Headroom factory Tour....... Warning: Lots of pics
Feb 15, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
840DSC06660-med.JPG

I'm glad to see that amp builders relation can go so far as inviting each others in their respective production installations.

Open mind in action.

Amicalement

What you see there is a real respect and admiration for the craft and one manufacturer saying to another " I respect you and what you do". That coulda been corny but came across as genuine and heartfelt. I'm not quoting what was said since that belongs to Ray and Tyll but you get the idea.

Feb 15, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
What you see there is a real respect and admiration for the craft and one manufacturer saying to another " I respect you and what you do". That coulda been corny but came across as genuine and heartfelt. I'm not quoting what was said since that belongs to Ray and Tyll but you get the idea.

Ray is a guy ANYONE will warm to within minutes...

Fred - Approximately how BIG is the headroom headquarters?

Feb 15, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #18 of 31
Headroom is big enough to get the job done. You should ask Tyll that question.

What I saw was a highly organized work space and production facility that ran very well. I've seen more done in smaller spaces but not nearly as neatly and with as much care and attention to detail. Keep in mind that I've visited many manufacturing facilities,including a few audio companies. I'm sure headroom could operate in a much smaller space but the they do well where they are. When Tyll spills his beans,I'm sure he'll elaborate what he wants to do and is now doing.

Feb 16, 2005 at 11:18 AM Post #19 of 31
That last pic I posted,to the right of the pic of Tyll and Ray was the view of the mountains from the parking lot at Headroom. If I had a view like that I doubt I'd ever get anything done.

Feb 16, 2005 at 12:14 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

That last pic I posted,to the right of the pic of Tyll and Ray was the view of the mountains from the parking lot at Headroom. If I had a view like that I doubt I'd ever get anything done.

At least people from that part of Montana have pretty good reasons to be, as showned in the photo, pick up truck owners.....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Feb 16, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by timo_nyc
great to see the scene behind the url!

Tuberoller did a great job of clicking pix of "behind the scenes at HeadRoom"

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
Your people and your company are amazing on how serious and real you all are about "just headphones".

Well, you gotta get your ski pass from somewhere. Seriously though, like anyone in their right mind, we're just trying to do the best work they can and still have a life. What I'm starting to get at is that there is a whole truth that we live every day here at HeadRoom the outsiders really don't experience at all. We all work very closely together and we care very much about the mission, which is: Help people discover that the whole music listening experience can be so much better than they thought it could be. Do that and they will spend their money getting it from you---as long as your deal is legit. I have to say: we don't view ourselves so much as being headphone fans as we view ourselves as servants to the art of music and film. I'd have a hard time keeping my passion up if we focused on the headphones as an end alone; we try to go beyond that to believe that people's connection to art is important and we serve that.

Quote:

the whole team is so equal in their choice and voice about what happens there is just awesome.

First of all, I can't believe you really think you saw that in a few short hours. Second, I think you saw what you saw because it's actually there. I tell you that it's the bane of my existence that these guys and gals think they have, maybe not an equal but, a very strong say in what's going on, but it's also the best situation possible. Everybody here feels free to voice their opinion and feels that it's worth listening to the opinion of others. I think HeadRoom employees feel that when we work together as a group the end result is better than any one of us could do alone…and I feel that way, too. While I do have the luxury and burden of the final call, I've learned that it's well worth being reluctant to make that final call until everyone has had a chance to pitch in and have their influence on the decisions.

Quote:

I thank everyone their for letting us "geeks" check you all out. I wanna see you people in chicago soon so dont be surpised if I call and invite you people to a future meet...not your gear alone but you all period.

Like I said at the table, I owe the Minnisotans the first road trip visit, but I think when I do hit the road I'll go the distance and get to Chicago too. You guys are such a vibrant and dedicated group of enthusiasts that it would be a shame not to stretch the trip out for a visit to the windy city.

Quote:

I woulda been looking to bounce Tyll, cause I thought he was a madman(I mean that in the most positive way buddy). Today the ideas coming out of Headroom are much more focused,driven and possible.

Genius…insane…genius…insane. They can look quite similar until things come to fruit. But thanks Fred, I do take it in a positive way. One of the indispensable characteristics for an entrepreneur is an irrational belief in ones own vision. A similarly indispensable characteristic is being able to get practical traction towards those ends, and knowing when to bend but not break.

Quote:

I'm really,really excited about what Headroom is doing and I think we could all feel the atmosphere at Headroom. It was palable and everyone seemed to be in a controlled state of near bliss.

This may be the most beautiful thing I've ever heard anyone say about HeadRoom. I couldn't be more pleased you saw it that way. In fact, as I read you post it was as if someone had written down my fondest dreams for HeadRoom. I love what we do and I love the people here, and I am so glad that we've done things well enough that people can actually see the goals we have in mind. Goals not only for our impact on the market, but more importantly, goals about what we want to build as a work place for ourselves. Thank you very much for seeing us for who we are trying so very hard to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gsferrari
Fred - Approximately how BIG is the headroom headquarters?

Quote:

Tyll really did bend a bit to accomodate us and I hope he felt it was worthwhile to do so.

It was an incredibly busy day as we had four architect interviews scheduled to find one to design our new building; I snuck you guys in between a couple of them. We have put down our earnest money on a couple of lots in a new industrial park and we are hoping to break ground this Oct, and move in next June. We currently are living in just over 5000 square feet of space, but there are so many things we don't have that we need (an office for me for example) that the new building is planned for about 15,000 sq feet.

Quote:

T-shirts on on the way.

EGADS! What a crap host I was! I forgot to hand out the loot. Thanks for thinkin' of us, Fred. But let me return the favor, too. If all you guys who visited would please send Ivy@headphone.com your name and address, I'll be sure to get you guys the stash of goodies. It'll take a little while as we're working on the new stuff. Wink, wink, nod, nod.

Oh, and you guys can feel free to talk to Jude about the new stuff. I showed him a few images about a month ago. He'll get a kick out of your take, 'cuz he didn't nearly get the close-up look you did.

Thanks again for taking the time to visit, you guys, the pleasure was all mine.

Feb 16, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #22 of 31
Oops, almost forgot:

Quote:

in the pic of me looking at something with the headphones behind me...can you guess what I was looking at?

A big old pile of Grado headphones!

Feb 16, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
Genius…insane…genius…insane. They can look quite similar until things come to fruit...One of the indispensable characteristics for an entrepreneur is an irrational belief in ones own vision. A similarly indispensable characteristic is being able to get practical traction towards those ends, and knowing when to bend but not break.

I come here for some headphone advice and I get some business nuggets too. Kids, pay attention.

BTW, since Headroom seems to be coming up with some new exciting products, you guys are not going to redesign or render the Blockhead obsolete as soon as I place my order, right?

Feb 16, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
BTW, since Headroom seems to be coming up with some new exciting products, you guys are not going to redesign or render the Blockhead obsolete as soon as I place my order, right?

I'm really not supposed to answer that here, but I can probably say that HeadRoom fully intends to make all future electronics modules backwards compatable. So, if you do get a BlockHead, and we do change the electronics module, you would be able to upgade to it, or any other future developed modules, at any time . . . for a price.

Feb 16, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #26 of 31
I know some find it strange that we all saw the same stuff but come away impressed in different ways. I was impressed by the people and their motivation and as a business owner,I know how important that is. I was also really impressed with all the Headroom bags and how they are constructed. I see how labor intensive they are and the quality of materials that go into them and can now understand why they cost so much. The fact that these bags are hand assembled here in the US to such high standards is important to me and I hope it is to others as well.

Feb 16, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

at any time . . . for a price.

You forgot to add the "MUAHAAHAHA!" after that line.
evil_smiley.gif

But seriously, backward compatibility is an unexpected bonus in a headphone amp, so kudos to that decision!

Feb 17, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #28 of 31
Is it just me or are the workers there all Sennheiser fans? I already see a pair of HD200's (or EH200's) and a pair of HD250 Linear II's..
My kinda workplace.. Getting to listen to music while working.. LOL..

Feb 18, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Like I said at the table, I owe the Minnisotans the first road trip visit, but I think when I do hit the road I'll go the distance and get to Chicago too. You guys are such a vibrant and dedicated group of enthusiasts that it would be a shame not to stretch the trip out for a visit to the windy city.

eek.gif
basshead.gif
biggrin.gif
Wow, we'd be/are honored! You're more than welcome to come! (Especially with lots of gear
evil_smiley.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back