Headsave New Classic mini review
Jan 25, 2005 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Lisa

Headphoneus Supremus
After Headsave closing up shop I wondered whether impressions of the New Classic were still wanted like they would be when the Classic was still in production. And apparently they are because I got some subtle reminders.
redface.gif

So here goes!

First of all, this is what I'm talking about.

4684frontbatt.jpg

A small home amp in Hammond enclosure.
Its dimentions are: 12.5 x 8 x 3cm (That's a AA battery next to it.) without volume knob and in-and outputs.
On the front there are the 1/4 headphone jack, the LED and the volume knob. On the back are the RCA jacks, the on and off switch and the power supply connection.
The lettering on the front looks professional and doesn't clutter the panel.

I have it connected to a NAD C 541i CDP and it's powering a humble pair of MS-1s.
I have the new version and it uses 3 OPA627s opamps. Left, right and ground. I'm using a 24V Mascot power supply. The gain is set to 3.5 and connected to the NAD I can turn up the volume all the way (CD player being on pause!) without hearing any hiss. Maybe with some more sensitive headphones there is, but not with the MS-1s and my ears.

But for this review I mainly connected it to an iRiver imp-150 PCDP. This way I could compare it best to my MINT. Which I used to use with the iRiver and the MS-1s before I got the Classic. The MINT and the Classic are the only two headphone amps I've ever heard.

Let me say that the iRiver is very impressive. Of course there are flaws like bass extension and a thin sound but the dynamics this player's got makes it sound very enjoyable.The iRiver and the Classic can make the MS-1s sound really nice.

Down to business with the actual Classic impressions.

I have to say I'm very impressed with it!
smily_headphones1.gif

What the MINT never really could do the Classic can and that is to show me what amplification is really about. With the MINT the differences were subtle between headphone out and line-out amped. However with the Classic it's quite a bit bigger. The improvement from MINT to Classic is actually bigger than the difference with a MINT and unamped!

The Classic makes my MS-1s groove. My speakers are KEF Q1s and with the bass turned up they have a nice midbass that can make music like old Al Green recordings sound very sweet. The MS-1s never really passed the "Al Green test". But now they do, with flying colors. They don't have as much midbass as the Q1s but that's more a good thing then a bad thing. As the MS-1s have much more and better deep bass.

I've written down some impression on a post-it and to tell you all the truth I've got no idea how to make it into a story so I'll just type it over.
biggrin.gif

These are impressions from a direct comparison between the MINT and the Classic.

The Classic has:

-More Bass
-Bass is sweet and liquid
-More dept in the music
-More dimension
-Less flat
-More airiness
-Better instrument separation
-It feels like a veil is lifted that I didn't know was there.

The more and sweeter, liquid bass has been covered with the "Al Green test". If you've ever listened to the intro of Love And Happiness you know what I mean.

The lifted veil. Well, that's just better clarity and detail. It's less congested. Like the difference between listening through a closed door and an open door. Maybe not so dramatic. But it sounded like that. Only that you realised the door was closed AFTER it got opened.

About everything else I mentioned. I can best explain it by giving an example. When I was listening to Eva Cassidy- Life at Blues Alley (Thanks OneMalt!) I could just hear that she was playing in a room. Like I could hear the room, how big it was, what the acoustics were, where she was in the room, that sort of thing. It wasn't flat, it was three dimensional. Lots of that is also thanks to how good the recording is, but still, The MINT doesn't show this the way the Classic does.

I might not have covered everything from the post-it list but I think the rest speaks for itself.

The Classic makes the MS-1s glow with pride. I believe I've found very good synergy with these two and hope to resist upgradititus, because I am really very happy with my amp and headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just a few notes on other headphones with the Classic.

MX500
I've always said these babies really like amping. Gives them bass and make them sound bigger. Maybe it's just the extra bass though. I've had this experience with the MINT and with an integrated amp. (NAD C 350). But the Classic shows the flaws of these little buds. They are warm sounding and through the Classic the high mids become almost piercing. Could also be the recording. I didn't try these with other recordings.

PX100
Well I've always found these dull sounding. Amp them with the Classic and lo and behold they even have the Senn veil. Even more boring and it doesn't sound like they are gaining any detail at all. The door is not opened, like it is with other headphones I've tried. The Classic seems to show the flaws in (Senn) headphones.
Because the

HD25-1
sound better through the Classic, but the flaws also become more apparent.
More detail, clearer sound but those highs….
frown.gif
Everything improves. Better bass, better clarity, but also better (i.e. more) sibilance.
evil_smiley.gif

Actually, If you can get rid of that sibilance, and I'm told a replacement cable not made out of steel can do that, the Classic would improve the HD25-1s very nicely too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Conclusion.

The New Classic with OPA627s is a wonderful little budget amp that has great synergy with the MS-1s. It is really unfortunate for all us Head-Fiers that Norm had to close up shop. If you have a pair of lower end Grados or Alessandros I wouldn't hesitate to recommend you a second hand Classic if you can find one. And I'm sure the Classic can make lots of other headphones shine as well!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 24
Thanks for compliments guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by null
Nice review, but I don't understand. If Headsave isn't making any new amps, how did you get a new version of the Classic?
confused.gif

There are two version of the Classic. Mine was the second version that was new at the time and was called the New Classic.
It came out in Dec 2004. So it still is relatively new.

Jan 25, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 24
Nice review Lisa. But I don't understand why he would make a new version and then close up shop. Hopefully someone else will be allowed to use his design and produce them again.
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 24
Lisa done a Classic review! And quickly too
etysmile.gif

And the attenuators impressions ?
tongue.gif

For someone that had to be pushed,
and confessed that followed her own nose,
done a great review.
eggosmile.gif

Can we hope Lisa will make more reviews?
Say yes please !!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 24
A "friendly" (not so mini!) review. Well done. Curt, neat.

That thingy is a very desireable no-nonsense amp; I'm conviced it would do a lot of good to my Senns (this being the only point where I'd say my sentiments diverge), in that it would have both the right amount of 'drive' with the BB OPA627s, and the ability to light the sound up for their good.

No wonder the PX100 doesn't get the best treatment from it; yes, grudgingly, I admit that those are somehow dull-ish and veiled on the whole, but that's not really the best Sennheiser representative out there of course.

It's sorta cruel that Headsave is no more, in the understanding of us budget people... me excluded, since my being not provided with a CC soothes the mortification. I'm turning melancholic?
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 24
You have a heart-warming style of writing things and even your review has got that cozy touch to it. Very nice!

Regarding the Hd 25 cable, here's a good one with 3.5mm headphone plug and costs 23 Euros. It's the replacement cable for the Hd 580, 3m in length, OFC. Product numer is 81435
http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoi..._prodinfo.html

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigears
Lisa done a Classic review! And quickly too
etysmile.gif

And the attenuators impressions ?
tongue.gif

I already written some impression (short) somewhere in a thread. A quick search will find them. Problem is that without them my amp is too loud so it's hard for me to get full impressions. I'd have to listen extensively to too loud music and I don't look forward to that...

Quote:

Can we hope Lisa will make more reviews?
Say yes please !!!
biggrin.gif

I don't intent to upgrade, so on what?
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
You have a heart-warming style of writing things and even your review has got that cozy touch to it. Very nice!

Regarding the Hd 25 cable, here's a good one with 3.5mm headphone plug and costs 23 Euros. It's the replacement cable for the Hd 580, 3m in length, OFC. Product numer is 81435
http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoi..._prodinfo.html

You make me blush!
wink.gif

About the cable, That's for the recommendation. I've already got all the options in mind. I think I'll ask my local senn dealer to order the HD25-13 replacement cable. That one is also one sided and fits in the headband groove. It's €15 on the German Senn site but they don't ship outside Germany. Someone else here(forgot the name, sorry "someone else here".) had positive things to say about that cable.

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
Suppose i'll have to review my 'New Classic' with the AD86xx opamps when it and my Mascot arrive - ETA early next week!
tongue.gif
Nice review Lisa - Thanks
etysmile.gif

How did you manage to get that Mascot? Because RScomponents don't sell to individuals. They told me they would make an exeption if you order at least for €100. It took a lot of fancy talking and some luck to get it for the normal price.
Is there a place in the UK that sells the Mascot to individuals?

Jan 25, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
How did you manage to get that Mascot? Because RScomponents don't sell to individuals. They told me they would make an exeption if you order at least for €100. It took a lot of fancy talking and some luck to get it for the normal price.

Yes RS Components - I bought mine there and so did a few other UK folks. Can't understand where the problem would be, I've bought a few other low value orders since then.

Jan 25, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa

As StevieDvd said - Ordered mine from RS without any problems...
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back