headphones under $50?
Dec 12, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #17 of 30
i had a set of headphones that used that same exact frame as the tascam you showed.. the headband and everything is identical to the ones i had.. had about 3 pairs of them too and they all busted, so im cautious about that style of headband holding up for a long time... btw, i have a BIG head.. were talking a 25" circumference 

any mods i could make to tone down the brightness on the 681s?

my priority first and foremost is durability, i want something that can last forever.. second is i want something that can use 50mm drivers or more (gives more flexibility to the drivers i could potentially upgrade with), third is the detachable cable, that i can always mod myself

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #19 of 30
i hate the style of detachable cable used by them.. id rather just do the mod myself and have a female jack installed myself.. but how can one tame the brightness short of replacing the drivers?

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #20 of 30
so within my budget we have the superlux HD668B and HD681, as well as the JVC HA-RX700s

of these, which is the best value, which has the most mods (i think the JVCs win this category) and which ones are going to be the most durable, longest lasting chassy, making them worth taking the effort to upgrade and mod?

umm.. a website i was just ad listed the superlux hd681 as on-ear.. is this true?

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #21 of 30
im changing a couple of my requirements, i was thinking and well, i dont think a detachable cable is all that important, in fact, could it be a source of static, or just another component that could go wrong?.. recabling isnt difficult at all, just a matter of soldering a few wires and i've done this before.. so no big deal.. and i could easily make up a quality braided fabric shielded cable that could last forever, solder it in and be done

other requirements im changing, i want something thats going to be REALLY comfortable, something that i can also upgrade to velour pads later on

and i want an open style headphone, but i guess this is not so important, i could always make a headphone open

i think all these things point to the HD681s, but ive heard some reviewers say they were crap build quality which concerns me

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #22 of 30
Get the Takstar HI2050. It's a modders dream. 

HD 681 is light and plastic but very durable imo. Obviously not on-ear they have huge around ear ear pads.

Really depends on which look you like best.  

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #24 of 30
takstars are higher than im really comfortable going right now.. i want to keep it as low as possible but remain flexible in future modifications to build a better headset

i notice the HD681s look like 240K knockoffs, how much difference is there between the two? seems a lot of the same mods and parts work on either one, like velour pads

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #25 of 30
anymore opinions or suggestions i should consider? or is the HD681 and the RX700s my primary options?.. also, how easy is it to open up and work on the HD681s for modifications?.. the RX700s look easy to open up and work on which could make them easier to mod

Dec 17, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #28 of 30
im just going to go with the cheaper ones that are more of AKG knockoffs, see how i like the way they fit on the head, do some mods, add velour pads and if i like how they fit and feel, then if/when they brake i know its ok to spend more and get something like AKG K240s but, headband component seems to be the same, cups may be made out of a cheaper plastic, maybe not as high quality drivers, but that gives me more room to do the mods i want with the money saved, so ill get the 681s

its also my first step into semi-open headphones, i've only previously had closed and open and much prefer open so i'd like to see how semi-open differs before spending more money in higher quality

Dec 17, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #29 of 30
FWIW, I really like my HD681s. Nice low end, decent mids and sparkle up top. Pads are crap though. I spent an additional $12 on Amazon and replaced them with velours.

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #30 of 30
yeah.. thats what im going to do.. going to mod them anyway, thatll include putting in better drivers too if i have to.. so velour pads, maybe recabling it, hardwood cups thatll fit the pre-existing headband and pads.. umm, may even put a detachable microphone jack on it so i can use it as a headset too? they just use AKG K240 pads, right? are those the velour pads id need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back