Headroom Micro vs. Meier Corda Headfive
Aug 20, 2006 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cconroy

Head-Fier
I've searched an been unable to find a comparison between these two amps, which seems odd to me because they are both SS, generally well regarded, and in about the same price range.

Personally, I don't care about portability--so I think for this comparison to be fair we should ignore the fact that the micro is portable and just compare on SQ alone. And, the reason *I* am asking this question is becuase right now I'm deciding between them to amp a future pair of HD650s, so I would appreciate any comments about how they synergize there, but the purpose of the thread is really just a straight up VS. between the Micro and H5.

(The only references to a comparison between the two that my search yielded was a couple of people asking for comparisons in the big Headfive thread but getting no responses....so I know others are/were interested as well)

Aug 20, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconroy
I've searched an been unable to find a comparison between these two amps, which seems odd to me because they are both SS, generally well regarded, and in about the same price range.

Personally, I don't care about portability--so I think for this comparison to be fair we should ignore the fact that the micro is portable and just compare on SQ alone. And, the reason *I* am asking this question is becuase right now I'm deciding between them to amp a future pair of HD650s, so I would appreciate any comments about how they synergize there, but the purpose of the thread is really just a straight up VS. between the Micro and H5.

(The only references to a comparison between the two that my search yielded was a couple of people asking for comparisons in the big Headfive thread but getting no responses....so I know others are/were interested as well)

HeadRoom advantages:

Clean battery power
Discrete output stage
Multiple gain settings
Size

Meier advantages:

Better stock AC supply
1/4" headphone output
Alps Blue potentiometer
Price

Common features:

Crossfeed, though differently implimented.

Aug 20, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 9
I've actually heard the two side by side (although not for an extended period.)
We had both of these amps right next to each other at the London meet http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191473

I can only comment on my opinions, not many people seemed to do a comparison, but I can say that the Headfive was, in my opinion, a more pleasant listen. It seemed more musical and refined, better bass. It's a far warmer amp than the Micro, though, so if you don't like that type of sound be aware.

I have nothing against the Headroom product, I actually think the MicroDAC is one of the best value products out there in any form, but the Micro Amp just didn't do it for me.
Again, though, I'd like to reiterate that my listening time on these two for comparison was quite limited.
And I was using a pair of Headphile modded HF-1s and a pair of K701s while I was listening to these. (Used both headphones on both amps.)

Aug 20, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconroy

I have not done AB test with these two but for SS amps, I feel Meier makes a very good product. And dont forget the new FOTM Heed amp!
wink.gif

Aug 20, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy
I have not done AB test with these two but for SS amps, I feel Meier makes a very good product. And dont forget the new FOTM Heed amp!
wink.gif

I do not quite agree the Heed is the SS FOTM. But it is the best SS headphone amp under $750.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 9
Guess not too many people have much experience with these two amps.

I'm in the same boat too with my HD650s. I've already bought the H5 from another member and should be getting the MicroAmp in about a week's time.

I'll post my thoughts when I get them in and have had a chance to run them through.

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 9
Thought I'd post my opinion regarding these two amps, in case someone else finds themselves in the same boat.

The headphone of choice to use are my HD650s and I had a variety of music to test out both amps.

I generally selected a timeframe of a song to playback over a few times and swapped the headphone from one amp to the other amp.

I thought both amps are very good at driving the HD650s. I also felt that both amps delivered a very clean sound and when the volume pot was turned up all the way (with nothing playing of course) they were both very quiet. What I did notice with the MicroAmp was without the battery inserted, a low-level buzz/hum was audible when the volume was turned to around the 1 o'clock mark (with nothing playing). Obviously, playing music at that level will cause severe hearing damage. Another quirk, regarding the MicroAmp, was when I touched it, it also created a buzz sound with the batteries removed. The buzzing noise was eliminated when batteries were inserted. Dunno why that is, but it's a minor quirk.

So, back to the sound...I'm just a casual listener that enjoys good quality equipment, so I'm not good with the terms associated to describe the details of the music. What I did come to a conclusion was how the MicroAmp delivered a solid, clean, and exact sound. The best for me to describe it, it's like an equation, exact. 1+1 will always equal 2. Each beat/note/whatever that's being played is exactly that. Whereas the HeadFive, I felt that beats/notes/etc would linger a tad longer before the next part of the music is played. Sorry for the bad metaphor, but that's the best I can describe it, from a casual point of view.

I love both amps for what they are and how they can interpret your music in two different ways.

One thing that I did enjoy with the HeadFive, was the fact it uses 1/4 inch, instead of having an adaptor for the MicroAmp. Space does get a tad cramped when you have an interconnect plugged at the input and your bulging 1/4 inch next to it.

I think if I were to choose between the two, I'd go for the HeadFive because of the quirks of the MicroAmp. Soundwise, I'm leaning more to the MicroAmp. I like my sound to be precise and exact. The relaxed sound of the HeadFive, makes me think it's being lazy. Crossfeed, on both amps, were turned off.

Hope that somewhat helps.

UPDATE 1: I was listening to Bridge Over Troubled Water by Mary J. Blige & Andrea Bocelli and the HeadFive had a noticeably larger soundstage than the MicroAmp. The first minute of Bocelli's solo just tells it all. The echo of his voice was more apparent than the MicroAmp, again crossfeed was turned off for both amps. Still difficult to decide which I prefer more, since they both sound great. I don't think any wrong can be done purchasing one over the other regarding sound quality.

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankTheRabbit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I did notice with the MicroAmp was without the battery inserted, a low-level buzz/hum was audible when the volume was turned to around the 1 o'clock mark (with nothing playing). Obviously, playing music at that level will cause severe hearing damage. Another quirk, regarding the MicroAmp, was when I touched it, it also created a buzz sound with the batteries removed. The buzzing noise was eliminated when batteries were inserted. Dunno why that is, but it's a minor quirk.

Wow... never had any issues with low-level buzz with battery removed (which I tend to have most of time). I have also never had the buzzing noise that you were referring to. Do you have some kind of a ground loop perhaps?

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #9 of 9
Maybe it's the year model? The DAC is from 2005 and the MicroAmp is from 2006. I don't know anything about ground loop?

Basically, if there's a battery or battery operated, there's no hum or buzz. Without a battery inserted, there is a noticeable hum. The amp & dac both exhibit this little quirk. Having the battery inserted isn't a permanent fix, but a bearable one though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back