Headsave Update
Nov 4, 2003 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

iamdone

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey, Headsave has updated their website.

www.headsave.com

I haven't checked it out except to look at the PPA. It's only $399. I doesn't look nearly as nice as the LaRocco Audio www.laroccoaudio.com but I'm sure they should sound almost the same and it's $600 cheaper.

Nov 4, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 60
Norm has created a super nice looking site there... but it's gonna be dog slow over dialup connections. Hope it doesn't lose him any sales, because I mean it's going to be sssllllooowwww over a 56k modem. Toss in a 350k .GIF image and call it a FAQ, etc... honestly, if I didn't have cable broadband I would have given up.

Nov 4, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by sygyzy
I hope Norm does not cause too much confusion with the name changes.

I guess it is better that he changed them since they are technically not the same amps (PIMETA now).

The PPA is a good price but it uses a Elpac 24v with it. With the LaRocca, it uses a custom made power supply. I don't know how big of difference this makes but it should improve the sound. It still a big price difference. I'd be tempted to spend $400 for an amp but not $1000. I'm sure there other difference besides the power supply and case. If it's parts, I'm sure Norm could customize it to have the same parts.

Nov 4, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 60
Ummm, the Headsave website isn't any different...
Are you guys looking at a different one than I am?
Is there a certain section you guys are talking about?

Nov 4, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 60
I believe LaRocca's PPA has better caps and better parts through out. You also get the custom enclosure, and bassboost option. W/o power supply, LaRocca's PPA is listed at 600 dollars.

Nov 4, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 60
I think the text is too big, and therefore, too hard on my eyes!
eek.gif

Nov 4, 2003 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 60
I have to say as far as the work that Norm does on the META42 that I've seen goes, although he does make some short cuts in parts selection unless you specify otherwise, the amp does 'exactly what it says on the tin'. Yes, the Headsave META42 sounded worse than some META42's I've built... but not by a cosmic amount. The cost difference to anyone else out there is certainly very attractive and I don't think you're losing out sonically to any major degree.

I've also experienced JMT's legendary tidy soldering skills but I would also give the nod to Norm's more practical build. His wiring is well secured to a level that many other semi-DIY people wouldn't bother.

Even in DIY though, I think you do get what you pay for. If obsession-like levels of electronic precision are required (and judging from the design of the PPA I'd say this would merit such concerns more than a META42), I'd still be inclined to throw my money towards the likes of JMT. But if that last 2.5% isn't such an issue compared to the hundreds you'd be saving with Headsave, Norm's your man for sure.

Nov 5, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #13 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
But if that last 2.5% isn't such an issue compared to the hundreds you'd be saving with Headsave, Norm's your man for sure.

I'd definitely be inclined to save hundreds and still get 97.5% of what I'd be getting otherwise. In fact I think a person would have to be nuts not to, particularly with designs like the PIMETA and PPA (as nice as they are, surely not the last word in headphone amps).

Nov 5, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #14 of 60
Plus with Headsave, you can have Norm customize anything, so if the PPA parts are not exactly the ones you'd use, tell him. See what a completely maxed out PPA from him would cost. I think he list the most economical amps because more people would be interested and then you can always upgrade to your tastes. I'm sure JMT is the same but he just starts out with a higher end.

The one great thing about Norm, is he responds to your emails right away and is very friendly. Not to bash Xin (supermini/micro), but he usually takes a few days to respond but is also very friendly. Seeing how impatient everyone around here is, a quick response is the way to go. I have never dealt with JMT but it looks like he is also very well liked.

Nov 5, 2003 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 60
I agree that customer service is extremely important and if I had to rate Norm from 1-10, I'd give him an easy 11!!

If anybody reading this is questioning who to buy their amps from, You cannot go wrong with Headsave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back