HeadRoom's "Starter Audiophile Package"
Aug 19, 2006 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jwramp

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a nice set-up for my dorm room on the Carnegie Mellon University campus in Pittsburgh. I saw Headroom's summer deal that they're offering w/ the AKG K701 paired with a Desktop Amp w/ Desktop DAC. I was just wondering what everybody's thoughts were on this set-up. (I already posted this in the Headphones forum)

p.s... i'll probly be using my PowerBook and iPod for the sources.

Aug 20, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 2
That's all good equipment. Thing is, you can save a few hundred or more by buying other gear that's comparable in quality. I just found the K-701 for $299 here:

http://www.djmart.com/akg-k701-headphones.html

You should be able to get a pricematch around there. If you want a DAC with the amp and crossfeed, you might want to look into a used Corda Aria. Those go around $350. A new one runs about $450. That would save you a few hundred. You can also pick up an inexpensive DAC like the Zhalou or the SilverStone EB-01 and add the amp of your choice. You could get a Gilmore Lite, an Eddie Current EC01, a HeadFive, or any number of other quality amps. And you'd still save $200-$400.

If you really like the Headroom, it is a quality unit. It will sound good and there's nothing wrong with it. But if price matters, I think you can get equal quality for less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back