headphones under $50?
Dec 11, 2014 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

jason41987

100+ Head-Fier
im looking for a set of headphones under $50.. i would like a durable construction, something that isnt going to break easy, preferably with a metal band over the top.. id also like something that used 50mm drivers and had a detachable cable.. the ones i like so far ar JVC HA-RX700, but the cable isnt detachable.. i could always make a modification myself to attach a detachable cable at a later date when the original cable gets damaged.. so long as the rest of it was worth keeping long enough to warrant such modifications

so.. suggestions?

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 30
i looked the silverados.. are all parts on those things metal? unfortunately only 40mm drivers.. you know, i'm kind of wanting to find some headphones i can take the headband portion off of and fab up my own at some point by making hardwood cups, higher quality drivers, detachable cable, etc.. but anyway.. i was looking at the JVC HA-RX700, the california silverados, superlux HD 681, and samson SR850.. none of them but the california model has the detachable cable, all seem to have metal construction, all but the californias have 50mm drivers, and i dont know which ones would be the best basis for making my own upgrades.. i can always solder in my own 3.5mm jack for a detachable cable

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 30
  im looking for a set of headphones under $50.. i would like a durable construction, something that isnt going to break easy, preferably with a metal band over the top.. id also like something that used 50mm drivers and had a detachable cable.. the ones i like so far ar JVC HA-RX700, but the cable isnt detachable.. i could always make a modification myself to attach a detachable cable at a later date when the original cable gets damaged.. so long as the rest of it was worth keeping long enough to warrant such modifications

so.. suggestions?

If you don't need isolation you should strongly consider Takstar Hi-2050

Best Luck!

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 30
Funny thing is that I'm wondering the same question as the OP.

I'm looking for commuter headphones that are under $50.

I personally have Sennheiser 515's for home use and LOVE LOVE LOVE them. But obviously on the subway, I don't want to be the dick whose music you can hear. Is there any comparable headphones in that range? I love Sennheiser's too though because of the pair I have.

Any suggestions from Amazon?

Thanks a bunch!

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 30
i personally dont care either way if headphones are open or closed.. im more concerned with comfort and durability.. in fact i did have an open pair of headphones before.. they were a turtle beach headset i used for console gaming but one thing i liked about them was that they didnt make my ears full "full" and constricted.. there was steady airflow in an out and i liked that

id love to find something though that i could maybe design and build my own cups for, that had a metal band.. id love to make some figured walnut cups or something.. i want something thats going to be worth the time and effort to maintain and repair if necessary, the ones i have now the left speaker stopped working because the cable, getting twisted often finally took damage.. the cups were a pain in the rear to try to open up to maybe solder a new cable into, and on top of it the plastic of the band was already busted and was held together by the padding.. so i want something that isnt going to crack like that, and is easy to open up and work on so i can easily get into it and install my own 3.5mm plug for a detachable cable, or upgrade the drivers

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 30
  i personally dont care either way if headphones are open or closed.. im more concerned with comfort and durability.. in fact i did have an open pair of headphones before.. they were a turtle beach headset i used for console gaming but one thing i liked about them was that they didnt make my ears full "full" and constricted.. there was steady airflow in an out and i liked that

id love to find something though that i could maybe design and build my own cups for, that had a metal band.. id love to make some figured walnut cups or something.. i want something thats going to be worth the time and effort to maintain and repair if necessary, the ones i have now the left speaker stopped working because the cable, getting twisted often finally took damage.. the cups were a pain in the rear to try to open up to maybe solder a new cable into, and on top of it the plastic of the band was already busted and was held together by the padding.. so i want something that isnt going to crack like that, and is easy to open up and work on so i can easily get into it and install my own 3.5mm plug for a detachable cable, or upgrade the drivers

In this thread you can read a lot about Takstars Pro 80 (Closed) and Hi-2050 (Open)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-cyberx-qpad-thread/2595

I'm pretty sure you can also find a tutorial there about installing a 3.5mm plug for a detachable cable on them.
The stock cable is really solid anyway, it should last for years, decades.

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #9 of 30
im more concerned with finding a band, basically the chassy of the headphones to last forever, i have a big head that puts a lot of stress on most headphones leading to fatigue in the plastic until it snaps.. i have piles of headphones that have snapped either where the headband holds the cup or somewhere across the top of the band.. this is what i want to avoid most of all, i figure i can always upgrade drivers and make the mods i need later so long as structure of the headband and the arms holding the cup arent going to break

i like the design of these headphones below, they are inexpensive, but have the metal band over the top and what i like about this design is that the metal bands are fixed directly to the cup.. the strap over the top of the head is the part that adjusts to the individuals head.. these look like theyd be pretty strong, have a 10-30k range which is pretty broad, only a 32ohm impedance though, but the design of the chassy of the headset looks like i can easily make cups of any size and easily attach them for the size of drivers, and whichever drivers i want.. plus theyre only $30, theyre the superlux 681

however.. for only a small amount more i could get the superlux 668B which has a much higher rating, 56ohm impedance, detachable cable, probably an overall better headphone.. so i'm REALLY leaning on the 668Bs, and it seems they can use the some of the AKG K240's parts like the ear pads, maybe even drivers

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #10 of 30
  im more concerned with finding a band, basically the chassy of the headphones to last forever, i have a big head that puts a lot of stress on most headphones leading to fatigue in the plastic until it snaps.. i have piles of headphones that have snapped either where the headband holds the cup or somewhere across the top of the band.. this is what i want to avoid most of all, i figure i can always upgrade drivers and make the mods i need later so long as structure of the headband and the arms holding the cup arent going to break

i like the design of these headphones below, they are inexpensive, but have the metal band over the top and what i like about this design is that the metal bands are fixed directly to the cup.. the strap over the top of the head is the part that adjusts to the individuals head.. these look like theyd be pretty strong, have a 10-30k range which is pretty broad, only a 32ohm impedance though, but the design of the chassy of the headset looks like i can easily make cups of any size and easily attach them for the size of drivers, and whichever drivers i want.. plus theyre only $30, theyre the superlux 681

however.. for only a small amount more i could get the superlux 668B which has a much higher rating, 56ohm impedance, detachable cable, probably an overall better headphone.. so i'm REALLY leaning on the 668Bs, and it seems they can use the some of the AKG K240's parts like the ear pads, maybe even drivers

One is not necessarily better than the other.
-Higher impedance means nothing; 10Hz - 30KHz means nothing either.

HD681 is more on the neutralish side (slightly bright), while HD668B has a v-shaped sound signature: close to HD681 on the treble but has a 10dB bass boost around 80Hz.

So the right pick is down to preference.

Best Luck!

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #11 of 30
well, with whichever one, my plan is to eventually make hardwood (probably walnut) cups, replace the plastic pieces that the headband goes through with metal components i could fabricate myself from aluminum, and then replace the top strap with a piece of padded soft brown leather to match the wooden earcups.. and also upgrade the drivers too, to something i believe to sound better, something with a bit more quality

as for the sound, i dont like when my music sounds too tinny or bright

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #12 of 30
with the modifications i want to do, i think ill go with the cheaper 681.. for the price saved i could get the wood to make the new earcups, or even the parts to convert it to a removable cable

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #13 of 30
  well, with whichever one, my plan is to eventually make hardwood (probably walnut) cups, replace the plastic pieces that the headband goes through with metal components i could fabricate myself from aluminum, and then replace the top strap with a piece of padded soft brown leather to match the wooden earcups.. and also upgrade the drivers too, to something i believe to sound better, something with a bit more quality

as for the sound, i dont like when my music sounds too tinny or bright

You might prefer HD668B then sonically, but if you are going to mod them a lot, just pick the cheaper.

I made MDF cups for a pair of Takstar HD2000 some time ago. (Just for fun, you know...)

Best Luck!

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #14 of 30

You might prefer HD668B then sonically, but if you are going to mod them a lot, just pick the cheaper.

I made MDF cups for a pair of Takstar HD2000 some time ago. (Just for fun, you know...)

Best Luck!

+1 681 are very bright. But I think overall the Takstar are more easily moddable and once you stretch them out more comfortable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back