Headroom More Static?
Apr 23, 2002 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone every used one of these with a tube amp? If I read it right it is an outboard processor?

Apr 24, 2002 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm curious about this product too. I meant to call Todd. The Static costs more than the Little and the Little has a crossfeed filter too. I guess the Static's is better but it'd be nice to get some definition to that assumption.

Apr 24, 2002 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 11
I've used a Static with my EMP ever since I purchased the amp (almost two years ago) and I love the sound. You can always give it a try and return it if it's not your cup of tea.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2002 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 11
Looking at the title I have no idea what it does. The first thing I thought was 'More Static? Yuck! Bzzzt'
eek.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 25, 2002 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 11
Does Headroom still make these even? I'd be very interested in getting one if they do.

Apr 25, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 11
I tried a Static with my Wheatfield HA-2 and Sennheiser HD600 cans. I really liked what the crossfeed circuit did to the imaging, particularly with voices. The downside was that it really rolled off the highs, so much so that it destroyed the "air" and sense of space. Another positive thing about it was that it really tightened the bass which is a positive thing with tube amps. The Max has the same crossfeed circuit with similar characteristics. Check the Corda site for DIY crossfeeds that don't suppress the high frequencies.

Apr 25, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #8 of 11
Is there not a switch on the Static that restores the high frequencies? Or does it just not work well?

Apr 25, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Is there not a switch on the Static that restores the high frequencies? Or does it just not work well?

The Static has the "filter" switch, which, when engaged, restores most of the loss at the top end. If I'm using a "darker" sounding phone like the HD 600, I bypass the the Static. With cans like the CD 3000 and SR 325's, there is ample extension to play with. I think it's with phones like these that the Static performs best.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2002 at 5:07 PM Post #10 of 11
There is a switch that is supposed to restore the highs, but it doesn't bring the uppermost frequencies or the sense of space back into the music. I remember reading in a thread some time ago that this was done intentionally because Tyll thinks it sounds better. Something about less fatiguing....? Anyhow, I realize that it's a matter of opinion and mine is that while the crossfeed helps to make the listening experience more natural, the roll off of the highs takes away from it. Not everyone can hear those frequencies though so you may not find it objectionable.

Apr 25, 2002 at 5:44 PM Post #11 of 11
I really look forward to borrowing a Maxed Out Home now. When I compared the Max and Corda at the Dallas meet, I thought the Corda had more extension but with long term listening to other amps, I've begun to find the Corda a little on the grainy side. I almost wonder if some of the upper detail I perceived the Corda to have might have just been glare compared to the Max. Likewise, I've been questioning myself about whether I may have had the crossfeed engaged and not realized it at the time.

Those of you with MOH/Max: Without crossfeed on and the filter in the neutral/off position, do you perceive the amp to roll off the highs? (Ie, do any of you but the amp in high filter on mode while NOT engaging the crossfeed to restore those highs? If so, does it work?)

Curiouser and curiouser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back