Headroom Micro AMP + DAC
Jan 31, 2012 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Vicks7

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I am returning to headfi after a few years absence - I have been concentrating on my two-channel system but now getting back into headphones.

I have the Micro DAC and Amp which I bought several years ago and have the following questions:

1. For computer audio, using a Lenovo X201 and Itunes, how is it best to configure my computer to get the best out of this combination? (presumably using the USB connection.) In Device Manager, the Sound Card is referred to as "High Definition Audio Device" - a Microsoft Driver. Perhaps I also need a better sound card.

2. What portable sources are people using these days with this combination? Years ago when I bought the Amp and DAC I purchased a Sony Portable CD Player (NE-920) with digital out. Great sound. is there anything better out there? I have an Iphone 4 but I presume there is still no way of getting a digital out from the Iphone.

Thanks

James

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 4
Sorry, I would add that I have an Ipad 2 as well but I guess same issue as Iphone - no digital out.
Thanks
James

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Hi All,

I am returning to headfi after a few years absence - I have been concentrating on my two-channel system but now getting back into headphones.

I have the Micro DAC and Amp which I bought several years ago and have the following questions:

1. For computer audio, using a Lenovo X201 and Itunes, how is it best to configure my computer to get the best out of this combination? (presumably using the USB connection.) In Device Manager, the Sound Card is referred to as "High Definition Audio Device" - a Microsoft Driver. Perhaps I also need a better sound card.

2. What portable sources are people using these days with this combination? Years ago when I bought the Amp and DAC I purchased a Sony Portable CD Player (NE-920) with digital out. Great sound. is there anything better out there? I have an Iphone 4 but I presume there is still no way of getting a digital out from the Iphone.

Thanks

James

1) For computer audio, the USB input on the Micro DAC is limited to 16 bit/44.1kHz (CD quality) audio. If you are looking into possibly downloading high res music (24/96), then I would suggest a USB to SPDIF converter like the Hiface (http://www.m2tech.biz/hiface.html ) although there are other cheaper options available I'm sure. The Micro DAC supports 24/96 on its coax/toslink input according o the website.
2) For iPhone4, one option you have (although with no digital out) is getting a line out dock like this one available through Headroom (http://www.headphone.com/accessories/sendstation-ipod-pocket-dock-line-out-mini-usb.php ). Although it is not a digital signal, it is a line level signal that can be amplified through the Micro AMP instead of through the iPhones headphone jack.

For the iPad, I've read that digital audio out capability is possible using the Camera Connector Kit (CCK), but don't know much else beyond that. Try searching for some threads concerning the CCK, or else there is this thread on using the iPad with USB DACs (http://www.head-fi.org/t/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad) although some involve using a powered USB hub.

Good luck! 

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 4
Many thanks Thrand1.

I am listening to the Micro Stack now with my Grado 325is and playing Itunes through Foobar 2000 with the USB Dac connection and it is sounding great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back