HEADS UP!: Sylvania 5751 Gold Pins on Ebay.
Nov 29, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #31 of 37
*Here* is a telling post from Joe S. at Audio Asylum, confirming another posters question that a 2-mica gold pin Sylv. 5751 was in fact real and produced. Hope this helps. Still doesn't exactly confirm the authenticity of these tubes but it sure makes the case stronger that they are authentic since a 2-mica/gold pin version was made.

EDIT: Upon reading the thread at that posted link I think they may be debating whether the pins of this tube they are talking about is gold pins or not as it sounds like they are too ragged looking to verify. Hmmm...the question here again is whether they made a 2-mica version with gold pins.

Nov 29, 2003 at 6:50 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
EDIT: Upon reading the thread at that posted link I think they may be debating whether the pins of this tube they are talking about is gold pins or not as it sounds like they are too ragged looking to verify. Hmmm...the question here again is whether they made a 2-mica version with gold pins.

The raggedness of the pins did not mean that they weren't Gold Brand. I think that Mitch and now Joe S. have verified that a two mica Sylvania GB existed, and the match between Mitch's pics and the eBay auction pics indicate that the tubes offered were exactly what they claimed to be.

I'm wondering who in this thread is going to e-mail the seller and apologize for screwing up his auction.

Nov 29, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
There is a reason I was trying to tread cautiously here. It would not be unreasonable for the seller to file a non-paying bidder alert on amadeus-mozart. The seller is now out the listing fees for the first auction, and would be out the closing cost as well, unless he files the alert. So, amadeus-mozart has now backed out of a legitimate deal, and may have jeopardized his standing on eBay, because suspicions were raised without real information.

Hirsch, With all due respect- I raised no suspicions- though I did inform the seller that the originality of the tubes were in question. I nether cancelled nor refused to pay for them. The seller and I have agreed that he would cancel my bid without leaving negative feedback and I would pay his eBay fee of $4.50. The tubes have been re-listed with a new 'Buy it Now' price $70.00. Under the circumstances, I believe it would have been foolish not to raise questions. Though it seems these tubes are the real thing, there are fakes out there. I'm grateful to all who so generously shared their time and information.

AM

Nov 29, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

The raggedness of the pins did not mean that they weren't Gold Brand. I think that Mitch and now Joe S. have verified that a two mica Sylvania GB existed...

Ah, I see. I was thinking they were indicating the pins were too "dirty" to tell if they were gold pins or not. Let me ask the question this way: When a Sylvania was dubbed "Gold Brand" did that mean they definitely had gold pins?

If so, it is in all probability those tubes were in fact the real deal then.

Nov 29, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by amadeus-mozart
I nether cancelled nor refused to pay for them. The seller and I have agreed that he would cancel my bid without leaving negative feedback and I would pay his eBay fee of $4.50.

Thank you for clarifying. Your earlier post indicated that you had asked the seller to cancel your bid, which he could not have done since it had ended the auction. The mutual agreement to cancel the sale and for you to pay his fees was the correct and proper thing to do.

Nov 29, 2003 at 9:30 PM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Thank you for clarifying. Your earlier post indicated that you had asked the seller to cancel your bid, which he could not have done since it had ended the auction. The mutual agreement to cancel the sale and for you to pay his fees was the correct and proper thing to do.

Hi Hirsch,

I was just thinking that perhaps we could make up a list of tube dealers in which we have confidence so as to avoid just the problem that I experienced. If there were no objections, I would like to have people post their recommendations.

Thanks,

AM
600smile.gif

Nov 29, 2003 at 9:37 PM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by amadeus-mozart
I was just thinking that perhaps we could make up a list of tube dealers in which we have confidence so as to avoid just the problem that I experienced. If there were no objections, I would like to have people post their recommendations.

Check the sticky at the top of the amplification forum...
wink.gif

I place the greatest amount of trust in a tube tester in which I've personally checked the calibration voltages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back