Headphones to use with Bottlehead Crack
Oct 5, 2016 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Lickumms

500+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering what headphones people recommends to use with the Crack?

Right now I'm using the hd650s and they work fantastically with the tube amp.

But I want to try out different types of high ohm headphones.

So if you have any recommendations let me know.

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 28
I also use my HD650 with my Crack.  I had some Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm, but I didn't really like the sound signature of those and sold them recently.  I also have HD800S, but I still just use my HD650 with the Crack primarily.

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 28
Ah, yeah it seems most people say just use the 650 with it. I do love the combination.

I have been thinking the same thing :D. I originally started with the HD600's and swapped to 650's before building the Crack Speedball. I now think I would've preferred the HD650's clarity with the colored tube amp.

I am hoping others chime in. I am interested in larger sound stage options for gaming to pair with this AMP.

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 28
  I have been thinking the same thing :D. I originally started with the HD600's and swapped to 650's before building the Crack Speedball. I now think I would've preferred the HD650's clarity with the colored tube amp.

I am hoping others chime in. I am interested in larger sound stage options for gaming to pair with this AMP.

Not yet released, but the new offerings from ZMF may be worth a look...the Eikon and Atticus.  They are both 300 ohm

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 28
Changing out the stock RCA 6080 with a Tung Sol 5998 and a Telefunken 12au7 my HD 700's aren't bad at all. The 800's would be better for sure but the soundstage on the 700's is not too bad. The bass is still a bit much but not that bad . Acoustic music is outstanding . Will be getting some higher impedance headphones on the future to try out as I think there will be some at a upcoming meet. I'll update if anything shows up.

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 28
Right now I'm using a SYLVANIA 6SN7GT BAD BOY for the input and a 7236 Sylvania for the power tube. It is a great combination. The 7236 increases the Soundstage, actually gives the 650 decent Soundstage, and the bad boy is one of the smoothest tubes I have ever used. Though it does require an adapter to use it.

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 28
Right now I'm using a SYLVANIA 6SN7GT BAD BOY for the input and a 7236 Sylvania for the power tube. It is a great combination. The 7236 increases the Soundstage, actually gives the 650 decent Soundstage, and the bad boy is one of the smoothest tubes I have ever used. Though it does require an adapter to use it.
Don't think I can push too more with the 700's. Will be thinking of different cans soon but not right now as I just purchased a Ampsandsound Kenzie for the tube goodness with my low z cans.

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #10 of 28
I'm interested in tube rolling but really don't know where to buy. Is rolling the dice on ebay the only decently inexpensive option?
There are many places to buy online after work or if I get time I'll send some links.

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #12 of 28
+1 on them. eBay isn't to bad either.

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #13 of 28
There are a few places to buy online (including the for sale forum here) although I end up buying most of my stuff from ebay just because of the selection.  Just do the usual due diligence.  Check the reputation of sellers.  If you have an issue, most are willing to work with you.  You do need to know a little about what you are buying.  I was buying some Bendix 6080WB for a really good price but then when I received them, they didn't match the photos and weren't 6080WB (were 6080WA falsely labeled as WB).  Caveat emptor like anything else.

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #14 of 28
For the most part I get my tubes off of eBay since you get protected by eBay and paypal.

The only time I go to tube sites is if I'm going to try a rather expensive tube. Also check the sites guarantee and warranty. Incase you get a dead or noisy tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back