HEADS UP!: Sylvania 5751 Gold Pins on Ebay.
Nov 27, 2003 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Nefarion
This is a great deal... Id get it if i had the money... even though i already have 4 of these!

Snagem up before someone else does...

Ebay Link *CLICK HERE*

These tubes are (unfortunately in today's market) worth the asking price. This pair looks like they were stored a time capsule! Almost too new looking, hehe..

-dd3mon

Nov 27, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 37
I think they are BOGUS!

The printing looks wrong!

The Getter looks wrong!

The Mica looks wrong!

Please be careful here fellas. Your recomending a possible bogus tube.

Mitch

Nov 27, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 37
I agree they don't look like the real thing to me.

I figured I post some picks of the gray plate gold pins I had:

sylvaniaGB5751.JPG

[br]
sylvaniaGB5751-2.JPG

Nov 27, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
I think they are BOGUS!

The printing looks wrong!

The Getter looks wrong!

The Mica looks wrong!

Please be careful here fellas. Your recomending a possible bogus tube.

Mitch

Well I snagged them! Now I'm not so sure. I looked at a picture of them online which was completely different. I couldn't tell if the eBay ones were triple mica. They do look too good. I emailed Tuberoller- hopefully he can take a look at them and comment of whether they are ok or bogus.

AM
confused.gif

Nov 27, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 37
They're definitely not a triple-mica tube. However, that does not necessarily mean that they're bogus. Sylvania mades lots of two-mica tubes as well, some of them excellent. They do look like later production than the ones that Daemoth posted.

Nov 27, 2003 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 37
The Ebay ones are double Mica for sure.

Were the Sylvania Gold Brand 5751's a double or tripple Mica tube?

1069961965.jpg

The mica looks strange because it's very thin and doesn't seem to have many of the > fingers on them. It looks like what you see in Chinese tubes.

The print looks wrong- wrong font and wrong color.

I don’t think I’ve seen Disk Getters on the Gold Brand tubes.

I just wanted to raise the possibility that they don’t appear to be what they are advertised as. I’m no expert I’m just cautious. If they were real NOS Gold Brands as claimed they would have been priced at $65 too. The seller sold 4 of the same tube earlier this month and another head-fier bought them. I haven’t heard from them how they turned out.

I believe these tubes posted below are real.

1069961915.jpg

1069961914.jpg

1069961916.jpg

Mitch

Nov 27, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
They're definitely not a triple-mica tube. However, that does not necessarily mean that they're bogus. Sylvania mades lots of two-mica tubes as well, some of them excellent. They do look like later production than the ones that Daemoth posted.

I just looked at 'Joe's Tube Lore' where he speaks of the "Best of the Best" 5751s. He lists the Sylvania Gold Brand Grey Plate Gold Pins as well as the Black Plate Gold Pin variety. He comments that these are 3 mica tubes. This doesn't bode well for the eBay tubes' originality...

AM
mad.gif

Nov 27, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #11 of 37
From Joe's Tube Lore:

Well the tubes in my best of the best short list include the following:

- GE black plate (definitely not to be confused with the grey plate version)
Tung Sol
- Raytheon
- Sylvania black plate government contract gold labels (JHS, CAA, etc..)
- Sylvania Gold Brand black plate
- Sylvania Gold Brand grey plate - gold pin

Note that all of the tubes above have the 3 mica spacer design with one exception - the Tung Sol.

Good Luck

Mitch

Nov 27, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by amadeus-mozart
I just looked at 'Joe's Tube Lore' where he speaks of the "Best of the Best" 5751s. He lists the Sylvania Gold Brand Grey Plate Gold Pins as well as the Black Plate Gold Pin variety. He comments that these are 3 mica tubes. This doesn't bode well for the eBay tubes' originality...

AM
mad.gif

I just informed the seller that these tubes may be fakes and requested he cancel my bid.

AM
mad.gif

Nov 28, 2003 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 37
Sylvania made a LOT of tubes with the halo getters shown, including their Gold Brand 6201's (which were also double, not triple, mica). I don't have many 5751's, but I do have some experience with some similar tubes.

The likelihood is that those are in fact genuine Sylvania Gold Brand 5751's, but from a different production run than the one the others are talking about. I have no idea how they would compare to the triple mica version.

Sylvania changed production many times over the years, and the appearance of their tubes changed as well.

Nov 28, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #14 of 37
“Sylvania made a LOT of tubes with the halo getters shown, including their Gold Brand 6201's”

Yes but did they make Gold Brand 5751’s like that?

To me they look like flat disk getters. They don’t really look like Halos but flat disks.

The 5751 was a rugedized Military tube. The wimpy thin micas don’t look like any 5751 I’ve seen.

My major point was everyone was yelling, “You’d better hurry up and buy these” without really looking at them with a critical eye.

They might be real. I believe they are bogus for the 3 reasons mentioned previously. $105 is a lot of money to pay for questionable tubes. I’d much rather pay $15 more for a tube that is what it’s advertised to be and easily verified as such.

Mitch

Nov 28, 2003 at 3:38 AM Post #15 of 37
I didn't really look at the picture before, but now I have.. Those could be real, but certainly don't look like the one I have. All the Sylvania's I've seen (and have) have those widely spaced notches along the edges, the ones in the eBay pics are smooth. Really don't resemble any Sylvania's I've ever seen internally. I wouldn't risk it. The printing really looks too good, as I mentioned earlier.

-dd3mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back