Headphones with emphasis on vocals
Feb 27, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
Audio Technica, just about every one of them have upfront vocals I believe. Cheaper stuff? AKG K501 maybe?

never liked the 650 with vocals, grainy texture and sounds very far apart.

Really? I find the vocals on my A700 to be recessed. How good are a pair of AKG 240S's with vocals?

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
Really? I find the vocals on my A700 to be recessed. How good are a pair of AKG 240S's with vocals?

well yeah i did say "i believe" coz i wasnt 100% sure. I've only got the W5k and that's the only AT phone i've heard of and it does have very upfront and sweet vocal reproduction. Aside from that, i did read alot of AT being good in vocals here but manybe only the woodies
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #21 of 40
I have HD 595s with a Black Dragon recable and the vocal on them are simply amazing IMHO. I just picked up Feist-Let it Die (canadian femal vocalist) and was blown away.

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #22 of 40
I'm looking for a can with emphasive on vocals too. My research has led me to definitely want to try AKG K501 for it's liquid midrange. The phones are pretty cheap, but from what I've read you've gotta have a hefty, well-paired amp.

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #23 of 40
I recommend the HD 595 over both the HD650 and RS-1 if you want your vocals to be more forward. I find the other 2 latter headphones to be more balanced sounding in relative to the HD 595.

But the HD 595 is still a nice phone
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #25 of 40
HD650 with Blue Dragon (cant go wrong)
HD580/600 with Cardas + change foam tweak (can sound magical but limited dynamics and with a few records unnatural sounding)
AT wood-cup phones (also can sound magical but can also sound horrid with some recordings)

stay away from Sony SA5000, zu mobius, and all the other silver after-market cable

Feb 27, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #26 of 40
the Headphile K3000 was the best can ive heard with the vocals, although the MS-Pro is also very good, and my Modded HF-1s also sound very nice in the vocal area.

Didnt particularly like the HD650 with Zu Mobius or the SA5000 as I felt vocals sounded too distant.

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #27 of 40
I'll throw in another vote for the Grado RS-1. I've got them and the HD650, and for most vocal-based music (with the exception of opera) I'd easily choose the RS-1's. Something with the mahogany, I tells ya! Must be heard to be believed!
rs1smile.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by drlee27
I am just wondering which cans offer a sound with a forward presentation of full bodied vocals, regardless of price. I don't care if the sound is colored or not.

Regardless of price? Consider the STAX Omega II set (with the 007t tube amp). Beutiful with vocals.

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Same here. I guess the Senn cans can thought of as "vocals" oriented cans, especially male vocals because of their alluring, ever so smooth and soothing midrange. The Grados are more lively in the upper registers and probably favor female vocals more so than male vocals.

Another possibility would be along the lines of the Sony SA5000, Stax SR-404, or Audio Technica AD2000 varieties, all of which are very quick and detailed and have extended upper frequencies. One caveat: sometimes "quickness" can mean bad things for vocals, particularly when the decay is as quick as is the leading edge of notes. This is a problem that I've experienced with the SA5000's in particular. Some would refer to these types of headphones as "light and airy" but I think that's an over generalization because they all respond well to different amplification and sources and thus can have a very pronounced bass response in the right system. Yet, in general, It think you would find them to be quite pleasant with most vocal styles, both male and female.

A third train of thought would the "middle of the road" types of sonic presentations where no particular aspect (highs, mids, or lows) is given special emphasis. In other words, neutral cans. Here, I'm thinking along the lines of the AKG K701 or Senn HD650 (especially with the Zu Mobius, Moon Audio Silver Dragon, or Equinox replacement cables) or even the Beyer DT880 (although I like the other two a little better). These cans do vocals well, but in truth, they do pretty much everything well and just get out of the way and let whatever is on the recording pass through. The nice thing about these types of "neutral" cans, is that they "support" the vocals quite well without causing any offense to the listener. What I mean by this is that vocals are seldom presented without musical accompanyment, and the K701, HD650 and DT880's of the world won't ever make you cringe from ear bleeding highs or make you deaf from subsonic lows. They all do bass reasonably well but not to the detriment of anything else. In other words, it doesn't dominate the presentation.

strange I find grado are great for male voice as their voice is "maganized"..LOL...and is too shrill for female voices when they pronouce those "s"

but if you want nice layered effect, HD650 does it nicley as it has great depth and really give you a sense of space...don't think grado can top that.

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #30 of 40
I'm Shocked no one mentioned Shure E4c it totaly emphasis the vocals, and it make them to be present in such a clean and crystal clear way, totaly amazing, when I got my E4c I finnaly got the chance to really understand what all of those artist I listen to were talking about, in songs I could barly hear what they say, and thats opposed to my stereo system and my HF-1 / Dt-880.
I havent heared the HD 5xx series but I do think that the Shure E4c is one amazing can for vocals, though I dont know if it will be good to Vocal music.
If you dont have any problem with IEM you might give it a shot...
basshead.gif

Good luck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back