HeadRoom Micro Amp+DAC VS Woo Audio 6
Dec 7, 2009 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bamboo5354

100+ Head-Fier
Looking to buy an amp for my Denon AH-D2000 headphone but don't know which one is better for me. I mostly listen to APE, FLAC, and WAV files on my computer, sometime some gaming as well. They are both about the same price please help me out! Need advice!

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 12
Technically speaking I'm certain that the WA6 is a better amp overall (though not by that much IIRC), but as far as D2000 is concerned Headroom micro may be enough. You may want to read up on how the two synergize, though, and there is the Tube vs Solid State issue. For what it's worth, I did hear good thing about Head-Direct EF1 that I have (and will soon sell due to me getting the WA6...) with the D2000's as being one of the best matches, and I believe EF1 and Headroom Micro is roughly in the same class.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 12
For D2000, SS amps are better than tube. Overall, the WA6 is a better amp, but with the D2000 you will prefer the Micro (Micro uses the same electronics as my Desktop, and I absolutely love my Desktop with my D5000).

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 12
if you dont have a DAC, i believe the Headroom setup with a micro dac will sound WAAAAY better than a just a WA6. Always remember...garbage in garbage out. Source should always be the first upgrade imo.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 12
they might, i cant remember if they have in the past or not.

keep a eye out in their forum though...im sure they will post about it. Chat with the guys there too, they are all fantastic people to deal with, ive met most of them personally over the years.

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 12
I have both amps and have tried them with D2000 in the past, and while both are good with the D2000 I still prefer the WA6 for it's overall performance. It seems to do well with the low impedance phones that like a lot current.

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technically speaking I'm certain that the WA6 is a better amp overall (though not by that much IIRC), but as far as D2000 is concerned Headroom micro may be enough. You may want to read up on how the two synergize, though, and there is the Tube vs Solid State issue. For what it's worth, I did hear good thing about Head-Direct EF1 that I have (and will soon sell due to me getting the WA6...) with the D2000's as being one of the best matches, and I believe EF1 and Headroom Micro is roughly in the same class.

have u compared the headroom desktop or dac/amp combo to the wa6 of the wa6 se?

i dont think micro would be strong enough for m y d 7000.

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both amps and have tried them with D2000 in the past, and while both are good with the D2000 I still prefer the WA6 for it's overall performance. It seems to do well with the low impedance phones that like a lot current.

have u compared to the wa6 to the headroom desktop amp?

aso have u heard the wa6 se?

would i be better off with a wa6 se consideering it the same price as an hr amp/dac ultra?

wa6 dosent have a bass knob correct?

thanks

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have u compared to the wa6 to the headroom desktop amp?

Not directly. They've been in the same room at a meet, but not side by side and I wasn't interested enough to run back and forth comparing them, but the HR Balanced Desktop is a nice amp and I enjoyed it at the meets.

aso have u heard the wa6 se?

No, just the WA6. The WA22 sounds like my maxed WA6, but with a bigger soundstage and better separation, and more power. The WA6 SE will also have more power than my WA6, but I can't guess about whether it sounds closer to my WA6 or the WA22.

would i be better off with a wa6 se consideering it the same price as an hr amp/dac ultra?

I just don't know, sorry.

wa6 dosent have a bass knob correct?

thanks

No tone controls on the Woo amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back