Headroom Module Archive thread
Dec 15, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #91 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In Jan 1997, I had Headroom install the Premium Module into a 1995-built Little. After 10 years, I finally peaked under the hood. All the module components had their labels covered with black ink, as I also noticed in some of your photos. A few Q-tips, 99% isopropyl alchohol, and a solid 10 minutes "cleaning (or more like scrubbing!) time" allows one a better look:

IMG_9077_061124_235824_module.jpg

Also, for those curious, here's a peak under the hood of a 1997-built More Power Supply unit.

Thanks for posting that. I didn't see it until now - always glad to have more images of old HeadRoom stuff.

You can see from the photograph clearly that the module design really didn't change except for some component and layout changes (and the 13th pin) until '04.

Jan 21, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #92 of 111
I'm wondering if you can shed any light on the modules that were installed in the Blockhead over the years? Were the original 2002 versions the same as the ones used in other Headroom gear? And since then, there was the 2004 Reference upgrade, and now the '06 Max modules apparently can be retrofitted into the Blockhead. So:

2002 Blockhead: ??
2004 Blockhead: 2004 Reference Module
2006 Blockhead upgrade: '06 Max Module

Is that right? Any others over the years?

Jan 21, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #93 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by flohmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if you can shed any light on the modules that were installed in the Blockhead over the years? Were the original 2002 versions the same as the ones used in other Headroom gear? And since then, there was the 2004 Reference upgrade, and now the '06 Max modules apparently can be retrofitted into the Blockhead. So:

2002 Blockhead: ??
2004 Blockhead: 2004 Reference Module
2006 Blockhead upgrade: '06 Max Module

Is that right? Any others over the years?

Hi flohmann,

As far as I understand, all BlockHeads that shipped before the 2004 module change came with the pre '04 reference module described here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...0&postcount=20.

Things have moved on quite a way from there, and to my ears even the current Desktop Module has a better blend of strengths will all headphones, but particularly with lower impedance modules. The '06 Home Module is a very cost effective upgrade for a 2002 BlockHead and should yield a very significant sonic difference if the Max is just too expensive for you.

Jan 23, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #96 of 111
From post 21...
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*A final note regarding HeadRoom Modules: This '06 revision is most likely to be the last set of modules with the current, standardised pin count. HeadRoom are working on some exciting things for the future and cannot impliment them with the number of pins currently available on the module. So this is the end of the line for the convertible, and as far as upgrading your existing amp, there is little point waiting for another revision: there isn't going to be one. If you are interested in the upgrade, just do it.

In other words, don't hold your breath...

Jan 29, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #98 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't even hold your breath: there will be no other compatable modules.

In which case, perhaps an homage to the old, once state of the art product line is in order:

Total BitHead:
InsideTotalBitheadBig.jpg

Supreme:
InsideSupremeBig.JPG

Cosmic:
InsideCosmicBig.JPG

Little:
InsideLittleBig.JPG

Home:
InsideHomeBig.jpg

Maxed Out Home:
InsideMaxedHomeBig.JPG

Max:
InsideMaxBig.JPG

BlockHead:
InsideBlockheadBig1.JPG

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #99 of 111
Quote:

From post 21...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't even hold your breath: there will be no other compatable modules.

No Comment on when the 2007 Modules will be coming? or at least if they will be at the meet in San Jose?

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #100 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Comment on when the 2007 Modules will be coming? or at least if they will be at the meet in San Jose?

Are you being facetious, or did you simply not understand what has been said very clearly already?

There will be no more modules of this type, EVER. The replacements, involving a complete top to bottom redesign of the entire amplifier line will not be arriving for at least 2 years, and that is a conservative estimate. I have no information on this, nor is any information available or going to be available until nearer that time.

Jan 29, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #101 of 111
Quote:

From post 21...

Quote:

Are you being facetious, or did you simply not understand what has been said very clearly already?

There will be no more modules of this type, EVER. The replacements, involving a complete top to bottom redesign of the entire amplifier line will not be arriving for at least 2 years, and that is a conservative estimate. I have no information on this, nor is any information available or going to be available until nearer that time.

From your post before you made it sound like there wouldn't be anymore modules with that pin count and they will be designing something newer than you started talking about upgrading your existing amp and not waiting because there will be no new modules with the current pin counts.

I ment different modules with different pin counts which you failed to understand clearly but your a smart guy so you will clearly miss this just like you did before.

Have fun being
mad.gif
all the time

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #102 of 111
After some very pleasant interludes by the member above, I have a small adjunct to the module archive, which is a comparison of the old (200x - 2007) wallwart with the new wall wart that is gradually rolling out on an 'as needed' basis in the Desktop line. I have no details as yet on when, if ever, the low end Desktop and Micro Amps will come with this PSU as standard.

Basics:

The old 'brick' is a simple linear regulated PSU, with a maximum current output of 240mA per rail. The new 'brick' is a larger, switching PSU, with a maximum current output of well over 1A per rail. The original PSU is set to a specific input voltage, whereas the new switcher is universal. The new switcher is a fair bit larger and heavier than the brick - something to be considered for those wanting to take two with them along with a Micro Stack.

Conventional PSU wisdom suggests that, within its current limitations, the old linear regulated PSU will be better than the new switcher, but as always with audio electronics, knowing the technology at the heart of a design does not tell you for certain how well it will actually sound in a given circuit/system.

My first comparison is with Max '06 Modules, using analogue inputs. In this configuration, the power consumption is getting towards the top end of the 'brick' output, but still within it. Headphones are HD 650's, with stock cable. I can't imagine anyone will have this configuration, as I would assume anyone with Max Modules will have a DPS, but it makes a good comparison at the upper limit of the old PSU.

This isn't a subtle difference in this config. Switching back and forth between the two, there seems to be reduced channel seperation and rolled off frequency extremes with the old brick, as well as slow and muddy bass. The new switcher seems to improve on all of these issues - the top end opens up significantly, and the bass is definitely cleaner. The high end is the most major area of improvement, where ambient details in the high harmonics fall into place where they seem to be simply absent with the old PSU. The switcher might err a hair too far in that direction, with the sound at least from my first impressions being slightly edgy where the old one was rolled off. Even with that caveat, given the choice, I'd go for the new PSU in this instance.

As a final test, running the amp at high gain with no source, and the volume control set to maximum yields a slightly lower noise floor with the new supply.

This is a worst case scenario for the old supply, as it is at the top of its ouptut range and has little or no dynamic headroom available. The next installment will deal with an 'absolute quality' situation, where the old PSU will be operating well within its output capability.

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #103 of 111
TheSloth,
What transformer is in this new switching PSU? Is it toroidal? Just curious, if it is possible that you can post a picture of the inside of this PSU will be very helpful. Any way it is too late for me as I am building "super" PSU by using amb's sigma22 board now.
icon10.gif

P.S. Finally I finished the upgrade of my '04 Premium Module to '05 Max Module level (Why I don't say it is '05 Max now is I will replace 2134s with 627(maybe 827) later) by myself, it is amazing to see $50 parts can make this kind of sound quality difference.
580smile.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #104 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S. Finally I finished the upgrade of my '04 Premium Module to '05 Max Module level (Why I don't say it is '05 Max now is I will replace 2134s with 627(maybe 827) later) by myself, it is amazing to see $50 parts can make this kind of sound quality difference.
580smile.gif

That's very impressive Applegd, and I'm pleased I was able to help you out along the way.

Please take some pictures and post them here when you change the opamps - it is after all a new module, albeit one of a kind. The folks at HeadRoom would enjoy it also.

From the size of the PSU I'd say no it is not toroidal. I am assuming it is actually very similar to the one in the original brick. I have some shots of the old brick innards that I'll post - the new brick didn't look as simple to take apart, but I'll take a look anyway.

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #105 of 111
Quote:

That's very impressive Applegd, and I'm pleased I was able to help you out along the way.

Please take some pictures and post them here when you change the opamps - it is after all a new module, albeit one of a kind. The folks at HeadRoom would enjoy it also.

I will post the hi-def picture of my module when I upgrade 2134 to 2827.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back