HeadRoom Total BitHead OR Total AirHead+EB01
Nov 6, 2006 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

santiu

Head-Fier
Like the title says, between the HeadRoom Total BitHead OR Total AirHead with an EB01, which would you recommend?

Or do you have any other DAC + amp combo suggestions around that price range?

thanks
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 13
oh, sorry if i wasn't clear. I'm wondering if I should get the BitHead (alone) or alternatively get the AirHead and get an EB01 provide the input. Or maybe some other USB-DAC and Amp combo that costs about the same.

Nov 6, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 13
Unless you want the portability of the Bithead, I would get the EB-01 and the best small amp your budget would allow you to get with it. If you are willing to go used there are alot of great smaller amps you could pair with the eb-01 that would sound great.

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 13
Yeah, an eb-01 plus say a go-vibe v5 would likely be an improvement over a total bithead in all ways except portability. I think in the current market the airhead isn't really priced competitively for what it is; but the bithead does offer a combination of ability and portability that is only really matched by the Porta Corda.

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by santiu
oh, sorry if i wasn't clear. I'm wondering if I should get the BitHead (alone) or alternatively get the AirHead and get an EB01 provide the input. Or maybe some other USB-DAC and Amp combo that costs about the same.

I see.

As I say, I'm not familiar with those DACs but as mentioned above it really depends on how portable you'd like it to be.

ATM I'm enjoying my Porta Corda MkIII-USB using the DAC with my notebook listening to CD(Ozric Tentacles--the bass is blowing my mind). It works might fine with my Darth Beyers. Compared to using the analog input from one of my full size source options, the Porta Corda(using the USB DAC) sounds much more detailed with less bloat.

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 13
thanks for the suggestions so far guys... portability is not a concern at all. The main issue is cost... just so happens that all the lower cost items also seem to be quite portable
tongue.gif

If it makes any difference I will use this as my work setup, and i use two headphones there: Grado SR-60's and Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's (when the noisy grado's start to bug other people or I feel like being isolated).

Nov 7, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 13
I vote for the TotalBitHead as one of the best ways to sample the waters of HeadFi, if you are going to use computers as a source. Of course you will upgrade over time <one of the HeadFi mantras> The TotalBitHead will always be a great traveling setup to use with a laptop.

Yes there are better DACs, and better AMPs but its small size and easy portability sell it in my opinion.

Nov 7, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 13
Personally, I'd spend the money on better headphones. It is utterly ridiculous to suggest that the SR60 need amping. I really doubt you will hear any difference. What is your source atm? Is it noisy?

IMO, the headphones are the most important. Save for better headphones like the SR-225 or a higher-end Senn like the HD595, HD580/600...

Nov 7, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 13
Or at the very least step up the $30 for SR-80s. The SR60s are are very noticeably inferior. IMO, once you get to the SR80, the improvement per dollar ratio falls off a cliff as you edge your way up).

I'm using an E-mu 0404 for source to a Presonus HP4 that acts as my headphone amp and the preamp to my digitally amped loudspeakers. You can get the 0404 for less than $80 at retail with MiRs, Guitar Center carries the HP4 for MSRP $99, and the SR-80s are usually $100 shipped (all USD). Not the best kit in the world, but you're going to have an extremely hard time beating it for the price.

Now, if you've got more money to spend . . .
rs1smile.gif

Kensai

Nov 7, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 13
yeah, i know it's a slippery slope. I already have notions of getting a pair of SR-225's or AKG K-601's around X-mas time (I love a reason to buy myself a present).

In the mean time, i figured I'd make my source and amp sound better. Right now i listen out the headphone jack of a M-Audio FastTrack.

Nov 8, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Personally, I'd spend the money on better headphones. It is utterly ridiculous to suggest that the SR60 need amping. I really doubt you will hear any difference. What is your source atm? Is it noisy?

IMO, the headphones are the most important. Save for better headphones like the SR-225 or a higher-end Senn like the HD595, HD580/600...

Generally I agree here, though I do think even the SR-60 sounds better with an amp, it isn't night and day like with a less sensitive headphone. But I also appreciate the idea of gradually improving one part of the chain at a time.

Nov 8, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #13 of 13
Since portability is not an issue I would encourage you to listen to the Silverstone EB01 and a Musical Fideltiyt X-Can V2. Total cost about $270 delivered.

The V2 is an sleeper often overlooked here, you can get one used for about $160 to $175 delivered and it sounds fantastic. Otherwise the Go-Vibe 5 is a great sounding little amp which could pull dual function as a home/portable amp. If you use the Go-Vibe 5 as a home a wallwart is highly recommended. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back