Headphones to Replace HD 555
Aug 10, 2008 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Vergex2

100+ Head-Fier
My Sennheiser HD 555 have recently been physically damaged beyond repair [the gold plated connectors are bent out of shape, butchering the fidelity of these once excellent headphones]

I need to replace these with a decent pair of stereo headphones or surround sound headset [where the surround sound is not simply a gimmick]

I have a price range of ~$150-200

* I live in Canada, and there is slight inflation for certain products, and more elusive headphones are not an option.

Keep in mind I already have:

Sound Card: Auzentech X-Fi Prelude
Mic: Zalman ZM-Mic 1

* I do not have an external amp, but am willing to buy one if required as long as it doesn't go too far over budget.

I use my headphones at home only, in place of speakers. I mainly use it for music and gaming. [namely FPS - positional audio is important] I also occasionally watch videos, but the priority is music > gaming > movies. Noise canceling is optional [I don't mind either way, but sound quality is paramount]

Thanks in advance.

Aug 10, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 15
what about Audio Technica AD700, this cans have a great sound for all rounder, i have this one..i usually use this cans to listening music, playing games or watch movies..

Aug 10, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 15
Audio Technica A or AD700 (huge circum), Denon D1001 (supra), Grados...

Wouldn't mess with noise cancelling phones. They tend to be low-end and there's extra weight from having batteries on your head in addition to the noise and such it can *introduce*...better to just do it in a closed set if you need it at home. It doesn't work well with noise sources that aren't consistent anyway.

I'm kinda buzzed on the Sony v6 phones with velour replacement pads at the moment. They don't sound as good as some, but damn it's comfy. Not many non-pleather phones in the lower price brackets. You can get better SQ for $200, though. The ATH-AD700s being one.

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Technica A or AD700 (huge circum), Denon D1001 (supra), Grados...

Wouldn't mess with noise cancelling phones. They tend to be low-end and there's extra weight from having batteries on your head in addition to the noise and such it can *introduce*...better to just do it in a closed set if you need it at home. It doesn't work well with noise sources that aren't consistent anyway.

I'm kinda buzzed on the Sony v6 phones with velour replacement pads at the moment. They don't sound as good as some, but damn it's comfy. Not many non-pleather phones in the lower price brackets. You can get better SQ for $200, though. The ATH-AD700s being one.

Thanks for the info, I'll also look at the AD 700s

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what type of music do you listen to?

I personally preferred A700 over AD700 in gaming

Sorry for not being specific, I actually listen to absolutely everything from both extremes [a bit of classical all the way up to death metal and everything in between, including electronica, various forms of hip-hop, pop, and almost all forms of rock etc. etc.], and both bass, and treble are equally important - as is a wide frequency response.

I need a pair of headphones that are noticeably better than the HD 555 in all categories, and I would appreciate it if anyone with experience in both compare the A(D) 700s to the HD 555s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKazador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NCIX.com has the M-Audio Q40 for $167.99

I would prefer if the frequency response was slightly better, if possible.

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 15
ahh in that case, AD700 for all-rounder.
IT's been a long time since I've heard HD555, but I remember not liking them too much
frown.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahh in that case, AD700 for all-rounder.
IT's been a long time since I've heard HD555, but I remember not liking them too much
frown.gif

Ah, but would you recommend the AD 700 or A 700 [for music, most importantly, which I play at an above average but not very loud volume]

I heard that the AD 700 sounded more natural [due to open design], and I play my music loud enough to cancel everything out all background anyway.

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vergex2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, but would you recommend the AD 700 or A 700 [for music, most importantly, which I play at an above average but not very loud volume]

I heard that the A 700 sounded more natural, and I play my music loud enough to cancel everything out all background anyway.

I felt that AD700 sounded more natural and neutral than A700. A700 and A900 had a slight dip in midrange which I didn't like for some music.

A700, though, are wonderful if you're looking for gaming headphones mostly.

AD700 is a better all-rounder, but to some people, it might be be lacking bass.

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #10 of 15
Yes, the AD700's are amazing. IMO they beat my HD580's so they will certainly be better than your HD555's
biggrin.gif

Plus they're uber comfy.

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #11 of 15
So does the ad700 beat out the 555's?

I have the ah-d1001k right now and am thinking of getting the ad700 because I want some open cans too. Do you think it's a good choice or go for 555's? They're essentially the same price from newegg.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #13 of 15
another vote for AD700's
i use them for exactly what the Op does, music, some movies and a whole lot of FPS games.

bass may be a tiny bit light for some people, but just nice for me.
cant go wrong really unless u go for the ad900s

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

cant go wrong really unless u go for the ad900s

I think you mean, "Can't go wrong especially if you go for the ad900s"

Aug 11, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #15 of 15
hmm, did you like the sound of the 555?

If so, get a small home amp and a pair of 580s....thats what i would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back