Headroom Cosmic (Reference) impressions?
Apr 9, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #31 of 55
Headroom amps sometimes get the short shift on this forum. Which is a shame. They do make really good stuff and Headroom staff are some of the most friendly and considerate salespersons I've ever come across.

When asked for amp recommendations I frequently see people - myself included - name the Emmeline, Glimore, Meier, PPA, etc., but seldom a Headroom amp. It gives the impression that Headroom amps are either too expensive, or not up to snuff.

But when I compared the XP-7 and Corda HA-2 to my old (1996)upgraded Supreme, I had a hard time deciding which amp I prefer. One sounded better on certain music, while the other outshines the former in another genre.

I suspect that my entry level source might be a culprit, but it just goes to show that in Hi-Fi, there is a deminishing marginal return to every extra buck you shell out for the products. The HA-2 came out on top, but not by alot (we're talking inches and not yards here.) I had to listen hard and long to even rank the amps.

The lessons for me were:
1) don't underestimate the Headroom amps, and
2) amps of reputable makes in the same price range tend to sound different rather than better (relative rather than absolute).

You should audition the amps before you buy one. Granted some DIYer amps might not be available for audition, but Headroom amps, Emmeline and Meier Corda amps are. Your taste in music and sonic peference should determine which one you'll keep.

Good Luck!

Apr 9, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Ticky
Headroom amps sometimes get the short shift on this forum. Which is a shame. They do make really good stuff and Headroom staff are some of the most friendly and considerate salespersons I've ever come across.

When asked for amp recommendations I frequently see people - myself included - name the Emmeline, Glimore, Meier, PPA, etc., but seldom a Headroom amp. It gives the impression that Headroom amps are either too expensive, or not up to snuff.

But when I compared the XP-7 and Corda HA-2 to my old (1996)upgraded Supreme, I had a hard time deciding which amp I prefer. One sounded better on certain music, while the other outshines the former in another genre.

I suspect that my entry level source might be a culprit, but it just goes to show that in Hi-Fi, there is a deminishing marginal return to every extra buck you shell out for the products. The HA-2 came out on top, but not by alot (we're talking inches and not yards here.) I had to listen hard and long to even rank the amps.

The lessons for me were:
1) don't underestimate the Headroom amps, and
2) amps of reputable makes in the same price range tend to sound different rather than better (relative rather than absolute).

You should audition the amps before you buy one. Granted some DIYer amps might not be available for audition, but Headroom amps, Emmeline and Meier Corda amps are. Your taste in music and sonic peference should determine which one you'll keep.

Good Luck!

I often wondered about that. I'd have thought there would be far more fuss made of the Headroom amps, especially considering their close association with this site. I was hot on the trail of buying a Cosmic Ref. but eventually succumbed to "peer pressure"
biggrin.gif
and went for the PPA...; which I'm fine with, but it does seem strange that they don't get more coverage here...
confused.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #33 of 55
It is in the nature for hobbists to desire novelity and the exotic. I suspect part of the problem lies in the fact that Headroom, as a brand, is too well-known and as a result, too "run-of-the-mill" to stirr our geeky passion. Its like a Toyota for avid automobile hobbists. Good cars, but it is just too "plain-vanilla" in flavor.

Perhaps Headroom should come out with a new "series" to tickle the headphone enthusiasts crowd. Something silver in color, blue led, nice curves and has the words "limited edition" affixed on it. That should have us swarming like bees to honey.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #35 of 55
Nothing exotic?! you were looking at the cosmic with base station, that combo costs aroud $1000. I don't know about you, but to me that's plenty money to spend.

Simply put, many here believe that DIY amps offer better
"bang for the buck" than Headroom amps. But that goes without saying for just about most types of audio equipments; DIY, if properly done, is more cost effective. IMO, the only drawback for DIY is seller support. I'm sure many of the reputable DIY in this forum would back their products 100%. But who knows if they would still be around in 2 or 3 years time. On the other hand, Tyll's been around since the early 1990s.

If you are just starting out, I would say stick to an amp costing around $200 - $400. There's plenty of choices at this price range. Unless of course you have a "bling - bling" source that just screams out for a Headroom Max or Blockhead, or something around those price ranges.

Apr 13, 2004 at 5:11 PM Post #36 of 55
I have to say that the guys at Headroom are a joy to work with. I was really impressed that they run a forum here (that takes guts and a belief in your company over and above the norm, IMO) so when I decided to get the HD 650s I felt it was almost my duty (abit strong but you get the point) to order from Headroom, despite being currently based in Spain. They gave me an incredible price ($350 plus shipping) which at the current exchange rate works out pretty darn good for us Europeans as long as we don't get lumbered with too much import tax. Well, someone upstairs was smiling on me as mine breezed through customs and a great deal was complete.
I was about to order the Cosmic Ref. but after some tips here and alot of reading and research, I went for the "exotic" Larocco PPA, but that's another story...
wink.gif
Anyways, I highly recommend them to anyone!

Back to what we were talking about, though, my impression of the Headrrom amps was that they were effectively DIY amps built by enthusiasts and that the profit margins were rather low. Good value, IOW. I might be wrong but I've read that very comment on numerous occasions by posters who seem to know what they're talking about....unlike me
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #37 of 55
"Exotic" would be finding something that's not "off-the-rack" from Headroom
biggrin.gif
It's easy to point at the page and say "I want..." (drool) I was just thinking that it wouldn't cost Headroom too much to paint/anodize their stuff another colour, give you a choice of LED colors, engrave something on the front, and call it an "Ultra-Edition" (!)

Headroom has done a good job of informing and creating a market with their website and print ads without being too pushy on their own products.

Yeah, spending $1000 on a headphone system is really scary... at least the source can be used for speakers too (what are those?
600smile.gif
).

Apr 13, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #38 of 55
..don't know..maybe I'm just too new to this, but Headroom just doesn't make me think of "off the shelf"...

Apr 15, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #39 of 55
I defiantly recommend that cosmic reference. It is not extremely portable, but with the traveler bag it is fairly portable. I used to fly regularly with work and took the cosmic on virtually all trips. It was great in hotel rooms. If the flight was over an hour, I always pulled it out and listened to it.

I am now a student again. The cosmic stays home, but it fits in nicely on the stereo rack. I drive it with an iPod, Marantz 67se (cd player) and Basis 1400 (turntable). I do not have the base station (but wish that I did). I have etys 4s and Dt 831s.

The crossfeed is great. I usually have it on, but occasionally an album will sound better without it. There are a few albums that I simply can not listen to without the crossfeed.

The cosmic is tough. It has done a lot of traveling and I have had no problems at all with it.

On the downside, it is probably a bit more expensive than some sonically comparable amps. In my opinion the build quality of the amp, the crossfeed and its transportability in the great traveler bag make up for the price premium.

Good luck with your decision.

Apr 15, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #40 of 55
Thanks, Lilac_Wine. I'm glad to hear that somebody has actually travelled with the Cosmic... I guess it's like those old laptops: luggable. I'm probably going to wait and see if Headroom updates the Cosmic, it's a strong contender with the Emmeline XP-7 and the Meier stuff. I'm not in a hurry, since I don't have a decent source (or income
tongue.gif
) yet.

Interestingly enough, Headroom is stocking the Grace 901 now, kind of competing against their own range (about $1400). That's pretty cool for them to be so open-minded... whatever works for the customer.

Apr 15, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #41 of 55
HiWire:

Have you considered blending existing technologies to reach your end goal (which I assume) is to build a killer home / portable headphone audio system?

In other words, why don't you consider measuring a Ray Samuels Emmeline XP-7 to see if it will fit inside the HeadRoom Traveler Bag. Then, get an Apple iPod or PCDP and use the double sided velcro strips to secure the portable source inside the top lid or front compartment of the Traveler Bag. Buy yourself a decent MINI -> RCA interconnect like the StraightWire or if you're really loaded, the Ted's Mini to RCA Earcandy 3ft long IC (which would give you room to use your portable source, transportable headphone amplifier, and headphones at home too)? You could even use the side pockets designed for the big 4D cell battery packs for well...batteries.

Just a thought...

Apr 15, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #42 of 55
Plus, you'd save big time on costs and weight with that above suggestion. You might be able to afford the Emmeline XP-7 Power Supply to hook it up at home so you know you got 98% of the Emmeline HR-2 sonic performance...that's if that will sate you.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #43 of 55
Hey Welly:

I generally like to travel light, as I'm usually carrying too much stuff already
biggrin.gif
In general, I'd stick with a miserable headphone op-amp and cheapo headphones like the Sennheiser PX100s to be minimalist and insure against damage when on the go in the city of Toronto. I'm not too picky about sound when I'm sitting in the subway, and I like to hear what's going on around me on the street.

I'd probably match these to a "compromised" source like an MP3 player or Minidisc (or my old cassette walkman
eek.gif
) ... I figure that CD players are too bulky to carry around, despite the new thin and light designs.

The "portability" of the Emmeline and Cosmic are for longer trips elsewhere, e.g. to a cottage or out there on the road. I'd like to hook it up to a decent source like the NAD 542 or Marantz 5400 with the Base Station at home, or to a decent portable CD player in a pinch (when travelling).

Apr 15, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #45 of 55
You have the right idea with the cosmic and traveling. I never take it with me to the coffee shop or library to study. I already have to carry a computer all of the time (IBM X31) and three 1500 page textbooks. I take an iPod and etys or the stock iPod buds with me.

The cosmic is great for longish flights, nights in hotels, etc. You do not want to carry on a daily basis with a bunch of other stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back