Heads up PAYPAL SCAM [not 56k friendly]
Nov 8, 2006 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
I just [size=xx-large]BUSTED[/size] this scam. I got it in my email literally minutes ago:

Thanks for reading this and I hope none of you have fallen into this trap! If you have accidentally typed in your details, I would suggest changing your Paypal password and security questions IMMEDIATELY! Also, pay careful attention when checking your bank/credit card statements for unauthorised usage.

Nov 8, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 29
Another thing to note is that whenever Paypal sends you an official email they will address you by your first name and not as "PayPal member" as shown in milkpowder's post.

Nov 8, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 29
I can't believe people are still falling for these things. Mousing over a link in an email and checking the status bar for the address it points to is one of the first things I always do.

Edit: None the less, good info for those still getting duped.

Nov 8, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 29
The simplest thing to do when you get any such email from paypal/ebay or a scammer is to close all browser windows and then reopen and go to the paypal site directly. If there are actually any discrepencies paypal/ebay should alert you to these when you login.

Nov 8, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 29
Wow
eek.gif
I can't believe how much personal information they ask for. The scammers also went to great lengths to make it look pseudo-official.

There are some bad people in this world.

Nov 8, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda
Wow
eek.gif
I can't believe how much personal information they ask for. The scammers also went to great lengths to make it look pseudo-official.

There are some bad people in this world.

That was exactly how I sniffed out the scam. Paypal has never asked for so much information at the same time. It all clicked when I discovered that the URL wasn't a Paypal one and neither was there a padlock at the bottom of the screen.

Nov 8, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 29
The fact that there are such horrible people in this world doing such things just makes me cringe. Sadly, there will probably will hundreds if not thousands of unsuspecting people who will fall for this or some similar phishing scam. Makes me mad

Nov 8, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 29
They're proliferating, too. I've had (and reported) about FIFTEEN different phishing scams directed at me in the last three weeks alone.

Cover your bases folks. Reputable companies will NEVER ask you to hotlink through email to enter personal identification.

Nov 8, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 29
If memory serves me right, PayPal uses the first and last name when they send an email. If it doesn't have your name, like above, it’s a scam.

Nov 8, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fake Email
As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the
PayPal system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your
account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

Our system requires further account verification.

Case ID Number: PP-140-076-751

Please confirm your Paypal account,click the URL below:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-submit

This is a second reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible. Once
you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account
access.

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to
restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to
ensure account safety.

In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will
remain limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if
access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it
may result in further limitations or eventual account closure. We
encourage you to log in to your PayPal account as soon as possible to help
avoid this.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal
used to make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the
Resolution Center. If, after reviewing your account information, you
seek further clarification regarding your account access, please contact
PayPal by visiting the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us".

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please
understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your
account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department

PayPal Email ID PP638

That's what I got, though google see's that it really came from a fake email (vnafeuvlyrppp@x263.net) to a "mike hickman" (that's not me). And the link goes to http[colon]//siteregisterhome[dot]com.

If in doubt, go to paypal thru paypal. Any issues will pop-up when you log in.

Nov 8, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #14 of 29
I only ever logon to Paypal through Paypal.com

Also, I check to see whether there's the encryption/certificate sign and make sure the URL is correct.

Nov 8, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 29
Anyone stupid enough to fall for one of these phishing schemes deserves to get phished, IMO.
redface.gif
I mean, one has to have a complete lack of common sense to go all the way through with that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back