HeadRooom Desktop Amp
Apr 7, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Merfolk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am about to purchase the HeadRoom Desktop Amp for use with my computer as a source. My headphones are the AKG K701's. I have a good soundcard, the M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Will I hear a noticable difference with the Desktop DAC option?

I use the computer as my primary source with the HR Desktop (maxed out) amp, and I often use the K701. But I have a different soundcard -- X-Fi Elite Pro. I definitely hear a massive difference in my setup with the Desktop DAC.

ADDED: Tell us about the M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Is it something I should consider? I'm not completely happy with the X-Fi.

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 13
I would get the DAC, the general opinion around here is that HR DACs tend to have a good price/performance ratio. Experiment with the line-out from your m-audio card vs. HR's DAC when you get the unit, if you can't hear a difference, just return the amp (with HR's 30 day return policy) and get just the amp without DAC instead.
cool.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would get the DAC, the general opinion around here is that HR DACs tend to have a good price/performance ratio. Experiment with the line-out from your m-audio card vs. HR's DAC when you get the unit, if you can't hear a difference, just return the amp (with HR's 30 day return policy) and get just the amp without DAC instead.
cool.gif

Good suggestion!

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the advice. I am going to order the Headroom Desktop Amp with the DAC option. I'll let you know what improvements I can hear between the DAC and analog inputs.

The M-Audio Audiophile and Delta line of cards are very good, affordable, professional level cards for music recording and production. I think they are the best bang for the buck option for music production. I have used mine to record about 200, mostly jazz, vinyl LPs to digital format. I have been very pleased with the quality of the WAV files.

These cards do not do 5.1 or 7.1 suroundsound or DTS decoding like the X-Fi. Nor do they improve gaming performance like the X-Fi. I have not used the X-Fi, but I have used the Soundblaster Live, which is old. The Audiophile 2496 is an old card too. Mine is 5 years old. It is based on the AKM AK4528 codec. Using the same set of speakers, the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sounded brighter. Also, it had less noise, especially in the treble and midrange. Overall, I though it was a big improvement over the Soundblaster for music listening and recording.

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Merfolk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The M-Audio Audiophile and Delta line of cards are very good, affordable, professional level cards for music recording and production. I think they are the best bang for the buck option for music production. I have used mine to record about 200, mostly jazz, vinyl LPs to digital format. I have been very pleased with the quality of the WAV files.

These cards do not do 5.1 or 7.1 suroundsound or DTS decoding like the X-Fi. Nor do they improve gaming performance like the X-Fi. I have not used the X-Fi, but I have used the Soundblaster Live, which is old. The Audiophile 2496 is an old card too. Mine is 5 years old. It is based on the AKM AK4528 codec. Using the same set of speakers, the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sounded brighter. Also, it had less noise, especially in the treble and midrange. Overall, I though it was a big improvement over the Soundblaster for music listening and recording.

Thanks! I was beginning to think there were no alternatives to Creative Labs. For me, the surround-sound and gaming functions take a backseat to just plain listening to good music. I will plan on looking into M-Audio alternatives. I'd like to be able to move some of my vinyl stuff to digital, too, without too much (any!) loss of detail. Re the HR Desktop amp -- you won't regret it. One of the best features is the full array of digital inputs! It's a solid piece of engineering. I also really like the simple, classic, no-nonsense look of the bricks. You don't get tired of looking at it. Of course, the bottom line is the sound. And here, I'd put it up against the best.

Apr 8, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 13
As far as I know I've not got a great sound card in my Mac Pro, but I'll still hazard a "get it with the DAC" response - it's the best thing I ever did.

I've got everything running through it now, including cabling it through to a power amp to drive my speakers. Be sure to switch off crossfeed if you do that, though
smily_headphones1.gif

And be sure to read TheSloth's thread on the different modules before you buy - he had some good observations about how the K701 and the HD650 react to the different bits.

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #8 of 13
I have a balanced Headroom Desktop system and the CS DAC chip is good, nice resolution. A budget DAC option using the same chip is the Musliland MD10... I have this DAC and it sounds the same! However the balanced rig kills in bass and sound stage. If you want better resolution you will need consider Stellos, Lavrys, etc.

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by all2ofme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know I've not got a great sound card in my Mac Pro, but I'll still hazard a "get it with the DAC" response - it's the best thing I ever did.

I'm not familiar with Macs. Is it a Creative Labs card?
Quote:

I've got everything running through it now, including cabling it through to a power amp to drive my speakers. Be sure to switch off crossfeed if you do that, though
smily_headphones1.gif

I live in an apartment so I seldom use speakers. I'm almost afraid to ask: What happens when crossfeed is left on?
Quote:

And be sure to read TheSloth's thread on the different modules before you buy - he had some good observations about how the K701 and the HD650 react to the different bits.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkoulban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a balanced Headroom Desktop system and the CS DAC chip is good, nice resolution. A budget DAC option using the same chip is the Musliland MD10... I have this DAC and it sounds the same! However the balanced rig kills in bass and sound stage. If you want better resolution you will need consider Stellos, Lavrys, etc.

I'm hearing a lot of rave about balanced, but I'm still on the sidelines, hesitant to take the plunge. The cost of redoing the cables in my headphones is one of my concerns, and the other is cost. Balanced amps tend to run a lot higher. But you've got me thinking, and that's always dangerous. Stellos and Lavrys are balanced headphone amps? I'll google them to learn more.

Apr 8, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #11 of 13
A Mac Pro is a computer, not a sound card - though I see why you read it that way
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry for the confusion! I've not added any 3rd party card to the computer, either.

Nothing awful happens with crossfeed on, just that it sounds a bit muddy. Stereophile's review of the Desktop found much the same and described it well, so I'll link to that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not familiar with Macs. Is it a Creative Labs card?

I live in an apartment so I seldom use speakers. I'm almost afraid to ask: What happens when crossfeed is left on?

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Apr 8, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stellos and Lavrys are balanced headphone amps? I'll google them to learn more.

they are high-end DACs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back