Headroom Micro Amp + HD600s?
Sep 19, 2008 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ender137

New Head-Fier
Hey all...

My wallet took a recent hit as I bought HD600s and Headroom Micro Amp (both coming in the mail). When I bought this set-up, I was remembering how awesome HD600s sounded (I preferred it over the HD650s and even the HE60s O.o) when I heard them at a Head-fi meet. But it didn't occur to me that maybe the Micro Amp doesn't have enough power to drive the HD600s the way that I heard them (I heard them through a non-portable amp... - an aside, does the Micro Amp count as portable?).

Anyway, I wanted your takes... Is the Headroom Micro Amp enough for the HD600s or should i try to sell it for something else? (and if so, what else? - limit under 250)

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 12
I too love the 600s, prefer over the 650's. No experience with the Micro Amp, but my two portable amps (iQube and Predator) do drive the 600s OK.

HOWEVER I must admit the 600s sound better with a full size amp, no doubt about that. I use the Head Direct EF1 which is $399. I'm sure there are good ones at the $250 price point too, but I am not a good source of info on these.

Choose tubes if you can for the 600.

Sep 19, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 12
I had a Micro Amp and it had plenty of power for my HD 650 and sounded very good. Great build quality but bad battery life steered me away from it. Of course if you use AC power that won't matter.

Sep 19, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 12
Ender137, use my HR Micro amp with my HD650 on a very regular basis and love the combination. Granted, I've heard better, but for this price point, it does a great job and takes up little space at my office. I think you'll be pleased...

Sep 21, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender137 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyway, I wanted your takes... Is the Headroom Micro Amp enough for the HD600s or should i try to sell it for something else? (and if so, what else? - limit under 250)

Thanks!

i use a portable micro dac/amp with 650's and think it has plenty of juice to drive them. also think the sound is very good. i use the crossfeed as often as not. i also use the headroom to feed into my bryston amp from my mac and find it sounds very good there too. very versatile kit.

have also used headrooms warranty service. no hassles and quite fast.

Sep 21, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 12
My first headphone set up, before I even knew about headphone forums, was the microamp with 580s. Are there amps out there that can drive the 600s better, including those from headroom's own line? Sure, but your set up is fine, and if you like the Senn sound (I do), I think you'll be quite happy.

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 12
If you bought your HR micro straight from HR, don't forget that you can try it for 30 days and if you decide that it isn't working for you- return it for a full refund. No need to deal with trying to sell it as used, just return it.

Ruahrc

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #11 of 12
Sweet. Thanks for all your inputs...

I listened to them for the first time last night. Sounded marvelous... but I was wondering about this whole "crossfeed" and "gain" thing on the HR amp.

Sep 23, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #12 of 12
Crossfeed mixes the channels a little with time delay to make it seem like you have speakers in front of you.

Gain changes how much the amplifier multiplies the input signal voltage, so with sensitive headphones (like in ear monitors) you can pick low gain and have a wide range on the volume knob in which you can use. With harder to drive headphones (like HD650), low gain may be too quiet, so you use medium or high gain to get more adequate volume out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back