Headroom Micro Amp/DAC or the GS-1?
Jun 3, 2006 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Major

New Head-Fier
Here's what i have...Grado 325 and AKG 701 using the Headroom Amp/DAC. The situation is that i don't know if i should keep the Mirco. I like it but since it was my first amp, i ordered it blindly on faith from what i read. You don't really know what you need or want until you've actually tested the product. The Micro ran me $600. Amp is used with my iPod and CD player. I only use the DAC for my PC, for gaming and music. Don't think i really need it. Never intended the Amp/DAC as a portable, only HOME use! If that's the case, should i just return it and go for the upgrade Headroom Desktop Amp for the same price? Or the GS-1 for $750? Will these two sound better than the Micro? I'm leaning more towards the GS-1. Any suggestions. Thanks all.
confused.gif

Jun 3, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 14
I can't speak for sound quality between the two, but I have heard the HeadRoom Desktop, and it's a good amp for the K701. I wasn't able to do a critical listening session though, but results with the DT880, K701 and an HD600 were all positive, if not quite outstanding (to my ears, anyway). It did have more than enough power for all three.

Keep in mind the HeadRoom Desktop has an integrated DAC, which is part of its cost. If you're not going to use the DAC, you should probably get an amp without one.

Jun 4, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr

Keep in mind the HeadRoom Desktop has an integrated DAC, which is part of its cost. If you're not going to use the DAC, you should probably get an amp without one.

The HeadRoom Desktop does not come standard with a integrated DAC. It is an optional upgrade, which will affect the pricing. Also remeber that with the Max module's, you will need the separately-sold Desktop Power Supply

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Major
Here's what i have...Grado 325 and AKG 701 using the Headroom Amp/DAC. The situation is that i don't know if i should keep the Mirco. I like it but since it was my first amp, i ordered it blindly on faith from what i read. You don't really know what you need or want until you've actually tested the product. The Micro ran me $600. Amp is used with my iPod and CD player. I only use the DAC for my PC, for gaming and music. Don't think i really need it. Never intended the Amp/DAC as a portable, only HOME use! If that's the case, should i just return it and go for the upgrade Headroom Desktop Amp for the same price? Or the GS-1 for $750? Will these two sound better than the Micro? I'm leaning more towards the GS-1. Any suggestions. Thanks all.
confused.gif

I like the GS-1's sound quality the best of any sold state amp I have tried so far. I have used the GS-1 with the K701/ HD600/ HF-1/ RS-1 and most recently the Senn HD595. The GS-1 is very versatile and sounds excellent with high or low impedence headphones. The extra input, loop out and selectable gain switch are especialy useful in my setup. The GS-1 also doubles as my system preamp when I am using speakers. I cant think of a better SS value.

The GS-1 is well built and very attractive too .....

The silver finish is my favorite. Paired with my Eastsound E5, the GS-1 never fails to attract attention when we have visitors or family in.

Jun 4, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Not quite true. Though it's obviously not running off the best power supply, you can do, stock:

Max Modules + no DAC.
Max Modules + Desktop DAC.

Oh, I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for the feedback everyone. As of now, a DAC is out of play for me. If i go with Headroom, it would be just the plain Desktop, no DAC, no power...capping myself at $750 or i'll be eating Cup Noodles for the next few months. I have until the end of this week to decide to return them. Bought the Mirco Amp/DAC on the 5/16. Anymore more feedback is always welcome.

Jun 4, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #11 of 14
I'd vote get the GS-1, and save up for a Zhaolu later.

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Major
Thanks for the feedback everyone. As of now, a DAC is out of play for me. If i go with Headroom, it would be just the plain Desktop, no DAC, no power...capping myself at $750 or i'll be eating Cup Noodles for the next few months. I have until the end of this week to decide to return them. Bought the Mirco Amp/DAC on the 5/16. Anymore more feedback is always welcome.

I'm in the 'spend as much on your source as your amp' camp so if you don't really have extra funds I think you are doing very well with the Micro Amp/DAC. I don't think you will improve your system by getting a better amplifier and going back to your previous digital source. The amp is only as good as what signal it's fed...

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #13 of 14
I like the GS-1 for all of the cans I own. It is very versatile, is well built and sounds great. You cannot go wrong with it.

Jun 4, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 14
Have you tried the digital output of your CD player into the micro. It should prove superior to all but the top end CD stand alones. Also an iriver DAP what work great as it has a digital output as do some portable CD/dvd players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back