Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Top Bass Booming Headphones under $300 USD.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Top Bass Booming Headphones under $300 USD.

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 

I looked up though previous forums but cant really find a clear one on which is the best.

 

I was leaning towards Ultrasones or something?

 

I know about the sony xb series but im not sure if those are the best choice, i dont want the bass too overpowering loosing all the other sounds to my music

 

I listen to dnb / dubstep / rap / hiphop / trance / techno / r&b / electro ect.

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! i currently have the C421 amp btw

post #2 of 43

Heya,

 

Well, what else do you want besides "booming bass?" Do you want it to be a balanced capable bass with normal mids and some sparkly treble? Do you want the treble to be completely smoothed out so that it's less bright? Do you have a preference towards sub-bass or are you more into mid-bass ( huge difference )? Are you limiting this to closed back (assuming yes)?

 

Denon D2000 - Best sub-bass in it's class to me for all genres, but man is it exquisite with EDM/Dub/Trance. Really digs low, and presents it very well, sub-bass is absolutely phenomenal here. The mids and treble are great too, overall great sound for everything, kind of like a little speaker set.

 

Ultrasone PRO900 - Massive mid-bass, but sub-bass is less obvious, mids are drown out pretty badly (vocals in trance for example will sound distant), treble is very spiked, so it's very bright, quite sibilant. I would actually suggest the PRO 750 instead. Better overall sound, assuming you don't want to just hear mid-bass cannons and nothing else. Consider the Ultrasone HFI 580 too here. The PRO750 and HFI580 are better for a more balanced sound but still very bass capable and engaging while not being overly bright (still bright mind).

 

M-Audio Q40 - Big sub-bass, sizable mid-bass, normal mids for a "V" (but vocals still sound fine, they're not distant), and treble is really rolled off, so they're a smooth/darker sounding headphone, less harsh in treble, very forgiving sounding because of that. The bass is similar to that of the Ultrasone series, and because of that, I think the Q40 is simply the better bassy headphone and the PRO900 is actually just too wonky and too bright, the Q40 is just better for this.

 

Beyer DT990 PRO - Big mid-bass, decent sub-bass (less impact, it's open), good mids, bright treble. Great for a bassy open headphone. Not much really is bassier in the open-back design class in this price range. Very comfortable.

 

The Q40 with a Fiio E11 pumps out so much bass, while still having normal sounding mids (vocals/instruments) and has no fatigue smoothed out treble, that it allows you to listen fairly loud, and get more bass output than most headphones in it's class and even above it's class. It's just such a bassy can. I like it's bass presentation and level more than the XB500 because it does it without drown out mids, and more than the PRO900 because it doesn't have ear piercing treble. I prefer the D2000 to them all because it sounds more natural and speaker like and is way more comfortable, but it's going to sound less immediately bassy, and it's twice as expensive (if not three times).

 

Since you don't want it so bassy that you can hear mids normally, I would put you on the Q40, D2000, PRO750 & HFI580 for closed.

 

Very best,


Edited by MalVeauX - 10/11/12 at 2:49am
post #3 of 43

Awesome post as usual MalVeauX. I was about to mention the PRO 900's but held my tounge because i realize they are polarizing headphones but do have the most mid bass available.

 

I am happy to see you still recommending the D2000's over everything here tho, the only concern i have with the D2000's is that I have heard more then once is that the D2000's are too slow for EDM. I am guessing this is referring to their transient response and has something to do with their microfiber drivers (and/or magnet) as opposed the the PRO 900's Titanium coated drivers and I think...stronger magnet. Correct me if i am wrong.


Edited by SIDWULF - 10/11/12 at 10:39am
post #4 of 43

The Q40 seem to have build quality problems though. Out of those obviously the D2000 as long as you aren't too sensitive to treble/sibilance.

post #5 of 43
Thread Starter 

The Denon seems really good but over my budget atm, maybe if the price drops more, ill buy it. I currently have the AT M50'S / Q701 / Miles davis tributes and i kinda wanna sell my M50'S and get something better :). I like nice bass thats crisp and not overdoing it, i wanna hear the lows and highs and melody!

post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDWULF View Post

Awesome post as usual MalVeauX. I was about to mention the PRO 900's but held my tounge because i realize they are polarizing headphones but do have the most mid bass available.

 

I am happy to see you still recommending the D2000's over everything here tho, the only concern i have with the D2000's is that I have heard more then once is that the D2000's are too slow for EDM. I am guessing this is referring to their transient response and has something to do with their microfiber drivers (and/or magnet) as opposed the the PRO 900's Titanium coated drivers and I think...stronger magnet. Correct me if i am wrong.

 

Two problems that I have with D2000 for EDM: sometimes slow (especially for 130ish + BPM tracks) and lack of mid-bass at times, especially on fast tracks. I much prefer my HE-500 in these areas.

 

Sub-bass rumble is the best I've heard so far, vocals are quite nice for trance, soundstage is really good since it's not sealed, I find the treble quite suitable for long sessions.

post #7 of 43

I listen to DnB quite a bit, and I don't think the Denons are too slow at all. EDM sounds amazing on the D2000. I think people get a bit confused because of it's warmth.

post #8 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Two problems that I have with D2000 for EDM: sometimes slow (especially for 130ish + BPM tracks) and lack of mid-bass at times, especially on fast tracks. I much prefer my HE-500 in these areas.

 

Sub-bass rumble is the best I've heard so far, vocals are quite nice for trance, soundstage is really good since it's not sealed, I find the treble quite suitable for long sessions.


The HE-500 is so expensive :/ any other recommendations?

post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwong247 View Post


The HE-500 is so expensive :/ any other recommendations?

 

Check out a used HE-400 here at head-fi sale forums...I've seen them go up to $330 ish....Definitely would recommend them and plus they aren't fussy with amps.

post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin89 View Post

I listen to DnB quite a bit, and I don't think the Denons are too slow at all. EDM sounds amazing on the D2000. I think people get a bit confused because of it's warmth.

 

For DNB, I find the D2000 quite good with sub-bass response and percussive elements. Although for the euphoric type trance or mainstream ish EDM with vocals (Paul Van Dyk, Armin, Above and Beyond)....it sometimes feels slow and not fully resolving, perhaps because of my HE-500 (although even before the HE-500 I still thought they were at times slow for those sub-genres.

 

It should be noted that I'm just critiquing the D2000 on the very fine points. Don't blow this up though, I'm sure most people will love the D2000 with pretty much everything. In fact, they are my favourite closed phones at the moment. Super comfortable for long sessions. Also for watching movies, I like them more then my HE-500 - comfort trumps it and the soundstage seems quite good and the rumble - its like the drivers fill your head with sub-bass (not high impact like pro 900 but just kind of a.....**** I can't think of the words right now...you have to experience it for yourself to know.

post #11 of 43
I like amplified Sony XB 1000's.
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

For DNB, I find the D2000 quite good with sub-bass response and percussive elements. Although for the euphoric type trance or mainstream ish EDM with vocals (Paul Van Dyk, Armin, Above and Beyond)....it sometimes feels slow and not fully resolving, perhaps because of my HE-500 (although even before the HE-500 I still thought they were at times slow for those sub-genres.

 

It should be noted that I'm just critiquing the D2000 on the very fine points. Don't blow this up though, I'm sure most people will love the D2000 with pretty much everything. In fact, they are my favourite closed phones at the moment. Super comfortable for long sessions. Also for watching movies, I like them more then my HE-500 - comfort trumps it and the soundstage seems quite good and the rumble - its like the drivers fill your head with sub-bass (not high impact like pro 900 but just kind of a.....**** I can't think of the words right now...you have to experience it for yourself to know.

 

I get what you're saying. We've just had different experiences and that's okay. I think critiquing the fine points is warranted on a site like this, so I'm not saying you're wrong.

post #13 of 43

Although it may be a wrong way, I prefer to hear through BBE482i when I want bass power.

PC -> DAC2-March -> BBE482i -> FET AMP KIT -> SONY MDR-ZX650 or X10

LO CONTOUR knob is set to 4 to 6 to boost bass, PROCESS knob is set to 6 to 8 to compensate treble.

Since these DAC and amplifier were found in my junk box, you can use any model.

More expensive headphones are not fit to this uncommon system.

post #14 of 43
Ultrasone HFI-2400 has nice midbass impact and overall extension, good soundstaging, and nice enough mids and treble. Especially for the ~$180-$200 they sometimes drop to. smily_headphones1.gif With a bit more refinement, I'd probably nod at the Kenwood KH-K1000 or ESW9, but neither of them have the "slam" of the 2400. Something also tells me the K1000 will sit outside of your budget. redface.gif

The Denon suggestion isn't bad either, but I'm not a fan of their treble.
post #15 of 43
I got my d2000's for $200 free shipping from J & R. Gotta call em and ask to see if they have it at that price. Usually do.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Top Bass Booming Headphones under $300 USD.