840DSC06697-med.JPG

840DSC06701-med.JPG
840DSC06702-med.JPG

840DSC06704-med.JPG
840DSC06705-med.JPG

840DSC06660-med.JPG
840DSC06658-med.JPG

Feb 15, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 31
Thanks for the pics guys...looks like a fun tour.
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 31
I had a very large pile of stuff to do when I got back home and I haven't been able to add comments to the pics yet. I'll say now that Tyll proved to a small group of Head-fiers what I've known for years,he is the single most enthusiastic Headphone Geek on the Planet. I'll describe what I can without violating the Non-disclosures we signed later today.

Feb 15, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 31
Wow! You really did take a lot of pix, Fred. (Man, I gotta loose some weight.)

I really enjoyed the visit. I've done the "tour" of HeadRoom countless times for bankers, and lawyers, and various other folks who wanted/needed to know who we are, but this is the first time I've had the chance to entertain a gaggle of geeks. Boy, it was nice! Thanks, guys! You made my month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Nice soldering stations. I love the Metcal SP200.

I know, they're great. Keeps those Cs and Rs working good for a long time.

I think I'll introduce some of the folks in the pix, if you don't mind, Fred. I'm sure you can't remember all their names:

The first pic is Wolfgang. He's the Aachen Head we measure headphones on. He's made by Head Acoustics and for the low, low price of $20,000 you to can measure headphones according to industry standards...or you can just look at the picture and buy a lot of new headphones.

The lady in the third picture at the sewing machine is Jeanne. She's been with HeadRoom for about maybe 7 years and has designed all the bags except the Traveler Bag. If you own a HeadRoom bag, she's probably worked on it.

In the background of the 5th pic and closer up in the first pic of the second post you see Lori from behind. She does both through-hole and surface mount assembly, and she is the sister of Debbie who runs the electronics manufacturing department.

A couple of photos down you'll meet Roger. He does the bulk of our surface mount assembly and has almost from the very beginning. If you have a HeadRoom amp, you're listening to his work.

Way down the page, standing next to Ray in a beard and brown shirt is Jamey. He came on board to replace Todd in sales and has now moved on to product manager. That's the job all headphone geeks lust for. It's his job to define and shepherd product through the product development cycle from idea to in the box and out the door. If you have any thoughts on our products, he's the one that wants to know about it. Jamey@headphone.com. (Poor person.)

Then, in the white shirt with black sleeves is Shienne. She works in Customer Service and shipping with Roz and Kelly. She keeps on threatening to leave to go to school, but somehow she never manages to go. I'll miss her, but school is a great reason to head off. You go girl!

Then there is Ivy. She's got a hell of a job being HeadRoom's marketing communications manager. First, she has to deal with me on an almost daily basis (reason enough to loose it), and then she has to deal with writers of all stripes asking for equipment to listen to, and THEN she has to wrestle with Head-Fiers who want gear at their meets. If that's not enough for one person she also has to build the manuals, ads, warranty cards, coffee cups, and assign me writing tasks. If you want to help, send her a six-pack at 2020 Gilkerson, Bozeman MT, 59715.

Second to last pic is me and Ray Samuels. I wouldn't be smiling except he kept pinching my ass.

Feb 15, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 31
Like I said before the tour alone left me speechless.
I always thought of Headroom as a small little place with a few headphones,amps,and bags but nothing speacil...boy was I wrong!

The people at headroom are serious (as you can tell from the pics), and I never thought of headphones as such a real market before. Your people and your company are amazing on how serious and real you all are about "just headphones".

I know now I will look at headroom with a new respect and eye from just the tour alone, the whole team is so equal in their choice and voice about what happens their is just awesome.

I thank everyone their for letting us "geeks" check you all out. I wanna see you people in chicago soon so dont be surpised if I call and invite you people to a future meet...not your gear alone but you all period.

Feb 15, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 31
Guys...dont close those doors...im still "Three doors down"
tongue.gif

This is awesome stuff...these pics are a portal into Tyll's creation...a visionary entrepreneur who took a risk with a niche market. Even today you will get your ass laughed offa you if you were to tell someone that you are a "Headphone Audiophile"
eek.gif

And here is a guy who has built a business around it...

Inspirational stuff for someone just starting out...like me...

And I finally get to see a picture of Ivy
smily_headphones1.gif
She is the nicest most patient and generous person I have ever dealt with. I wish she was my big sister...and I wish Tyll would let me have his Orpheus
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOLLERS!!

Feb 15, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #14 of 31
Whatever "discussion" you guys need to have,needs to take place elsewhere. I'm in a serious banning mood right now and the very next off-topic post will result in a very long-term vacation. Maybe that ain't fair but you've been warned.

Thank you,

Anyway,Tyll has always been "the Man" and I know he could'nt carrry that torch without his great and equally enthusiastic employees. One thing I noticed about nearly every member of the Headroom staff (which I think speaks volumes about real dedication and love of the hobby) is that they all had headphones at their workstations. Some were actually listening as we had our tour but there were headphones and amps everywhere. Tyll also had a great selection of sources and music and has a real feel for what's currently being used by us for sources,music,cables and other geek items.

Feb 15, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 31
I previously stated in another thread that I felt Headroom was attempting to rule the headphone audio world and while I was joking,I kinda feel that statement was misplaced. Headroom is on the verge of some extremely exciting stuff and all these things will serve to expand our hobby in ways none of us could imagine.

When I talked to Tyll a few years ago his ideas seemed to lack feasibility and I thought they were far-fetched. I have to say,If I was an investor in Headroom back then(I'm not now either) I woulda been looking to bounce Tyll, cause I thought he was a madman(I mean that in the most positive way buddy). Today the ideas coming out of Headroom are much more focused,driven and possible. Headroom is clearly on the brink of a huge turn and I wish I was in a postion to ride that wave(using purely selfish financial reasoning). As it stands we'll all enjoy the monumental increase in exposure and the resulting improvement in products from all the manufacturers in our hobby. Headroom's ideas will inevitably allow other manufacturers to come along for the ride and after talking with Tyll,I think we all came away with the feeling that he wants it that way. He does not seek to rule the Headphone Audio world,he seeks to make it much,much larger and more visable and understands how there will be room for everyone once this happens.

His disgust with those "builders" and "Manufacturers" who fail to support the community in any meaningful way is justified and I could feel his anger(he was kinda verbal about it) when he ranted about them. Even then Tyll clearly stated that these builders would be helped by what Headroom is doing and did'nt want to exclude them. That says far more about Tyll and Headroom than it does about any of the "critics" and shills who push gear around here.

Yes,we did all sign a ND and we promised to keep secrets but I'm really,really excited about what Headroom is doing and I think we could all feel the atmosphere at Headroom. It was palable and everyone seemed to be in a controlled state of near bliss. I mean that every single person who showed us things and offered details seemed to be just as excited as Tyll was. That's hard to do but you guys can rest assured that the entire Headroom staff is "on task".

Tyll and Headroom are about to make the "sandbox" much bigger and we'll all get a chance to play.

Thanks to Tyll,Jamey,Ivy,Andrew,Roger and all the other Headroom folks that made our visit so exciting. Tyll really did bend a bit to accomodate us and I hope he felt it was worthwhile to do so. T-shirts on on the way. It takes a little longer to get the "official" uniform Tees but I know you guys will love them. You'll certainly be the only folks in Bozeman with them.
biggrin.gif

Tyll's gesture to Ray was truly heartwarming and the things he said to him were absolutely amazing to hear one amp builder say to another. The level of respect and admiration is obvioulsy high and I'm sure everyone who saw it felt the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back