headphones vs speakers?
May 2, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #31 of 33
Headphones give you better sound for the money as long as you're not going into the super high priced headphone territory.

I'd pick a good speaker setup over a good headphone setup any day of the week though.

May 3, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #32 of 33
If you have acoustically treated room, I would go with a nice pair of speakers. My room acoustic isn't that good, so my Paradigm 100V3 with Sony STR-DA9000ES (Digital Amplifier via iLink playing SACD) is still no match to both my R10 and HE90 system.

May 3, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #33 of 33
For years i only used headphones due to lack of space, but ecently i had the opportunity to install a speaker system in a dedicated room. I took the DIY route and chose a rather inexpensive design which should offer good sound quality ( two way, with 10" woofers in a transmission line enclosure ).

Speakers offer a true soundstage and better instrument separation, i don't really think they miss much detail compared to my headphones, at least nothing that interferes with a good listening experience.

However i'm happy to sacrifice some useless micro detail for the realism only a pair of speakers can grant. Cans might sound very nice, but if you want a bass drum to sound real you have to move a lot of air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back