Headphones under $100 that compete at mid-high/high end headphones.
Jun 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pichu

500+ Head-Fier
So, considering theyre are loads of people looking for cheaper phones to compete with the beats. I think Its a good idea to make a post featuring phones that are good alternatives, and that compete with higher end phones. So here is my list. Feel free to add on and say why. 

RHA SA950i  -  Pro : Shines with a DAC. Detachable Cable. Good for all sizes of heads.  uncolored Good highs/mids. Comfortable. Amazing at price. easy to port ,    Cons : Slightly muddy bass, but lows still incredibly good for price. Heavy ( opinion )

Sony MDRV6 - Pros : Good price. Mainstream, uncolored , good without extra source , good lows, punchy bass , relaxed clean mids and highs, lightweight but durable, easy to carry
                       Cons : Pads flake off and wear out sooner than expected ,  weaker soundstage

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 10
You can add the Parts Express Mini headphone to the list. I use mine with a WA22. It really seems to increase soundstage and add a little warmth to it's sound.
That headphone is worth 3x it's price tag. It does however sound a little muffled with it's stock pads.

I've modded mine to use HD-800 drivers. I stole them from my dad's pair that he dropped on the floor while doing the dishes.

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
You can add the Parts Express Mini headphone to the list. I use mine with a WA22. It really seems to increase soundstage and add a little warmth to it's sound.
That headphone is worth 3x it's price tag. It does however sound a little muffled with it's stock pads.

I've modded mine to use HD-800 drivers. I stole them from my dad's pair that he dropped on the floor while doing the dishes.

Did I read this correctly? Are you saying what I think you are saying?

EDIT: I read this: Your dad dropped a $1500 flagship on the floor while doing dishes. At which point, you stole them. You then removed the drivers and put them on a $2 headband? What?!?! If this is true, greatest post ever.

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 10
AKG K240 Studio/MKII:
Pros: Scales up very well, highly transparent, revealing, detailed, dynamic, wonderful midrange, natural sounding, fun, and engaging. Comfortable and lightweight as well. Competes with headphones such as the HD 600/650, Q701, DT 880/990, etc when properly driven.
Cons: Requires an amp and dac to shine. Power hungry, long-burn-in time, can be a little muddy in bass and can sound a bit congested when underamped, soundstage is only small to medium sized, can sound a bit bass-light if the pads don't seal on ur head right(bigger and thicker glasses may prevent a good seal for example) a bit weak in sub-bass, has a tad too much sibilance, and a bit finicky about the system it's hooked up too.

Jul 6, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Grado SR80i (buy used)
Koss KSC75
Yuin PK3

There is a lot of hype about the Monoprice full-size cans, and Superlux, but I can't personally attest to these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back