HeadRoom's Stereophile marketing faux pas
Jun 23, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
The current ad is nothing! You don't remember his Stereophile ad from a couple of years ago doing an Isadora Duncan dance routine with a scarf and only in his boxers? I still get clammey just thinking about it . . .

I remember that. That was the day that I was compelled to submerge my face in a vat of bleach.

Jun 23, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #17 of 29
i swung by the bookstore to check out Tyll's ad in Stereophile. C'mon gang he doesn't look THAT bad! It actually matches the prose used in the ad- irreverent but passionate. What I find funny is that the iRiver got free press perching on top of that Microstack! And kudos for Pete Millet getting some exposure too!

Jun 23, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #18 of 29
Frankly I would have rathered some hot woman with some cans over her um...cans?

Yeah yeah, poor taste, but then isn't that the new trend for Stereophile advertizing?
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
advertizing?
biggrin.gif

Durn Canucks, it's spelled advertising, and while we're on the topic, it's color also!
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 12:58 PM Post #20 of 29
I don't think that picture will stir-up as much controversy as the Stereophile Ad with the naked (and hot) employee of Alpha-Core, wearing nothing but Goertz cables around her mommy-things. It took up almost a whole page of "Letters to the Ed". The horror
rolleyes.gif

...and gpalmer, if Canadians want to call a "Z"ee a "Z"eta, or "Z"ed, or whatever they call it, then they are allowed, for putting up with colder climates.
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Durn Canucks, it's spelled advertising, and while we're on the topic, it's color also!
tongue.gif

It's the damn french, not only do all our signs have to be in both French and English (except in Quebec where it's illegal to have English on signs which makes total sense huh
rolleyes.gif
) the sneaky b*****ds have resorted to infiltrating our language in their attempts of assimilation.
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #23 of 29
Yep that's the latest one! Someone please post the earlier one of Dancin' Tyll!
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #24 of 29
The choice of words is hilarious.
I wish you could still get those iriver players, although it would make not spending any more money a near impossibility.

Jun 24, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #25 of 29
I saw that ad, and thought Tyll looked much older than in the other ads and pictures I've seen. I also thought he looked a bit fuller in the face.
Besides, don't you guys know Hawaiin shirts are the "in thing now.
icon10.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #27 of 29
i think the ad is fine.

Tyll is the man, he seems proud of his unique buisness and showing himself in the Ad. I can totally respect that, what should he be embarassed about?
I think it's funny, casual, and sincere. He's really enthusiastic about his product, and the liklihood is so are the consumers, so why should he have to hold back, i think the ad is perfect.

Jun 24, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #28 of 29
^^ Agreed. Plus, they are very memorable ads and they stick out more compared to traditional advertisements.

Jun 24, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #29 of 29
My only objection is to "hurkey jerky." I've never heard that one before. Otherwise, a decent ad of the "ironic, but sincere" school. They're clearly willing to go outside the box (into another box, cf. above), and let people know who they are. No spokesmodels, just Tyll. Fair enough.

6 / 10: Painfully earnest, with the level of pain equal to your feelings about Tyll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back