Headroom Micro Amp...A very nice surprise.
Aug 18, 2010 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
So I've had mine (2006 edition) for about a week now as part of my bedside rig and I've got to say I am impressed with this little wonder!

Don't let the small size fool you, it packs a wallup! It very, very easily drives my T1s (600 ohms) and HD800s (300 ohms) to ear splitting levels on High Gain. Anything over 11 o'clock is just too much (and dangerous). Sonically, very good too...surprisingly so!

The bass is deep and still controlled, the mids nice and forward and present treble without harshness or roll off. The sound stage ain't bad either. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer my main amp by a good margin, but as a secondary amp for my bedside where it can't take up too much room (or the wife get's upset)....this is really impressive.

I also love it's versatility, great with my low impedance cans (RS1i and D7000) on Medium Gain and very nice (and dead silent) with my IEMs (Low Gain).

So if you're looking for a SS amp as a starter, secondary setup or "small desktop" amp, I wholeheartedly recommend you give this one consideration!

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 16
X2 on everthing you said, MacedonianHero!
I too have the 2006 edition, and it is a VERY impressive amp.
It drives every headphone I have or have had with ease, and it is pretty darn neutral doing it.
I did own the AKG K701's and it drove them with authority and power as well.
It drove them better than the Heed Canamp that I had a few years ago.
It drives my Beyerdynamic DT880/600 ohms extremely well too.
I recently contacted Headroom about getting it updated to the current edition, but they said that it could not be modified.
They did say, however, that their latest Micro Amp sounds even better than my 2006 edition!
They said that it was designed to not be limited by being designed to be able to use batteries like the 2006 does.
Man, if its better than mine...WOW!

Aug 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 16
Haha!!!

The Ultra Micro is even better than the Micro.  I sold my new version Micro some time back.  However, the Ultra Micro is no longer in production because of low sales.  You now need to get the Ultra Desktop Amp to get that performance.  The low sales were very likely because of what MacedonianHero said in his testimonial.  The size will fool you into low expectations and you'll not wish to pay $600 for it. 

HeadRoom amps are a great demonstration of bias.  You look at them and don't consider them based on their modest appearance.

I love my Ultra Desktop.  It's a great amp with all my cans and wonderful with the HD800's.

Aug 19, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 16
I have heard the 2010 and couldn't really tell that much a different. But it was for a brief moment. I actually prefer the 2006 version for the portable functionality.

Seriously this little wonder can power my T1s like a full sized $1000 desktop amp...maybe not to their full sonic potential, but I would say at least 75% of the way (and at $350 new or under $200 used). Volume wise the Micro matches 1:1 with desktop amps on it's on High Gain.

So don't let the size fool you (there's a joke in there...I know), it can bring the goods!

Aug 26, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks for all the kind words here guys.  We too think the Micro amp offers killer value especially now with its discrete output and being fully biased into Class A. 

Aug 26, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
Thanks for all the kind words here guys.  We too think the Micro amp offers killer value especially now with its discrete output and being fully biased into Class A. 

Just to clarify Jamey, my comments were on the 2006 edition. And to think the 2010 edition is a Class A amp...even better!

The size may throw some people off, but it fully powered my 600 ohm T1s to ear splitting levels at only 11 o'clock on High Gain. Sonically, it was very good too; especially considering it's price point. Killer value indeed!

And great customer service too! I've been a long Headroom customer and have always received top notch service from you guys!

Aug 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
Just to clarify Jamey, my comments were on the 2006 edition. And to think the 2010 edition is a Class A amp...even better!

The size may throw some people off, but it fully powered my 600 ohm T1s to ear splitting levels at only 11 o'clock on High Gain. Sonically, it was very good too; especially considering it's price point. Killer value indeed!

And great customer service too! I've been a long Headroom customer and have always received top notch service from you guys!

The power supply options are also varied.  With the unit, you get the basic walwart power supply.  However, there's the Astrodyne PSU and even better, the Desktop Power Supply Unit.  One of the reasons for the small form factor is that the PSU is separate. 

Aug 26, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
The power supply options are also varied.  With the unit, you get the basic walwart power supply.  However, there's the Astrodyne PSU and even better, the Desktop Power Supply Unit.  One of the reasons for the small form factor is that the PSU is separate.

Very good point. The one thing I did however appreciate is also the ability to use 2 C batteries and make it portable for our trips to Winnipeg to visit the in laws.

Aug 26, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #10 of 16
My Microstack (battery version) gets regular rotation for my bedroom setup. This combo sounds good with all of phones that I tried. Like you said, it is not the best sounding amp but it is good enough that I don't miss other amps too much. With good music flowing, I quickly forget about the specific sound signature and just enjoy the music in few minutes. I also like the fact it can be powered by batteries. Later Micro version with ac power only suppose to sound better but I gladly trade battery portability with little bit of sound sacrifice.

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks MH for posting your impressions. 
I own both the regular micro stack and the ultra micro stack and I agree that they are both great sounding units.  They can easily drive your favorite headphones well and put a smile on your face.  As I have posted elsewhere, for some reason HR products do not get much buzz. I think that their amps are seriously underrated.

If we really want to talk about some serious ear tickling, plug your favorite headphones (preferably balanced) into the ultra desktop stack.  You'll be glued to your favorite chair for hours listening to your library of music with a stupid smile on your face!!!
beerchug.gif

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 16
MH, another solid review that's on point. The versatility and power of this amp are impressive. The only quibbles I've had with the amp was when the crossfeed is switched on it muddied the sound a bit so I mostly turned it off. The Micro amp, with the three gain switches, is clearly meant to power full sized headphones. The proof is the fact the powered your T1. However, Headroom saw fit to use a mini jack necessitating the need for an adapter. There is enough room for a 1/4" jack.

Other than those issues, the amp is a little power at a nice price. Especially typical street prices.

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
MH, another solid review that's on point. The versatility and power of this amp are impressive. The only quibbles I've had with the amp was when the crossfeed is switched on it muddied the sound a bit so I mostly turned it off. The Micro amp, with the three gain switches, is clearly meant to power full sized headphones. The proof is the fact the powered your T1. However, Headroom saw fit to use a mini jack necessitating the need for an adapter. There is enough room for a 1/4" jack.

Other than those issues, the amp is a little power at a nice price. Especially typical street prices.

Thank you sir!

I agree with your crossfeed comment. I did find myself listening with it off. I much prefer the Meier Audio crossfeed on my Concerto in comparison. As well a 1/4" second jack would have been ideal. But in the end the good things do make the Micro Amps an outstanding buy (from IEMs all the way up to 600 ohm full sized cans).

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #14 of 16
My only real complaint with the Micro Stack is that the low-gain switch isn't low enough.  I run my K271's off it at work, and I sometimes have to set the volume so low down that it gets to that area just above zero with a slight channel imbalance.

The only other thing that is slightly annoying is that the MicroDAC doesn't come with an RCA mono-mini, and it's an adapter that not even hardcore audiophiles are going to have kicking around - it's essentially a required trip to Radioshack with purchase.

But those are small issues, overall.  It's very good, and I recommend it often.

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you sir!

I agree with your crossfeed comment. I did find myself listening with it off. I much prefer the Meier Audio crossfeed on my Concerto in comparison. As well a 1/4" second jack would have been ideal. But in the end the good things do make the Micro Amps an outstanding buy (from IEMs all the way up to 600 ohm full sized cans).

I agree with both of you on the crossfeed assessment but I also think its great to have it and use it if you like. I think that this feature is one of the many reasons that make HR amps attractive.  If you have recordings that pan hard left to right it will definitely help!  Admittedly, it does a tad bit of warmth to the sound that some individuals may not like. Since I have the micro, ultra micro and desktop balanced amps, IMHO it seems that the crossfeed implementation may be better as you move up the HR line. Personally I like the crossfeed function and keep it on all the time. 
As far as the connectors go it would be good to have the 1/4" jack as they are more durable, but I'm really not sure if there is room in the tiny enclosure.  I've never opened up my amps to see what is behind the jack, though.  
BTW, I'm able to drive my HD800's well with any of the HR amps that I own but I have to admit that the balanced rig is my favorite!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back