look for something with good soundstage and imaging, some bass boost for explosions, but also some elevated treble for footstep recognition. Dt 990 seems to have all that but you should get some other opinions

Dec 24, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 4
I hear people really like the beyerdynamic dt 990 for gaming but I feel like I shouldnt personally endorse them because I’ve never used them for gaming or otherwise

Hope this helps! There are certainly a lot of good options. When shopping around I think you want to look for something with good soundstage and imaging, some bass boost for explosions, but also some elevated treble for footstep recognition. Dt 990 seems to have all that but you should get some other opinions

I'd suggest the Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R over the DT990 as there was no mention of a headphone amplifier (DT990 will need an amp to get loud enough generally). The 300R also has a bit less of a treble spike, which I would prefer personally. These are both open back headphones and will leak sound, if that's a consideration. These headphones aren't particularly cheap either, at $130-$200.

There are many good options out there though at any price point, so you just need to narrow in on this a bit. If you already have a microphone and just want sound quality, there are much better options than the hyperx line.

Dec 24, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 4
Oh actually I can personally recommend the sennheiser hd 599. Very nice sound, great imaging, very light and comfortable and definitely doesnt need an amp. Also the ear cups are oval shaped unlike the beyers, which i personally find more comfortable and ergonomic.

and yes these are open back headphones as well, basically sound like someones playing music from an iphone speaker if you’re sitting next to them. But open backs are generally superior for gaming because they give better soundstage and imaging for that footstep detection etc.

edit: these were on a nice sale recently for 100 bucks on amazon, maybe they’re still available at this price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back