HEADS UP!: Sylvania 5751 Gold Pins on Ebay.
Nov 28, 2003 at 3:48 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
I didn't really look at the picture before, but now I have.. Those could be real, but certainly don't look like the one I have. All the Sylvania's I've seen (and have) have those widely spaced notches along the edges, the ones in the eBay pics are smooth. Really don't resemble any Sylvania's I've ever seen internally. I wouldn't risk it. The printing really looks too good, as I mentioned earlier.

-dd3mon

I don't want to take a chance with these; I left the seller a message about the tubes, and asked him to cancel my bid. I hope this won't be a problem. BTW- are the Sylvania 5751 Gold versions very hard to locate at a reputable dealer?

AM
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2003 at 5:14 AM Post #17 of 37
If the tubes can be shown to be a fake, you can probably cancel your bid. However, if the tubes may be real, you can't. The evidence here just isn't enough. Congratulations. You've bought them. Someone who is a tube expert might be able to say for sure. Nobody posting in this thread, including me, knows enough to be certain.

If the seller is understanding, you might be OK trying to cancel. Not if I was selling, though, and the tubes were real. When you bid on eBay, you're entering into a contract. You have absolutely no right to back of it because you've had second thoughts.

dd3mon, if you look closely, the mica's are not smooth around the edges, but have the small tabs that secure them in place in the bottle.

Mitch, I can't tell if they're halo's or disks. They look like halo's to me, though. It appears from the pics you posted that the triple mica's are 5751WA tubes. Does the triple mica also appear on the 5751 basic type?

Nov 28, 2003 at 6:57 AM Post #18 of 37
I was wrong, they are in fact disk getters, but not Chinese.

I went through my tubes, and have a half dozen 5751's that are almost identical (steel pins instead of gold). Otherwise exactly the same plates and mica's. The ones I have are branded "National" which means absolutely nothing, except that they were bought from someone else. They are almost certainly US tubes.

Note that Chinese and Russian 12AX7's use a fat bottle, which these don't have. I haven't seen a Chinese or Russian 5751.

Nov 28, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #20 of 37
The guy has now re-listed the tubes $30 less than before.... This seems a bit fishy. If they are legit sylv GB 5751 ... at $70 for the both of them is an amazing deal... but whether or not they are legit is anyones guess...

amadeus-mozart - Did you happen to ask the guy if he knew whether or not they are real? Or did he respond to you with anything relevant?

Nov 28, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Nefarion
The guy has now re-listed the tubes $30 less than before.... This seems a bit fishy. If they are legit sylv GB 5751 ... at $70 for the both of them is an amazing deal... but whether or not they are legit is anyones guess...

amadeus-mozart - Did you happen to ask the guy if he knew whether or not they are real? Or did he respond to you with anything relevant?

He was extremely arrogant- says he's THE tube expert and if he says they are real they are real. Maybe yes, maybe no but very fishy. I'm staying away from his sales in the future.

AM

Nov 29, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #22 of 37
Welp, sorry if i caused anyone (mozart) any inconveinence with this! I didnt really examine the tubes in the pictures and didnt realize these were possibly non-legit. EEK! I'll defenitly keep my eyes more open in the future.

P.S.: I just sent him the following email. Im curious as to what his response will be:

"These tubes look like fakes. I have never seen any double mica Sylvania Gold Brand 5751s before (they are all triple mica) ... Nor have i ever seen any with print/font of that color. Looks like a good deal but I cant help but question the authenticity of them. Do you have any knowledge as to why these are different from any other sylvania GB 5751 ive ever seen?"

Nov 29, 2003 at 12:16 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Nefarion
Welp, sorry if i caused anyone (mozart) any inconveinence with this! I didnt really examine the tubes in the pictures and didnt realize these were possibly non-legit. EEK! I'll defenitly keep my eyes more open in the future.

Hey it's cool! This seller could have emailed me that he guarantees they are authentic and would refund if they were found not to be. I would have been fine with that. A seller needs to protect his rep and the buyer his pocketbook! Whether a seller likes it or not people are going to ask questions. Sometimes the questions are dumb and obvious. I never told him they were fake just that there were questions. He could have smoothed it over but instead chose to substitute arrogance for customer satisfaction.

AM

Nov 29, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #24 of 37
Lowering the asking price is really weird if he truly believes they are real.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=29833

Want to know something even stranger?

I helped a friend unpack some tubes today and got a pair of NOS Sylvania Gold Brand 5751's. They look and are identical to the pair that we have been debating.

I am all wet. As far as I know the tubes listed are in fact what they are claimed to be.

I'm sorry for the misinformation but I felt caution was called for.

I'll post some pictures shortly. I've personally had 8 Sylvania 5751 Gold Brands and these are the first like this I've seen.

The reason I believe the ones I have now are real is they were aquired through an estate sale and were just mixed in with 1000 other tubes. About 50 were various Sylvania Gold brands.

I'll post pictures in a little bit with a detailed description. The ones I have have the original boxes.

Mitch

Nov 29, 2003 at 2:02 AM Post #27 of 37
Nice pix. Those look pretty convincing. So at the estate sale they were mixed in with other old tubes?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2003 at 2:39 AM Post #28 of 37
My friend bought 2 file boxes full of various tubes probably upwards of 1000 total tubes. He buys blind lots of assorted tubes and the overwhelming majority are radio and TV tubes, basically useless since we’re looking for audio tubes. We had no idea what was in the boxes until I helped him sort the tubes.

This batch though had these 2 and probably 50 other very good tubes. Several NOS Amperex 12AX7 and 12AU7’s in the original boxes, Sylvania 5814 and 6201 Gold Brands. Several other nice old NOS tubes like a Sylvania 6189 from 1957. It was really a lot of fun seeing them all and going through them.

I wanted to let people know what I learned and to be clear about what has been said, there’s no harm in being cautious.

I was wrong in my opinion of the tubes posted on Ebay. As Hirsch said I now believe these are late production Sylvania Gold Brands.

Mitch

Nov 29, 2003 at 4:39 AM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver

Want to know something even stranger?

I helped a friend unpack some tubes today and got a pair of NOS Sylvania Gold Brand 5751's. They look and are identical to the pair that we have been debating.

I am all wet. As far as I know the tubes listed are in fact what they are claimed to be.

I'm sorry for the misinformation but I felt caution was called for.

There is a reason I was trying to tread cautiously here. It would not be unreasonable for the seller to file a non-paying bidder alert on amadeus-mozart. The seller is now out the listing fees for the first auction, and would be out the closing cost as well, unless he files the alert. So, amadeus-mozart has now backed out of a legitimate deal, and may have jeopardized his standing on eBay, because suspicions were raised without real information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back