HeadRoom's "Starter Audiophile Package"
Aug 19, 2006 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jwramp

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a nice set-up for my dorm room on the Carnegie Mellon University campus in Pittsburgh. I saw Headroom's summer deal that they're offering w/ the AKG K701 paired with a Desktop Amp w/ Desktop DAC. I was just wondering what everybody's thoughts were on this set-up. (I'll probly post the same thing in the Amps section)

p.s... i'll probly be using my PowerBook and iPod for the sources.

Aug 19, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 18
It is really a terrific deal, especially if you need a DAC. The K701 is one of the best headphones you can get anywhere close to that price range (probably tied with the HD650). The amp/dac combo is an excellent value at that price range.

Aug 19, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 18
If you can afford it, go for it. It's a sweet package. Your source's might be your only hold-up right now (depending on whether or not you rip lossless or MP3). But the upside is, when you finish college and get a better source, you'll have a GREAT headphone system.

Aug 20, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 18
You could always pick up one of the cheap Toshiba (or similar) DVD players to use as a trasport. I'd wager the DAC in the HR amp will sound a lot better than most budget CD/DVD players.

My 2¢,

Nate

Aug 20, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
You could always pick up one of the cheap Toshiba (or similar) DVD players to use as a trasport. I'd wager the DAC in the HR amp will sound a lot better than most budget CD/DVD players.

Oh yes, it would definitely. The DAC stage in this amp, and the similar one in the Micro DAC would definitely blow the heck out of any budget CD/DVD player and would be at least as good as some entry level audiophile players

As for this starter package....it's an super awesome deal. A good price for two great products....a true audiophile grade package that will turn any digital source, into a top grade audiophile system. All you need is a computer with digital output, or a CD transport to complete it.

I'm just envious that I couldn't take advantage of this deal.

Aug 20, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 18
1. At university, you will want/need either closed cans or IEMs. The K701's are very open, which permits sound in and lets sound out. Not cool where you are going.

2. Playing mp3's will not show this setup to it's full potential, or even partial.

I'd say get a more modestly priced portable amp that can be used with an external power supply. If you want a DAC too, look at Headroom's MicroStac for a nice combo. For headphones look at a pair of Audio-Technica A900's, AKG K271's, or Beyerdynamic DT250-80's or 250's. If you don't mind IEM's, Etymotic ER4P's with a P->S adapter cable is even better, and a steal at their price.

All IMO, of course.

Aug 20, 2006 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 18
There is nothing wrong with the Headroom's TotalBitHead. It is a very competitive portable that can use your USB port on your computer and has a battery life that is useable, unlike the MicroStack (IMO). I prefer the MicroStac for sound but that battery life issue is a killer for me as for using it in a portable way. If you do not need the portable factor go for the MicroStac with Desktop module.

Headphones at your price point with a Totalbithead or MicroStac:

DT880s (closed) or the AT-A900 (closed) or get the new Shure IEM something with a 500 model number.

Edit: For anyone stoping reading with this post. The DT880s are semi-open and actually for me fully open. I was typing DT880 while thinking DT770 which are closed.

Aug 20, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
At university, you will want/need either closed cans or IEMs.

You know, the more I think about it the better that advice sounds. Also, I think the Micro stack is a great idea. In your room you could use it wall powered with the DAC but on-the-go you could bring just your DAP, the amp and the closed cans and have a nice library setup.

Aug 20, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #11 of 18
A thought on IEMs in college- I used a pair of UM2 for about a month, and I can't tell you how many cell phone calls or other spatial cues (knocking on the door, etc.) I missed because there was too much isolation. IMHO closed full-size cans are the best choice here, as you don't bother others but preserve a connection to the rest of the world. Headphiled Darth Beyers and the K340 come to mind.

A thought on portability- I thought a portable setup in college was the holy grail, but it turned out that when I owned the Micro Stack, I just used it as a desktop setup. Your listening habits may be different and you may want to listen while out and about, or you may end up like me. Portable is not always the best answer here.

Aug 20, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
You know, the more I think about it the better that advice sounds. Also, I think the Micro stack is a great idea. In your room you could use it wall powered with the DAC but on-the-go you could bring just your DAP, the amp and the closed cans and have a nice library setup.

i agree with the closed-cans suggestion. However, i do find it interesting that you guys can actually study with GOOD music all over you
blink.gif

Aug 20, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang
i agree with the closed-cans suggestion. However, i do find it interesting that you guys can actually study with GOOD music all over you
blink.gif

That's the thing with me though- if I go to the library, its for absolute concentration. A portable rig makes that all for naught. I can do certain work in certain moods with music on, and for other work I need absolutely no distractions.

Aug 20, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05
Portable is not always the best answer here.

Agreed. But space often is in a university living situation. A portable amp with a PS option is a great way to get the best of both.

The IEM isolation thing is a double-edged sword. As you mentioned, it really isolates you, which can be good and not-so-good depending on the specific situation. If you want to listen to music while studying in a library, or not want to hear your dorm-mates screaming down the hallways when in your room, they are great. Even still, I always recommend IEM's with a caveat.

Btw [slwiser], Beyer DT880's are not closed. They are technically 'semi-open', and for all intents & purposes function as openly as any other open can. FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back