Headphones vs IEMs?
Jun 15, 2012 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cerealbox760

Head-Fier
How they compare? I never owned a hi end pair of headphones. And buying a new pair of headphones, which I dont need, is proving to be really tempting. 

Ive been told headphones give a 'speaker-like' sound and IEMs give a more "accurate" sound. What does that even mean? I own an IE80. So how would an iem like that compare to headphones like the Pro900 and the Beyerdynamics?

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 4
Sound waves from an IEM require only a minimal distance to travel, so they're usually technically more accurate. Unfortunately, the vast majority of recordings are mixed with speaker listening in mind, so "more accurate" could also mean "more artificial-sounding".

Headphones provide more of an "out-of-head" feeling. I feel that even some cheap $50 headphone will do this better than a $500 IEM. So I don't use IEMs unless I absolutely need the isolation.

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 4
How they compare? I never owned a hi end pair of headphones. And buying a new pair of headphones, which I dont need, is proving to be really tempting. 

Ive been told headphones give a 'speaker-like' sound and IEMs give a more "accurate" sound. What does that even mean? I own an IE80. So how would an iem like that compare to headphones like the Pro900 and the Beyerdynamics?

When I go to the gym I use IEM, no point of wearing headphone as earpads get hot and lot of sweat,

For home/office I use headphones

I am not sure if this is one of "urban legend" but using IEM will damage your ear faster than the headphone.
But definitely if you really want to enjoy the music get a headphone.

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 4
Im seriously considering getting the Ultrasones Pro 900. I just dont want to go through the hassle of getting these headphones and be disappointed with the sound. And with new higher end headphones, im pretty sure im going to new a better amp than my Fiio E10. *looks at walltet* ugh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back