HeadRoom Amp: Which one?!
Aug 29, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #46 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe I have this right, but jump in and correct me if I've got it arse about.

The Ultras, both the amp and the dac, use one Astrodyne power supply each. Each unit has its own Astrodyne all to itself and the astrodyne is perfectly capable of providing sufficient juice for a single module. If you want to, you can purchase the dps and run both the Ultra amp and Ultra dac off that, dispensing with the Astrodynes altogether. I expect the HR folks would tell you that the dps would give an sq improvement over the two Astrodynes in this situation. The Desktop amp, on the other hand, can only be plugged into a single power supply, so if the Astrodyne can't cut the mustard, you have to get the dps.

Yes, Bradman, I think that's the best that can be said on HeadRoom's behalf. But I'm afraid it won't hold water. Three problems:

1. There is no mention of the word "Astrodyne" in the Ultra pages. The crucial word there is "wall-wart". And I don't think it's any slip on their part, since they are pushing the Astrodyne brick as a "recommended accessory" for the regular Micro amp. They're not taking the difference between the wall-wart and the Astrodyne lightly.

2. At the non-technical level, things still don't add up. Notice: if the wall-warts are these brutes that HR would have us believe they are when compared to the presumably more refined DPS, where's the DPS option in the Ultra pages? Again, I can't believe they have forgotten to warn the prospective Ultra customer that there is more SQ to be had from their top-of-the-line electronics/DAC. (The Ultras have been priced to match the Max+Max Desktop.)

3. When the Astrodyne is factored in as a replacement for the DPS, Cecala's post #45 above assures us that the brick is powerful enough for the job. Moreover, on the refinement front, there's Max Dudio's hesitation (quoted by Cecala) to recommend the DPS over the "more dynamic" Astrodyne. (For chrissakes, are we paying $300 more to get less dynamic?!
rolleyes.gif
)

So, we're still owed an explanation.

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #47 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2. At the non-technical level, things still don't add up. Notice: if the wall-warts are these brutes that HR would have us believe they are when compared to the presumably more refined DPS, where's the DPS option in the Ultra pages? Again, I can't believe they have forgotten to warn the prospective Ultra customer that there is more SQ to be had from their top-of-the-line electronics/DAC. (The Ultras have been priced to match the Max+Max Desktop.)

The issue could be size -- the ultra and DPS would be a stacking mismatch. Also market, where the aim is portability, and in this area, size matters. The brick and the DPS may just be too big. If HR doesn't make an issue of the PS, I'm guessing that they feel the wall-warts are plenty adequate. But confirmation or clarification from HR would be nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3. When the Astrodyne is factored in as a replacement for the DPS, Cecala's post #45 above assures us that the brick is powerful enough for the job. Moreover, on the refinement front, there's Max Dudio's hesitation (quoted by Cecala) to recommend the DPS over the "more dynamic" Astrodyne. (For chrissakes, are we paying $300 more to get less dynamic?!
rolleyes.gif
)

Good points. The max+max comes to $1900 (including the DPS). The ultra DAC-amp duo, $1400 (including wall-warts); with the DPS, $1800. So you're right re pricing comparisons -- they line up pretty much. If the duo (with wall-warts) is equal to the max+max (with DPS), then it's sure as hell a good deal.

My concern is with the 1/8" HP jack. I realize the aim is the portable market, but I'd probably lug my HD650 along even so. Thus, an additional 1/4" would've been nice. (I'm not a fan of 1/8" to 1/4" adapters.) In a sense, the units, wall-warts, interconnects, together, add up to a bundle that may be less portable than imagined. In my mind, a truly portable ultra would have been a single unit that combines amp and DAC without increasing the micro form factor. But I realize this would have meant re-engineering some of the components to get them to fit in the case. Also, PS becomes an issue. Perhaps a micro-sized DPS that has the wump of the desktop-sized DPS? Again, more re-engineering to a smaller scale without loss of power/quality.

Aug 30, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #48 of 87
I am getting ever more confused about HR power-supply choices for which amp....
I just use whichever one is supplied with my latest HR amp.

Aug 30, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #50 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My purely personal, subjective estimate is that the DT Max+Max sounds better with the DTP.

Based on your comment above I'm assuming you meant that the DPS sounds better then the Astrodyne when used on the DT Max+Max.

I have a little test for you which I'm sure you have already performed. I
have just read on HRs site regarding the Desktop Balanced being able to take Single ended phones in the Balanced socket(I can't believe I missed this detail). Using the Balanced with its Astodyne and the Desktop single ended with its DPS and by switching phones between them, which sounds 'better'?

Aug 30, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #51 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on your comment above I'm assuming you meant that the DPS sounds better then the Astrodyne when used on the DT Max+Max.

I have a little test for you which I'm sure you have already performed. I
have just read on HRs site regarding the Desktop Balanced being able to take Single ended phones in the Balanced socket(I can't believe I missed this detail). Using the Balanced with its Astodyne and the Desktop single ended with its DPS and by switching phones between them, which sounds 'better'?

I know this sounds stupid, but, no, I've never done the comparison. I assumed, maybe wrongly, that the unbalanced max+max would be better than the balanced (home+home) in an SE A/B shootout since it has the max module and max DAC -- compared to the balanced's home module and home DAC.

However, this was not a completely clean comparison in that the balanced is connected to the optical out and the max+max to the coaxial. (I don't hear much difference between these two. I didn't want to take the time to switch these. It would've effectively doubled the testing time, I think.) I tried to use two USB outs, but that screwed up my computer system (Windows XP). As far as I can tell, you can use only one USB at a time. If I'm mistaken, I'm sure someone will set me straight. Also, the PSs are different: Astrodyne (balanced) vs. DPS (max+max).

My assumption proved correct. For SE, the max+max wins, hands down. Stepped attenuators: set to 9:00. Headphones: HD650 with Cardas. I used Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" for the test. Critical differences: With the max+max, soundstage is much more expansive. Drums: you can actually hear the sticks hitting the head. Bass: you feel as though you can hear the strings being plucked. Piano and sax -- not as in-your-face as the balanced. On the whole, better separation, articulation, and overall balance in presenting each in the correct dynamic. Dimensionality: greater 3-D sense.

General conclusion: In SE mode, max+max much more enjoyable to listen to. Natural and awesome. I could literally listen to it all day.

Does power supply (Astrodyne vs. DPS) make a difference? Not sure. I didn't want to take the time to do this switch. Time was a factor. I also did quick switches with my other cans, K701 and GSK, but decided on the HD650 because it seems to be more "universal" in the sense that it's probably the headphone most Head-fiers are familiar with. For my ears, they're also the most analytical. And lately, they seem to have the best all-around SQ. But this preference seems to change with the seasons for me.

Again, this is really a home+home vs. max+max SE comparison so these differences ought to be expected. The "other" question is HRDB (home+home) vs HRD-SE (max+max) -- which is better? But that's been discussed in other forums and not something I want to get into here.

I'm not sure how much this helps. I might've raised more questions than answers.

Aug 30, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #52 of 87
Hi. It seems there is a bit of confusion around the question of which power supply will suffice for the HeadRoom Desktop line of amplifiers. So, I gave HeadRoom a call and had a chat with one of there sales reps. i have taken the recommendations that HeadRoom makes concerning which power supply to use and combined this with a fairly exhaustive study that was carried out by Head-fi member TheSloth. The following tables summarise the situation for the single-ended Desktop Amplifier and the Desktop Balanced Amplifier. In the tables, the first two columns indicate the amplifier module and dac module combination. The third column lists the power supplies that are *compatible* with this configuration. By *compatible*, I mean one of the following:

1. The DPS is compatible with all amp/dac configurations.

2. TheSloth has tested the configuration with the linear (Brick) power supply and found that it works, hence any of the three power supplies is sufficient.

3. Either HeadRoom have indicated that the Astrodyne will do or I have been able to infer this based on knowledge that the Astrodyne suffices in a more demanding configuration. for example, since the Astrodyne is sold stock standard with the Desktop Balanced Amp with home amp and home dac (see the HeadRoom Balanced Desktop packages), it seems reasonable to infer that it should be sufficient to drive the single-ended Desktop with home amp and dac modules.

In fact, 1, 2 and 3 above are essentially the rationale I used to construct this table. The power supplies are listed in order from cheapest and least capable to most expensive and most refined. The idea is that if you are budget conscious, you can simply look up an amp/dac combination and the first power supply listed in the third column is the cheapest one that will suffice for that combination. Selecting other power supplies apart from the first one listed should result in audible improvements.

The tables are conservative in that provided you purchase a power supply that is listed for the amp/dac combination, you shouldn´t run into any problems such as damaging the amp or the power supply. However, while TheSloth indicated in the HeadRoom Module Archive Thread that the Astrodyne should be able to power any combination of modules, I did not show this in the table because it hasn't been confirmed either by proper testing nor HeadRoom. The sales rep at HeadRoom told me that once you go to max amp with max dac in the Desktop, the DPS is more or less mandatory and wouldn't recommend the Astrodyne. As specifications for HeadRoom gear are somewhere between scarce on the ground and non-existent, I have therefore only used information I can be certain of.

Of course, standard disclaimers apply. I have only compiled this information to try and help reduce the amount of confusion there is around the subject of which power supply to use with the HeadRoom amps. I take no responsibility for decisions made using this information and you should check with HeadRoom when placing an order.

With that out of the way, here are the tables.

DESKTOP AMPLIFIER LINE (SINGLE-ENDED)

Amp DAC Compatible Power Supplies
Desktop None Lin, Ast, DPS
Desktop Desktop Lin, Ast, DPS
Desktop Home Lin, Ast, DPS
Desktop Max Lin, Ast, DPS
Home None Lin, Ast, DPS
Home Desktop Lin, Ast, DPS
Home Home Ast, DPS
Home Max DPS
Max None Lin, Ast, DPS
Max Desktop Lin, Ast, DPS
Max Home DPS
Max Max DPS

Legend:
Lin: Standard linear power supply (The Brick) (included, $0)
Ast: Astrodine international switched-mode power supply ($99)
DPS: Desktop Power Supply ($399)

DESKTOP BALANCED AMPLIFIER

AMP DAC Compatible Power Supplies
Any Any Ast, DPS

Legend:
Ast: Astrodine international switched-mode power supply ($0, Included)

DESKTOP MILLET AMPLIFIER

Sorry, but I haven't looked into this amplifier's power requirements.

2007 MICRO LINE (MICRO AMP, MICRO DAC, MICRO ULTRA AMP AND MICRO ULTRA DAC)

Compatible Power Supplies: Lin, Ast, DPS

Legend:
Lin: Standard linear power supply (The Brick) ($0, included)
Ast: Astrodine international switched mode power supply ($99)

The HeadRoom sales rep indicated to me that the standard linear supply will be shipped with these amplifiers. The Astrodyne is offered as an upgrade and these amps can also use the DPS. Clearly, a single DPS will power the Ultra Amp and Ultra DAC without any hassles, since individually, they have lower power requirements than a maxed out Desktop Amp.

PORTABLE MICRO AND DESKTOP AMPLIFIERS

All other amps in the Micro line and the Desktop portables can be powered by batteries. These come with some kind of wall-wart. It is not clear to me at present if this is the same as the linear power supply (Lin) referred to above or even if they all use the same supply. In any case, selecting a power supply is not an issue since these amps are not designed to work with either the Astrodyne or the DPS.

I hope this helps a bit. Please let me know of any errors or omissions.

Cheers.

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #53 of 87
Combo's are evil.

They belong to the 'one thing breaks, everything breaks' club.

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #54 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, I only used the MicroAMP. I thought the K701's were to die for, but on my MicroAMP they were hard sounding as stated above. It honestly was the brightest amp I tried at the entire Milwaukee meet, by a far shot.

The Home or Max modules may smooth things out, but that wasn't my experience with my MicroAMP Desktop.

Not to belabor the point but I personally don't think any of the HR amps probably will match well to K701s. There are other amps that work better with K701s. As I mentioned above, my own experience with the GS-1 (with DACT) has been very favorable - I should add that I'm also using the new Benchmark DAC1-USB as a source, which works exceedingly well -- lots of detail but very smooth, well balanced and excellent soundstage -- everything that the HR Max Desktop was not!

As a side comment, I should also mention that I did have problems with the Max DAC module in the HR locking on to the coaxial output of the CDP I was using -- never had this problem with the DAC1. This may be minor point, but proved to be very annoying for me.

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #55 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.......So, I gave HeadRoom a call and had a chat with one of there sales reps. i have taken the recommendations that HeadRoom makes concerning which power supply to use......

Did you swallow a big bag of salt while talking to this fellow. Never-the-less a good effort on your part. I am still concerned why Headroom do not post specs on their products, very fishy from my standpoint. On the DPS page no internal image is shown for this product, why?
From what I have read elsewhere the DPS is a simple E-Core transformer coupled to a bridge rectifier then passed on to a series of smoothing caps, very ordinary(Of course confirmation is needed here). I still can't get over the power outputs as stated by Max Dudio's review. If I could get an image of the internals of both the Astrodyne and DPS, I am willing to bet that the latter has large caps and this is why it is supposedly more 'refined' as stated by Max Dudio. If confirmed than it is a simple case of getting the Astrodyne and adding large capacitors in it, albeit in a larger case. As it stands though I am convinced that the Astro variant will suffice for Max+Max.

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #56 of 87
Feifan,
As your an owner of the DPS, can you state the specs(Power Output in Amps) on the unit or paper booklet which came with the unit please.

Aug 31, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #57 of 87
If the power supply won't come to us, we shall go to it. I have just being to Astrodynes website to find the Headroom supplied Brick being the SPU45-210 and looked up its specs:
SPU45-210 >42watts +15/-15V (2/1A) 5 Pin DIN Socket.
MPU100-210 >80watts +15/-15v (6/1A) 5 Pin DIN Socket. Medical Grade.

Prices are $62/$140 Respectfully.
I found this Supply using their 'Product Finder' function.
I think now this would supply more than enough Juice for our Max+Max configuration.

A pic for you.

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #58 of 87
Thank you, Bradman, Cecala and Feifan, for these helpful posts.

I think you've nailed it, Cecala. At the very least, very careful listening to the Astrodyne powering the Max+Max Desktop is warranted. (I hope Feifan will agree to double-check it.) I can't do that on my end. What I can and will do is pit the lowly wall-wart (which I have completely neglected until now) against the DPS. Yes, I know, it's a real David-vs-Goliath fight, but this kind of hope is HeadRoom’s own doing, not mine. Asap...

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #59 of 87
Searched the boxes (3 in all: 1 for the amp, 1 for the DPS, and 1 for both). I kept all the packing material, docs, wall-wart, etc. For the DPS, there's a brochure with little more than what's on the web. No specs. There are no specs printed on the DPS, except for a label with handwritten purchase date and serial number.

Aug 31, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #60 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you swallow a big bag of salt while talking to this fellow. Never-the-less a good effort on your part. I am still concerned why Headroom do not post specs on their products, very fishy from my standpoint. On the DPS page no internal image is shown for this product, why?
From what I have read elsewhere the DPS is a simple E-Core transformer coupled to a bridge rectifier then passed on to a series of smoothing caps, very ordinary(Of course confirmation is needed here). I still can't get over the power outputs as stated by Max Dudio's review. If I could get an image of the internals of both the Astrodyne and DPS, I am willing to bet that the latter has large caps and this is why it is supposedly more 'refined' as stated by Max Dudio. If confirmed than it is a simple case of getting the Astrodyne and adding large capacitors in it, albeit in a larger case. As it stands though I am convinced that the Astro variant will suffice for Max+Max.

I didn't expect to get to the bottom of it straight away. I tried to elicit a response on the Astrodyne with Max amp+max dac, but they didn't come to the table. Their view seems to be that if you're paying for max modules, you're selling yourself (and them :)) short if you don't pair the amp with the dps. I just thought that summarising what we definitely know to be true at the moment would be worthwhile. From what I've been reading on head-fi, etc., an audiophile grade power supply basically consists of what you describe, i.e. a transformer followed by some kind of rectifier circuit and smoothing caps, etc. The thing that differentiates this from a regular power supply is the quality of components and attention to design and extra effort to produce as clean and constant an output as possible. The Astrodyne power supply is, to the best of my knowledge, a switched-mode power supply, which are much smaller and lighter because they don't have transformers in them. They work rather like a d-class amplifier, switching fully on and fully off and being pulse-width modulated in order to produce an output whose average voltage and amperage match the desired specifications. This output must obviously be filtered to smooth it out. Up until fairly recently, switched-mode power supplies have been fairly crude affairs and have been responsible for producing a lot of interference on the mains supply which can affect other equipment sharing the same line. They have generally been considered unsuitable for audio applications. However, many of the issues that have plagued switched-mode supplies seem to have been overcome in recent years and there use in audio applications is becoming more common. Nevertheless, it seems that most audiophiles still consider traditional transformer-based power supplies to be superior to switched-mode ones. My point in mentioning this is that the difference between the two supplies isn't just a matter of different caps. They are two totally different designs. If you already new this, i apologise for restating the obvious. Switched-mode power supplies are nowadays cheaper to manufacture (given the price of copper) than the traditional transformer kind and they are a lot smaller and lighter, which makes for cheaper shipping costs.

So we come back to the question of whether the Astrodyne has the ability to drive the home amp+max dac, max amp+home dac and max amp+max dac combinations in the Desktop line. If we do find out that it can, I can update the tables to reflect this change, but then the situation would be so simple that the tables are probably unnecessary. On paper, it looks like the Astrodyne might be able to handle the max amp+max dac, but I don't have any specifications on what the max amp+max dac draws. Anyone got any ideas? Perhaps someone has mentioned it in a thread around here, but either I've missed the post or I simply don't remember running across anything concrete while meandering around Head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back