HeadRoom Portable Desktop Amp - Opinions?
Mar 31, 2008 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MaloS

Headphoneus Supremus
As the title says...

I am looking at more developed portable/transportable amp/dac combos available on the market. It is set to compete with pairing of Ultra Micro DAC and Micro Amp pairing ($1000 vs $1200), but has 1/4" and 1/8" output jacks, along with being bound to one chassis, and retaining the line-out on the back.

Now...how does it perform?
Opinions on it with Senns or ATs?
Anyone compared it vs Desktop amps from HeadRoom? Corda Opera, Cantante?

Apr 1, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 12
Hi Stas

I cant answer your exact question, because I havent tried the Headroom Desktop Portable, but I've been using a Portable Micro Amp (with DAC) on loan for a few weeks and I think it does a great job both as an intergrated DAC+amp or a DAC into my Woo amp. I've used it via USB at all times, with HD650, AD2000 and ESW9 and I've found it to be very enjoyable so far with all.

I would assume the Desktop Portable would offer even more. Hopefully someone who has one can comment
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 12
Oh wow, I did not realize there was one that can act as a combo. I wonder then - what is its tonality, since I don't think HeadRoom products are particularly neutral.

Apr 4, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 12
Stas, I did some more listening to answer your question, using the ESW9 also on loan to me and the AD2000.

I think the Portable Micro, when used as an amp, has a pleasantly warm yet relatively detailed sound. It does have a slightly bassy signature when used as an amp. Its definitely not in the cold analytical/neutral group of solid state amps, and the treble energy was never overdone with the ATH headphones, treble was never edgy or sharp.

I've used it as a DAC via the rear output labelled "Volume Controlled Line Out", (low gain and volume turned up), into my Woo6. I haven't sampled enough DACs over a long audition period to place this in sonic context or ranking, but its a very nice sounding little unit all round for its size and versatility.

Don't know if that helps you much...where are these Desktop portable owners already :p

Apr 4, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for taking the time to listen, this does help (keep in mind, HeadRoom is notorious for tuning all their products to have the same signature).

Now if someone with a portable desktop pitched in...
Well, and now I am researching their balanced desktop amp too.

Apr 4, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 12
I'm interested too and asked the question about the portable desktop before. Didn't really get too many responses as it doesn't seem that too many people have it. There's some info in the headroom section you might want to look at.

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Stas

I cant answer your exact question, because I havent tried the Headroom Desktop Portable, but I've been using a Portable Micro Amp (with DAC) on loan for a few weeks and I think it does a great job both as an intergrated DAC+amp or a DAC into my Woo amp. I've used it via USB at all times, with HD650, AD2000 and ESW9 and I've found it to be very enjoyable so far with all.

I would assume the Desktop Portable would offer even more. Hopefully someone who has one can comment
smily_headphones1.gif

Wait, are you saying that you have a headroom product that is a DAC\AMP in a micro case?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, are you saying that you have a headroom product that is a DAC\AMP in a micro case?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think he's referring to the HR Portable Micro Amp with Dac Option

Ya, HeadRoom Micro Amp can be had with DAC inside now, not too expensive either, similarly priced to Pico.

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Portable Micro, when used as an amp, has a pleasantly warm yet relatively detailed sound. It does have a slightly bassy signature when used as an amp. Its definitely not in the cold analytical/neutral group of solid state amps, and the treble energy was never overdone with the ATH headphones, treble was never edgy or sharp.

I agree. I've been using one for a little while now and that's how I would describe it also. It's a great little combo unit. I would imagine that the Desk top model would be a bit more ballsy - having a beeter amp and upgraded parts (along with more room in the case in which to impliment those parts).

Apr 5, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #12 of 12
Holy wow, yeah I follow headroom developments fairly closely and I had no idea they had put both units in one box. That looks pretty sick. However, I just bought a woo6. If this had come out a year or two ago it would certainly be my amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back