Headphones with glasses?
Jan 4, 2004 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

JeffL

500+ Head-Fier
Okay this is kinda a take on blade86s question about ideal headband position. I was just thinking IMing a friend when my contact went berzerk and broke in half while in my eye. Being the last set of contacts I had I have to wear glasses now in order to see.

The thing that sucks is a) glasses suck, and b) they prevent my 770s from sealing against my head defeating any sense of isolation and the majority of the bass.

So I'm jsut wondering what those of you with glasses do, aside from getting contacts, lol.

Jan 4, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 33
Your contact broke in half in your eye? That sounds uncomfortable. Well, I used to work at an Optical store (I was a salesman), and I've never heard of a contact lens breaking in half in someone's eye. Hopefully, they weren't made of glass (some old contacts are actually made of glass... that would suck). What kind of contacts do you wear? Hopefully, you are taking good care of your contacts (and of course, your eyes), but with proper care, contacts should not break in half in your eye. They can be torn, but that is usually when you are putting them in. Glasses are MUCH healthier for your eyes. If your glasses don't look good on you, I'd suggest getting a nicer looking pair. As for the sound isolation, I agree with Earwax. Get a pair of glasses that have thin wire temples (the arms). The smaller they are, the less you'll notice them. Thin wire frames are also lighter too! I don't know how bad your eyes are, but if they are real bad, don't bother getting polycarbonate lenses, just bite the bullet and invest in high-index plastic (if you need to, of course).

In all of my experience, I've found that if you can get someone to like their glasses, they will most likely not wear their contacts as often (which is better for the health of your eyes).

I was wondering the same thing too, since I wear plastic frames with thicker temples. I'm wondering how it is going to affect me when I put on my A900's (when I get them this week... finally).

Well, I hope others can contribute so you can work this out. If you do just go back to wearing contacts, make sure you take care of your eyes. Give your eyes a break. If you over-wear contacts, you can risk permanently damaging your eyes to the point where you would no longer be able to wear contacts at all!

Take care (of your eyes and ears). Cheers!

Jan 4, 2004 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 33
I have thick plastic frames.

So, I do Ety's.
smily_headphones1.gif

The only cans that were a real problem so far, are the Sony V6's after about 30 min... Grados w/ vwap pads are perfectly comfy though.

Jan 4, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 33
I also wear glasses. I find that the only headphones that seal well are those that either clamp down on your head (like my Sennheiser HD 280 and HD 1000) or come with velour pads (like my MB Quart QP50).

Sennheisers (mine, anyway) seem to clamp a lot harder than other headphones, so I don't enjoy wearing them as much. The HD 1000s are particularly uncomfortable after prolonged use because of the nature of the earpads (foam supra-aural). I find that they press the glass temples against my head and behind my ears just a bit too tightly, causing minor pain. So, I tended to wear my MB Quart QP50s most of the time (until they went on the fritz a few days ago
mad.gif
).

I've been told that the Senn HD 580s with velour pads are quite comfy with glasses. I've got one on order. We'll see.

D.

Jan 4, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 33
When wearing glasses and headphones (all the time), the clamps are positioned above the ear cups (for Grados and before my DT 880s were sold). They don't affect my sight noticeably for computer use (reading glasses) or watching TV (nearsightedness). The angle of the lens when kicked back in the lazy boy works well (chin almost to chest).

Jan 5, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 33
I have glasses and have found no problems with wearing the Senn HD590s, HD650s or ATH-W1000s; perhaps these are all relatively open headphones, though (??) so I don't notice the lack of isolation. Comfort is fine and sound is great.

I used to wear contact lenses - (glass lenses like in the days of the dinosaurs, according to slunk007 - LOL -) but stopped wearing them after cutting my cornea in one eye; haven't tried them since. Glasses aren't great, but after 35+ years of wearing them, I guess I'm used to them!

Jan 5, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #10 of 33
I find most headphones pretty hard even on my super thin frames. Etys and the K1000 are the only ones that are completely comfortable. I usually take them off--don't really need to see well while listening!
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

Jan 5, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by OakIris
I have glasses and have found no problems with wearing the Senn HD590s, HD650s or ATH-W1000s; perhaps these are all relatively open headphones, though (??) so I don't notice the lack of isolation. Comfort is fine and sound is great.

The Senns that you mentioned have nice, comfy pads. They're far different from the pads on the 280 and 1000. The 280's clamp my head like a machinist's vise and the 1000s are more for show (so they don't have to feel good, I guess
rolleyes.gif
). That's why I've ordered Senn 580s. The 580's earpad style looks similar to that of the 650. Most people I've talked to say that they're very comfy.

Quote:

Originally posted by OakIris
I used to wear contact lenses - (glass lenses like in the days of the dinosaurs, according to slunk007 - LOL -) but stopped wearing them after cutting my cornea in one eye; haven't tried them since. Glasses aren't great, but after 35+ years of wearing them, I guess I'm used to them!

Back in the day, I asked about contact lenses, but was told that my eyes were too curved/flat/whatever. So, I've worn glasses for the last 25 years. Metal frame, hardened photochromic glass lenses. As you said, glasses aren't great, but you get used to them after a while.

D.

Jan 5, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #12 of 33
I have huge glasses and have never had a problem. The DT770s seemed just fine with them.

Cheers,
Geek

Jan 5, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #13 of 33
I never thought about this.
I wear glasses, and I haven't noticed any issues with headphones. I do have thin wire temples, so maybe that is why I don't have any problems.

Jan 5, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Well, I used to work at an Optical store (I was a salesman), and I've never heard of a contact lens breaking in half in someone's eye. Hopefully, they weren't made of glass (some old contacts are actually made of glass... that would suck). What kind of contacts do you wear? Hopefully, you are taking good care of your contacts (and of course, your eyes), but with proper care, contacts should not break in half in your eye.

Well, I have worn contacts regularly for the last year and a half. Generally I take good care of my eyes (or so I'd like to think, I'm headed off to the eye doctor this week). The contacts are made of a flexible porous plastic, they are Acuvue Toric lenses because I supposedly have astigmatism. Not sure on that, I personally think I am being ripped off by wearing lenses that cost 5 times the nontoric version
mad.gif

Anywho, I had just put them in maybe 20 minutes before posting this thread. They were freshly opened out of the pack. It is probable that I am to blame for tearing the lense when getting it out of the pack. Needless to say when I took the lense out it was torn. I was suprised.

It has been a while since I've worn glasses, so I really am not used to them, but before contacts I've worn glasses since I was 2 years old, so I am no strange to them. It is very surprising how much more comfortable my 770s are without glasses on though. They are a relatively thin frame I suppose, probably 1-2mm in thickness, not very flexible, so the 770s don't seal where the frame goes through.

Maybe it is just I am not using the right glasses for headphone useage, not used to them, and/or because the 770s are just frickin' huge! lol
600smile.gif

Jan 5, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #15 of 33
Yeah just give those glasses some time. Even though you're no stranger to wearing them, if your head isn't acustomed to them because you've been wearing your contacts all the time (which is NOT good for your eyes, btw), then they might feel a little uncomfortable at first.

Also, if you're glasses are old, chances are they may need an adjustment. Time will do strange things to a frame, and just from everyday wear, they may eventually go out of the best fitting shape for your mellon. Nosepads, temples, etc. need to be adjusted, screws need to be tightened. If you go into your eyeglass store and ask for an adjustment, you just might be surprised how much better they fit and feel. Then try them again with your 'phones and see if they feel any better.

As for your contact lenses, wearing torics is always tough since the lenses are weighted and need to be just right in order to see clearly. But you already knew that. Whether or not you need torics is up to your eye doctor, or optician, but they don't make a decision unless you give them input. They always ask YOU if it is better or worse, right?. If you think that while wearing normal contact lenses that you could see good enough, and you don't feel the need to use torics, then maybe you should talk to your contact lens fitter (doctor or optician) about it. Nobody can tell you what looks clear to YOU. Just like nobody can tell you what sounds better to YOU. Just keep in mind however, that if you have an astigmatism, regular lenses will never be as clear as torics. Sorry, but your eyes are shaped like footballs...
biggrin.gif

If you feel like you're getting had, you might be right. If you bought your lenses from your doctor's own store, he/she is probably trying to push you to buy stuff that you may not necessarily need. Doctors that have their own eyeglass/contact lens stores make a KILLING. If that's the case, and you suspect your doctor of taking advantage of your wallet (and your precious headphone money), then take your business elsewhere.

With that said, from the sounds of it, you didn't injure your eye too badly, but you're simply out of contacts at the moment. Am I right? Definitely get your glasses adjusted for the hell of it, and (depending on how old your glasses are) maybe consider getting a new pair that feel more comfortable to you.

Sorry to rant slightly off-topic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back