HeadRoom Desktop Portable and Micro Ultras
May 5, 2009 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Rise To The Top

1000+ Head-Fier
Does anyone who owns a HeadRoom Desktop Portable, Desktop amp, or Micro Ultra stack want to tell me how they stack up against other amps, and if they are worth buying? I am looking for an amp DAC combo for college and I want to know what would be the best of the three options to buy. I have considered other amp and dac combos, but I seem to be leaning toward some of the HeadRoom options.

Thanks, RTTT

May 6, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 12
Anyone?

May 6, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 12
Non-Ultra Micro Amp+MicroDAC is working very well for me with the HD650s. Both boxes seem very solidly built and high quality, and I like the sound very much. With this setup. I can see what people are talking about when they refer to an HD650 "veil," but the overall effect is musically satisfying enough that I don't really care, nor does it give the impression that I'm missing details.

I was surprised how much difference the DAC made in the sound from my desktop computer source; I had read posts suggesting that the main change would be a difference in the noise floor, but it was much more pronounced than that, eliminating a certain unpleasantness in the upper midrange.

I do have a Woo on order because of certain tubehead tendencies, but that's more about reaching for my personal nirvana than any particular dissatisfaction with the Micro stack, with which I am quite pleased.

May 8, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #5 of 12
any desktop owners?

May 8, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any desktop owners?

Might want to inquire in the Headroom sponsored forum.

My MicroDAC is awesome - kills the built in DAC in my Cambridge Audio CD4SE cd player.

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 12
I have the old Micro with the Desktop amp board. I am satisfied with it.

Build quality, both perceived and actual, is very high. Unlike my Mk. 1.5 Total AirHead, the PMA looks like serious audio gear rather than a toy. (Just the TAH's casing is cheap. Its board is well thought out, and attractive. And those big purple caps are imposing!

The crossfeed is well-implemented, and I would never consider a separate headroom out without this feature.

Excluding the crossfeed, the PMA sounds like an amp. Which means it does not sound like anything at all. Amps, as long as they have enough current and voltage to drive your speakers/headphones properly, are commodity parts.

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 12
I say, if you are not low on budget get the ultra version of the micros with the astrodyne PSU's. sound amazing with all my cans (see sig).
and even better, get the one unit ultra desktop and you will have it all in one box for not much more money.

I ultra micro stack is really amazing sounding and very small and comfortable.
really worth the money IMO.
the next step for me is to go all the way with balance drive...and by that I mean the BUDA and the ultra dac.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by arny73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you think about Grado + Headroom ?
it would be a good match?

I have an older 2006 Micro Amp and Grado 325i. They sound very good together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back