HeadRoom Little Premiums
Feb 28, 2004 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

doug zdanivsky

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I've been looking at this amp for my PC set-up and was looking around for some testimonials, etc from users..

But no search function combo will garner the results I'm after, either in this forum or the HeadRoom forum. So I appologize if I missed the thread(s) where these units have been discussed in detail, but...

Can I get some opinions from those who own or have owned this amp?

Thanks for any and all comments you could offer!

PS- I'm on the fence as far as cans to get driven by this amp.. I can't decide between Beyer 831's, 770-250 pros, and 250-250's, which are the three that most fit my requirements (comfort,sound quality,closed).. Anyhoo, just thought I'd throw that out there, in case that skews opinions either way, and to see what your thoughts were as to which would be the better marriage (amp/cans).

Feb 28, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 29
I reviewed a Headroom Little More Power, Premium a few months back. Here's the link: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...eadroom+little

Overall, I liked the amp but it was too much for my current source. If I were to upgrade my source then it might be an option for me.

Feb 28, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 29
Thanks!

I was more interested in the Premium without the upgraded P/S, but this will give me an idea...

Feb 28, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 29
What is this, the baby-in-your avatar thread? Maybe we should start a team.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #5 of 29
Go, Go, baby Avatars!!
600smile.gif

Feb 28, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #7 of 29
Feb 28, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 29
I have had the Little Premium (not more power).

It is an excellent amp, if your phones are not power hungry.

If you had some hard to drive phones, you might need the More Power option....although I have never tried this.

Feb 28, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #9 of 29
Ok, thanks!

By what means would I find out what constitutes a "power hungry" headphone?

Impedence? Not familiar with that term in the right context..

Less is better? Or the MORE impedence the better?

Feb 28, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #10 of 29
How could I forget the man of 1000 questions?
wink.gif

As I remember, you're getting a new PC in a while, and need isolating 'phones. I couldn't find definitive answers, so i've got the PIMETA almost here, a sonica theatre on the way, and I have the AKG 271s, Senn 280s, and Beyer 250-250s to try. I'll give it a couple of weeks for everything to arrive and settle/burn in then i'll do a decent report.

Until then I suggest you just read any relevent thread that comes up, do some searches and read the older posts, and relax! You can't learn everything and build a great system in a week!
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 29
higher impedance usually requires more power. I Think.

Feb 28, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by rwooda
What is this, the baby-in-your avatar thread? Maybe we should start a team.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm up for joining! Will change my sig.

Lower impedence cans need less power to drive them. Higher impedence cans may require the "more power".

From what I understood, the "more power" upgrade made more of a difference than the premium upgrade but I could be wrong. I got to try out mine on the Headroom educational loaner plan. Maybe you can do the same.

Feb 28, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by highflyin9
Otherway around
smily_headphones1.gif
Low impedance headphones draw more power from the amplifier.

Here's some relevant linkage http://www.symetrixaudio.com/tech_su...qs/faq304.html

I believe you are mistaken. Lower impedance headphones will draw more current, but not necessarily more power.

Higher impedance phones do require more power to be driven.

Feb 29, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

I got to try out mine on the Headroom educational loaner plan.

Which? The Premium, or the More power?

I'll have to see what that entails, and if HeadRoom does that with Canadians..

So the higher the impedence the more power you need.. That's what the consensus seems to be..

What are the ranges?

For example the Senn HD650 impedence rating is 300, While the Beyer 770-250 Pro's are 80..

Is that the high and low end of the scale, or are they both high?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back