Headroom amp upgrade?
Jul 3, 2011 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Deep and Old

New Head-Fier

[size=12.0pt]I currently have the Headroom Desktop amp and I’m contemplating the purchase of the [/size][size=12.0pt]HeadRoom Desktop Power Supply. Headphones are Sennheiser 650’s. What, if any, differences am I likely to hear? [/size]

[size=12.0pt]How would something like the Meir Chorda compare? [/size]

[size=12.0pt]If I change from the Headroom, the replacement would need pre-amp outs as I also run a desktop system.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]For this application, only solid state amps are being considered. [/size]

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 7
I have the Desktop amp and upgraded with the Desktop PSU; bass is deeper and music more luiqid, but it took me a while to notice the changes. I think it was worth the money.

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 7
Just curious, why have you ruled out tubes? Solid state gives better performance at a lower price, but if you've heard some of the myths about tube reliability, maintenance, etc., we'd be happy to dispel those.

Also, if you need preamp functions, there are a number of solid state preamps with headphone jacks. Maybe one of those would work.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 7
HI Uncle Erik,

I used a Conrad Johnson PV10 for many years and enjoyed the sound. However, periodically I'd get whistles, weird rushing sounds and other noises. These sounds drove me nuts! The sounds would go away, sometimes on their own, sometimes with a touch or tap to the tube. I tried many tubes and dampers, but the sounds would always return. I had CJ replace the capacitors, all without success. I spoke with others who had tube preamps, and they too, occasionally had similar issues. I replaced the tube preamp with one from Wyred 4 Sound. I would say that while there are big differences in the quality of music reproduction, the Wyred preamp was an acceptable change. It provided greater bass and treble extension, significantly better detail. It lacked something in the vocals. Overall, it provides a more accurate sound. 
I have greatly appreciated the lack of attention that SS gives and don't want to go back to tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back