headphones vs speakers?
Apr 25, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #17 of 33
When I'm relaxing, I typically go for the sr225s or the hd555s. I love both of them, but its not nearly as fun as my p4s, or even my car stereo. I love blasting my speakers. I think its best to spend a little money on both, they have different applications.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebigcanman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
putting expensive speakers in a terrible listening room is like listening to your HD800s on the bus

...or as an old friend of mine once said, "It's like drinking Jack Daniel's from a Dixie Cup."

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #20 of 33
These days I find myself leaning more towards speakers for casual listening.

Apr 26, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speakers are better. If you want a deal try some mmgs.

I don't think either is better, just different.
smily_headphones1.gif

I fell speakers can provide better sound quality (with an unlimited budget), but headphones will always seem more personal to me. Generally I like headphones for music, and when the situation allows, speakers for movies.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #23 of 33
I only listen to my headphones if I can't use my speakers.
Since I have two young kids in the family, I use headphones for music listening most of the time. One thing I cannot get used to is watching tv or a movie with headphones, it is not the same and makes me feel like I'm on an airplane.

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speakers > Headphones

Yep

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone seems to overlook used and DIY speakers.

Indeed. Dollars seem to stretch further with used speakers and equipment than used headphones and their respective equipment. There's decent sound to be had for thrift store budgets.

May 2, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #27 of 33
The most common argument is always that headphones give you better detail for the money spent. It's true in some sense, but I wouldn't say it's completely true.

The details in question still exist in speakers without having having to spend thousands of dollars. The difference is the details in the details. Small, detailed sounds have even more depth to them on a good headphone setup. This isn't true of just any headphone, though.

Another difference is in the presentation of the details. The details are very up front and noticeable with a headphone setup whereas a speaker setup doesn't present them that way. They still exist, just presented differently and more understated.

I actually feel that a speaker setup presents details more realistically. On the other hand, nice headphones can give some amazing levels of detail. Overall, I feel the other benefits of speakers far outweigh the different presentation and levels of detail between headphones and speakers.

edit: Also, deals on used speakers can be incredible. Rarely do the markdowns of used headphones come close to what used speaker markdowns can be. It's far more common to find an incredible deal on speakers than headphones (anecdotal from my years of hunting).

May 2, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speakers.

Everyone seems to overlook used and DIY speakers.

The Quad ESL-63s were about $650. They're better than any headphones I've heard.

That's the weird thing, you'd think that used speakers would be a more viable option for buyers than used headphones, because you're not physically interacting with speakers (when used correctly
biggrin.gif
). Then again, shipping is probably a big issue for the used market of speakers.

May 2, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #30 of 33
Shipping can be an issue with big speakers without the original packing boxes but there are ways round it. Sellers can have boxes made for them. You save hundreds if not thousands in buying second hand when it comes to speakers. The saving is huge compared to headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back