Headphones with glasses?
Jan 5, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #16 of 33
headphones used to bother me slightly because of this, but i haven't felt it was any kind of problem for quite a long time. i'm just counting the years until i can my eyes lasered then i won't have to worry about it at all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #17 of 33
Have you considered resting the ear-piece of the glasses on top of your headphone's earcups? It'd look awkward and likely feel awkward for a bit, but I have no doubt that it would work.

Jan 5, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #18 of 33
It works ok on smaller headphones like the Grados but on headphones with bigger ear cups it causes distortion on the glasses (because you have to tilt at a really akward angle) which can give you a headache after a little while.

Jan 5, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #19 of 33
I remember in "USA for Africa" video, Quincy Jones was wearing his 70's look big glasses funny way because of the headphones.

I use glasses occasionally, but fortunately their earpieces run close to my temple and leave no space when pinched by circumaural headphones. It's metal frame and probably flexes some, too.

Jan 5, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #20 of 33
I have probably a little thicker than normal glasses earpieces and I've never had a problem with my cans. I have a pair of HD580's and they are extremely comformtable, but then again maybe I have some abnormal tolerance for pain?

I remember when I was researching what cans to purchase I looked into comfortability with glasses, but after a while I came to the conclusion that it is really based on personal preference.

Best of luck

Jan 5, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #21 of 33
I mostly use contacts, but I have thin wire framed glasses that I wear at night. They are not that comfortable for me with any traditional headphones (HP-1000s, Senn 580s, 600s), but earbuds, etys and K-1000s are fine.

Off-topic: Does anyone else feel like the Darth Vader experience when they take out their contacts? I am referring to the scene where he is dying, and he wants Luke to take off his helmet so he can "look at [him] through[his own] eyes." Somehow I always feel like this. Even though they correct my vision wonderfully, I feel like somehow I am not seeing the world as I was intended to. Hmm.

Jan 5, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #22 of 33
Ok. I can finally give some real input into this thread. I finally got my a900's today (yay
biggrin.gif
) and I can say that wearing glasses with my 'phones doesn't really bother me that much. I notice that they shift my glasses about a little bit, but it isn't uncomfortable by any means, nor does it distort my vision. I've worn them for a little over an hour while wearing my glasses, and the only thing I notice really is that my ears are getting a little warm... but no discomfort due to my glasses, and I'm not wearing those ultra thin metal frames either. I'm wearing my thick plastic frames with temples that are approx. 5 mm in width (compared to my wire frame's 1 mm in width temples).

I just switched over to my wire frames to see if I feel any difference. Yes I do. The wire frames are even less noticeable (I figured it would be). So, even with my thicker plastic frames, I am not bothered by my glasses. Of course, if I take off my glasses, it feels more comfortable, but I don't notice any difference in sound, and definitely not a significant difference in comfort.

Maybe you should go get your glasses adjusted like I suggested before and see if it helps. If it doesn't help, at least your glasses will be straight! Also, if comfort is your only problem, then maybe consider tweaking the headband so it doesn't clamp down as much. I've heard that the senns clamp like a mofo.

Hope you figure it out. Me, I'm gonna get acquainted with my new friend...
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

Jan 6, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #23 of 33
How do the K-1000s fit into this? They clamp onto the temples, which seems like it might interfere with my glasses (thick plastic frames).

J!

Jan 6, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #24 of 33
hehe... I just got contacts today!

However, my glasses never got in the way of my grados, though they were sometimes a problem when using sealed headphones. Not only were they not a problem with the grados, the headphones didn't affect them at all because I like to wear my 'phones low and to the front (I feel they sound better that way).

Jan 6, 2004 at 9:41 AM Post #25 of 33
I think there are two aspects of this. The first is comfort and that depends on type of glasses, headphone and probably also head and how much pressure you can stand without experiencing it as uncomfortable.
The second is quality of sound. For many years ago I tested with Sennheiser HD580 driven from a standard headphone out and cound not find any difference in sound with and without glasses. With my new and more revealing system, the diffierence is obvious. I get a slight deterioration with glasses, enough to take the glasses off. I have thin glasses with bows near the head but the small leakage is enough to affect sound quality. Curiously, on a small percentage of recordings it can sound better and a little more relaxed with glasses, usually recordings of bad quality.

Jan 6, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Demolition

I've been told that the Senn HD 580s with velour pads are quite comfy with glasses. I've got one on order. We'll see.

D.

Yes they are!
Look at this poor pic
me&HD-580.jpg

Jan 6, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #27 of 33
I can't where any headphone with pads that rest directly on the ears(Supraural?), it hurts. Most pads that are around the ears (circumaural) are fine. Although, they make my ears too hot in the summer.

Now I have the K1000's
k1000smile.gif

Remember that the pads slide apart. The pads rest just above my glasses "legs" above my ears. It does make it so that I have to take my K1000's off if I remove my glasses.

-Ed

Jan 6, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #29 of 33
Hi,

currently thinking about getting a KOSS KSC-35 I am wondering if it works with glasses or if I will discover problems wearing it?

Does anyone own a KSC-35 and uses it with glasses, how is it?

CU,
Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back