Headphones with Bass $150-200 Range
Nov 2, 2012 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Corrupted

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, Im kind of a newb at this so forgive me if I ask an obvious question here.

I love loud, rumbling bass from my speaker systems. However, I've never owned or even tried on headphones with loud bass, I don't actually know if I will like it or ultimately find it annoying.
Regardless, I want my headphones to have the capability, and every normal pair I've owned I felt the bass is not sufficient (Currently I have some Gamecon 377's and they have no bass at all)

Ive narrowed down my choices to either the Audio-Technica Pro700 MK2 (with M50 pads for comfort) or the Sennheiser 438's.

What are your guys thoughts? Will I HAVE to buy an amp to get bass out of these, or do they have decent bass stock?
Would a good alternative be to just buy an amp and try it on my 377's?
Any other headphones that you would recommend over my choices?

Thanks

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 10
I'm actually in the same position as you. After reading this thread, I'm thinking of picking up the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and they're on sale too, which makes it perfect. I'm still kind of indecisive right now though and I'm not sure if I need an amp or not. I'll be mainly using these cans at home while on my laptop, but a portable amp would be good for all-purpose use since I do listen to music with my iems on the go.

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 10
Wow I really like what Ive read about those Custom One Pro's

The ability to change the bass level sounds pretty cool. One question though, all the reviews seem to say that they really struggle with mids.
I enjoy listening to a lot of bass heavy songs (see Bassnectar - Timestretch [west coast lo-fi remix]), but I also like groups such as Muse (which is heavy with mids, I think).

I dont consider myself an audiophile, but I hate it when speakers lack... substance. Maybe Im worried over nothing here, can anyone speak from experience about the Custom Ones with stuff like Muse/alt rock?

edit: After reading about the Q40s, those seem to be the ones to buy. Most of the reviews said they had no trouble with mids, and that is more important to me than being able to adjust how much bass I hear

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
Hey guys, Im kind of a newb at this so forgive me if I ask an obvious question here.

I love loud, rumbling bass from my speaker systems. However, I've never owned or even tried on headphones with loud bass, I don't actually know if I will like it or ultimately find it annoying.
Regardless, I want my headphones to have the capability, and every normal pair I've owned I felt the bass is not sufficient (Currently I have some Gamecon 377's and they have no bass at all)

Ive narrowed down my choices to either the Audio-Technica Pro700 MK2 (with M50 pads for comfort) or the Sennheiser 438's.

What are your guys thoughts? Will I HAVE to buy an amp to get bass out of these, or do they have decent bass stock?
Would a good alternative be to just buy an amp and try it on my 377's?
Any other headphones that you would recommend over my choices?

Thanks

Heya,

Beyer DT770 PRO & Custom One's
M-Audio Q40
Ultrasone HFI 580
Sony XB700
AudioTechnica PRO700MK2

Match with a Fiio E10 DAC/AMP for home use, set bass switch on for +3db of bass without distortion. Makes anything quite bassy. Alternatively, Fiio E7 for a portable version.

Very best,

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 10
edit: After reading about the Q40s, those seem to be the ones to buy. Most of the reviews said they had no trouble with mids, and that is more important to me than being able to adjust how much bass I hear

I bought both the COPs and the q40s this week and I found the q40s much better overall. Similar bass signatures but the rest of the spectrum was much better on the q40s. They also sealed better on my head...seemed to be a bit less bulky...and they are more comfortable. Not to mention 20-30 cheaper. No downsides really.

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 10
Hey Cillu, I was going to wait until Black Friday to pick up the Q40s.
Since we seemed to be in the exact same position, whats your opinion of the amp? Worth it or not / how much of a difference?

Thanks everyone for your opinions btw!

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 10
I completely forgot about black friday and have already ordered everything, oops. Anyways, from my research, 90% of the time an amp will help improve sound. Since I'm just getting into the game now (and I'm sure I'll buy another set of headphones later on down the road), I looked at it as a multi-purpose kind of thing. The returns look like it will be worth the investment, I'm sure. Also, a big plus is that the one I purchased is portable so I can also use it while on the go with my iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back