Headphones under $250
Feb 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ZedsDead

New Head-Fier
Hey all I've been scouring this website for some time now but I've just recently discovered the world of headphones beyond Best Buy and the like. I'm not so good with technical terms but I know my ears are more tuned than the average Beats owner. I've had the M50s for quite some time now and I'm looking for an upgrade or maybe just a replacement. Dont' get me wrong I love the M50s but they were my first step into nice headphones and I just want to know what else is out there.

Okay so I guess I should tell you guys about what I'm looking for.
Budget: ~$250
Music: EDM (House, Dubstep, D&B, etc.), Hip-Hop, Rock <- order of how much I listen to each, I also listen to movies through my headphones
For home use so: portability not an issue, isolation not an issue (Open or Closed)
Comfort: i thought it would be useful to mention that I have a rather small head so for me the M50s dont clamp that tight and are actually really comfortable for hours at a time

I should also mention that I am happy with the sound that the M50's produce but sometimes it does feel a little cramped on some busy tracks. Also I feel like it does seem a little light on the bass in some songs. Bass extension, however, is something I can NOT give up for more mid-bass.. the M50s do reach pretty low. The mids are just fine on my M50s to my ears, even though I've read several reviews that say they're somewhat recessed. The V shaped curve works really well with the music I like. To my ears the M50s have good clarity and treble extension. So in short, I'm looking for something with a bigger soundstage and better bass (quantity and sub-bass). I am planning on buying an amp so the 250 is just for headphones. As of right now im planning on waiting for the E17, but I am open to suggestions. If I left something out let me know.. I'm more than happy to answer questions.

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 7
Zeds dead <3
Good Dubstep producer.

Get the Denons. (like 270$ on amazon as i see.. you prolly can find it bit cheaper.. also doesn't extend the budget too much)
Sub bass is great -> good for dubstep.
It goes really low.. with the typical V-Shaped equalizer & volume you can just make it rumble on your head with really good clear sound.

Just look up comparisons:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/573607/audio-technica-ath-m50-vs-denon-d2000

I think topics like those tell the difference.
I am really satisfied with the Denons.. i think as a lover of the same music you will be too.

Just imagine.. my 5th neighbour who lived on top floor went down and told me that i should turn down the music because i blasted my z5500 too hard on bass.
(was the first kick to get high quality headphones)

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the quick reply and yes they are good. I'm seriously considering the D2000, especially after reading that review of how good their sub-bass extension is. Have you heard anything about the dt770? I'm thinking it might me more of a step sideways, but I've read that beyers are fantastic bass headphones. Or better yet, fantastic headphones in general.

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 7
Having never heard the D2000 Im gonna recommend its archnemesis [size=x-small]the PRO900. As for Beyers I love my DT880 and I think they are the best I've ever heard, the most comfortable, and have the best build quality. But unless you get a pro model you will need an amp.[/size]

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 7
I had the same tough decision..

I also took the Beyerdynamics 770 into my list.. as i also was seeking for bass.
People seem to mention the that the bass is better on the DT 770 but less controlled & less present than on the Denons.
Though the build quality is better on the Beyers.

On my Denons it's really present and seperated from the other frequencies.
With my U shaped eq it got the sound i do have on my z5500.. kinda close, really :)

Another point i do like is that i can listen to like every stuff on those.

My opinion on Beyers vs Denon

Beyers:
- Louder highs
- more recessed mids
- bigger bass but less controlled
- better build quality

Denons:
- More Clear highs but not that loud / attacking
- recessed mids bit not as much as on the 770
- less bass but more present & controlled
- worse build quality

There is the Basshead club with many bass based headphones.
Though i kinda think and noticed myself that bass is not the only thing that makes music great, really.

You just need a headphones that works great with the quantity of bass that you desire.
Maybe there are headphones around with weaker bass but just full and complete sounding.. which is more important.. for me atleast.
Don't get me wrong.. i think imma also a bass head but i wouldn't sacrifice everything for bass only.

Just get one from amazon try it.. and send it back if you don't like it. 
Did it with my Sony XB 1000s (tinsound.. bah) too.

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 7
After I heard almost every model of beats my M50s and several Sennheisers I know that I like my bass but I agree that it isn't the only thing that matters. Its the biggest reason I didnt buy the M50s on steroids.. PRO700MK2. Another factor for me between the dt770 and d2000 is that I've seen the dt770 go for less than the d2000. The dt770 fits my budget perfectly whereas the d2000 stretches it a bit unless i go used..

[size=small]As for Beyers I love my DT880 and I think they are the best I've ever heard, the most comfortable, and have the best build quality. But unless you get a pro model you will need an amp.[/size]

Do the premium versions amped sound better than the pros? I would probably get the 250 Ohms and not the 600 Ohms simply because I dont think I could afford an amp that would really provide enough juice...

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Do the premium versions amped sound better than the pros?

The latter have higher clamping force, and as a result somewhat more bass and are also said to have a more "closed" sound with less sound stage. In the case of the DT770, the different housings change the bass response as well. Also, the impedance choices are more restricted, with the exception of the DT770 Pro (which also has a 80 Ohm version), these are only available with 250 Ohm drivers.

Quote:
I would probably get the 250 Ohms and not the 600 Ohms simply because I dont think I could afford an amp that would really provide enough juice...

There are relatively cheap amplifiers that are powerful enough for the 600 Ohm versions, such as the popular FiiO E9 (~$100), or the O2 (~$150 pre-assembled). These sound slightly better than the 250 Ohm models, but are not available in the cheaper Pro edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back