headphones vs speakers...
Oct 30, 2008 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

z999

New Head-Fier
the question that is as old as time itself.... speakers or headphones?
but to be more specific, I have considered buying headphones for my computer (for like a 100$) but I can also get myself at the same price speakers such as the harman kardons or a good logitech 2.1 system..... I'm not going to listen at very high volume but I do like the addition of a subwoofer and the ability to listen while not being next to the computer. your opinion?

and one more qustion, at the price point of 100$, 200$ and 500$ what do you think would sound better - speakers or headphones?
thx,
ziv
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 16
Headphones, clearly. A set of headphones costing around $100-200 sounds better than most speaker-system below $400. If you climb even higher, headphones costing $600-800 is probably just as good as speaker-systems costing as much as $3000.

At least, this is my opinion. I love headphones
biggrin.gif
Speakers can't deliver the same closeness to the sound. IMO headphones are best for watching movies as well. Horror-movies + the closeness of a HP = iiiiiiik !!!

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 16
Better is always subjective. I think it would be reasonable to say that at any price point mentioned headphones will have better detail/texture and speakers will have better soundstage. There is also the physical sensation which speakers can give and which headphones lack.

If you do a search I'm sure you can dig up quite a few topics concerning this issue.

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 16
I have a pair of Harmon Kardon Soundsticks 2. When i sit in front of them, say 450mm away from each satellite, they sound utterly sublime.
They are very forgiving with recording and source quality.

If only I could find a headphone that consistently sounded as good.

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better is always subjective. I think it would be reasonable to say that at any price point mentioned headphones will have better detail/texture and speakers will have better soundstage. There is also the physical sensation which speakers can give and which headphones lack.

If you do a search I'm sure you can dig up quite a few topics concerning this issue.

X2
I couldn't have said it better.

I suggest you use the search button. There is a lot of info and never ending debate about which one is better, there's still no clear cut answer for that.
You should really think about what you want. Headphone sits closer to your ears and usually will give you more nuances of the music compared to speakers. Speakers is good if you like the comfort, subwoofer for the bass, natural soundstage and air, etc.

My friends have the Soundsticks II, and I prefer SR60 by far to those.. because of my preference.

I would stay away from Logitech. I think their speakers sound very artificial, and the bass is terribly boomy.

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 16
If your looking for something to provide sound away from your computer, and aren't going to go with both (headphones/speakers), then it seems to me your only option is speakers, as you can do both with them.

And, if you do go the speaker route, do check out AudioEngine2. They cost around 200 bucks, and sound fantastic up close (at computer) and can fill a smaller-sized room with a moderate amount of sound.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 16
Headphones..Both have pro's and cons.. My main beef are people that think speakers are clearly better simply be cause the are speakers. HT snobery. Many don't take headphones seriously, and get offended if you compare then to speakers, or point out advantages.. I like headphones cause I'm the only one listening to audio. I like being in my own little world.

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by z999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the question that is as old as time itself.... speakers or headphones?
but to be more specific, I have considered buying headphones for my computer (for like a 100$) but I can also get myself at the same price speakers such as the harman kardons or a good logitech 2.1 system..... I'm not going to listen at very high volume but I do like the addition of a subwoofer and the ability to listen while not being next to the computer. your opinion?

and one more qustion, at the price point of 100$, 200$ and 500$ what do you think would sound better - speakers or headphones?
thx,
ziv
smily_headphones1.gif

If detail is your thing, then get headphones.

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If detail is your thing, then get headphones.

Agree, if you care more about the sound quality, details, get the headphones.
If you care more about the soundstage, and a bass lover, get the speakers.

Oct 31, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 16
Dollar for dollar, headphones are definitely better. But if you've got tons of money to blow, there are some sweet speaker setups that would make even the most hard core headphoner envious. However, I find speakers more confining than headphones. You can't leave the sweet spot with speakers. Headphones offer a bit more mobility.

In your case, I'd recommend headphones.

Oct 31, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 16
Use both. There are plenty of bargain speakers about, but you have to go used or DIY. DIY is not bad, especially if you go for singledrivers. Simple cabinets and no crossover make the electronics a 5-10 minute affair. Bang for buck, Fostex drivers in a Voigt Pipe will deliver under $150.

I like to use both - headphones fit the bill some days and others, I fire up the speakers. It would be hard to not have both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back