Headphones to help me with mixdowns
Mar 22, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by soke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info! i'll be ordering one for sure then, that's what i am looking for from an amp.

My sr225i just arrived, and with no burn-in, they sound HUGE! I'm really excited about that sound! No amp, straight into my saffire pro's built-in headamp! The bass is pretty thumping too, i thought that it woul be lacking, but with some minimal tunes, it's SO there! I listened to some Kyuss too (stoner rock) and seemed kinda muddy, but i guess that's kyuss' sound.

I really wonder what the bass will be like with the 880 and the gilmore!

One more really noobish question:
How do i connect my amp? Out of saffire's amp or would that mess things up?
confused.gif

Also, if you got some feedback about driving the 880 600ohm with the gilmore, it'd be great
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again everyone!

I have also asked about the Beyer 880/600 with the GLite and have been told the GLite should drive them well. As a matter of fact, I'm looking to possibly get those headphones to see what the fuss is all about and compare them to my AKG. Well, either that or the HE-5... But that's a different topic. LoL

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #17 of 28
I was also looking out for that HE-5 but i'm just beeing greedy. I'll stick with the 880 and the gilmore - That should keep me happy for quite a long time (i hope).

I will write a review as soon as i get and properly burn in the 880 with the gilmore
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #18 of 28
..I havent made the purchase still, as i was looking if i could get a cheaper amp (ok, i ll be honest! I want some used darths too!)

Sorry for being a pain and asking questions all the time, but could you recommend any cheaper amp than the gilmore lite? I know it's price is fair and is a really good and neutral amp (that's what i m looking for) but i also saw the Audio-GD Fun (upgraded Compass) which has a DAC too -and costs almost half the money!
The C2C is also priced at 300ish and the little dot mkV gets some quite nice revies (at 279$).

Would any of these be able to drive 880s 600? Would i be missing a lot in terms of SQ?

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #19 of 28
The Gilmore Lite may not be the cheapest SS amp around but when you take a look at what's in it, you begin to realize just how great a deal it is for the money. If you can swing it, get it, otherwise the only cheaper options I'd take a look at are DIY. If you're going for imaging accuracy, cheap and cheerful just isn't going to do.

And speaking of imaging accuracy - here I don't think you should go with headphones period. It's not their strong suit and most just don't image accurately enough, and the ones that do will not be cheap. Now, I'm not a recording professional, and if you're having luck with the SR225 then ignore this, but in your shoes I'd keep going down the monitor road instead. IME to get proper imaging with a headphone you need something at the level of the Omega 2, with a proper amp besides, and when you're talking about this kind of money you might as well go with better monitors + room treatments.

But, on the plus side not much will beat headphones for inner detail or speed, at least not at the same price.

Also, before you plonk down on better headphones + amp, I'd take a look at the Stax thread in the high-end forum. Electrostatics are hard to get into if you already have a dynamic rig since you'll need another, specialized electrostatic amp, but when you're buying from scratch it doesn't really matter. Not much will beat 'stats for inner detail, tonal accuracy, and speed. A Stax 2050 system or SR-Lambda/Lambda Pro with a SRM-1 Mk2 amp would be a great place to start, or maybe the SR-X MkIII/MkIII Pro - that is if you're hell-bent on headphones in the first place.

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #20 of 28
Damn.. When i thought i had it figured out, a Stax comes in!
Nice tips Catscratch (though they kinda hurt!)

I ve been digging out posts about the stax and done some googling also. At around 500 euros, the 2050 set is just on budget! The thing is i'm reading a lot about their lack of bass and since i ll be using them to compensate for my monitors' lack of bass, maybe they re not really made for "heavy" electronic (techno, dubstep).

Has anyone tried the 2050 (or another combination of stax hp and amp) with that kind of music? If their clarity and detail is accompanied by a faithful bass presentation, i would be eager to buy them instead of the 880/600 and SS amp combo!

edit: Considering monitors and room treatment, i really think that 500-600 would just be a waste. If i upgraded my tascams (vl-a5), the minimum i could go for to see some change would be an Adam a7 + sub8 set at around 1300e. Add another 300-400 maybe for treatment.. SO out of budget!

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

edit: Considering monitors and room treatment, i really think that 500-600 would just be a waste. If i upgraded my tascams (vl-a5), the minimum i could go for to see some change would be an Adam a7 + sub8 set at around 1300e. Add another 300-400 maybe for treatment.. SO out of budget!

I'm in the same boat using relatively inexpensive monitors in a poorly treated room. Headphones seem to be the only way to go if you're on a budget. Did you read the long thread on the LD mkV? makes for interesting reading: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...lifier-289765/ I haven't heard any real high end set ups, but it's a big improvement over the amp in the emu 0404.

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #22 of 28
Mix down on a budget? i would seriously consider a software HRTF, like Panorama 5 or else with a proper studio monitor closed headphone...
I tried Panorama 5 with my SHR 840 and I would not be scare to use this combo for a budget mixing setup.
I'm not experienced in mixing however this is the closest I have been to a speaker like experience on a budget.
Cheers

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Has anyone tried the 2050 (or another combination of stax hp and amp) with that kind of music? If their clarity and detail is accompanied by a faithful bass presentation, i would be eager to buy them instead of the 880/600 and SS amp combo!

It depends on what you mean by "faithful." They're not especially bass-light; there will be enough extension and a lot of bass detail, but if you're looking to approximate the sound of a club system in your rig, they aren't going to do it, at least not without a lot of EQ. I'd say check out your local dealer and see if you can arrange an audition.

The other new 'stat option is the 005a system, these will do serious bass and sound really good in general, but they aren't the most comfortable headphones around for long listening sessions. Their performance is also fit-dependent like an IEM, and you should probably audition these too if you get the chance, at the very least to test the fit for yourself.

Buy used or from someplace with a good return policy. Otherwise go with the Gilmore Lite and dynamic of your choice.

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #24 of 28
lejaz, that's the review i read that actually got me into mkv
smily_headphones1.gif

Another thing i am considering was selling my saffire pro 24 and buying saffire pro 24 DSP. With a few extra $ i could have that VRM thing which emulates (decenly from what i read) various expensive monitors!

Anyway, i would still like to know if the stax 2050 set, would be up for giving a good bass presentation for me. If not, i 'll stick to the plan and buy the 880s with gilmore lite or ld mkv (if i manage to find someone clearly saying it can drive 600ohm cans well!)

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #25 of 28
Hmm.. seems there is a stax dealer here in Greece. I ll be passing by to check these out! I hope he 'll be having stock of the 2050 and the 005a you mentioned.

Thanks everybody!

I would really appreciate it though if someone saw this post and commented about the LD MKV and 880/600 synergy (backup solution
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #26 of 28
Good stuff, listening for yourself is the best way to go. Let us know what you think afterwards. Also, keep in mind that the 003 headphones that are part of the 005a system can be worn in a few different ways, with the headband and without, and there are also two different size eartips for them. I'm going into detail because, once again, performance on these is VERY fit dependent and you'll need to take your time and mess around. If you get it right they really are one of my favorite headphones, but with the wrong fit they can sound pretty congested and can lack highs/bass.

Also while you're there, check out the 404LE/SRM600 rig if they have one, and 4070 or Omega 2 on the 727, or whatever high-end amp they have. You know, just to see what it's like
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #27 of 28
Definitely gonna check these out (the high end ones are gonna give me wet dreams, i can tell!).

I ll be going there Monday, so i 'll be deciding then -maybe i ll just pick them up and come back home
smily_headphones1.gif

ps> Adam A7X just launched.... Wow. Seems really promising.. (maybe i could sell my car and buy all of these for my home studio. lol)

Have a nice afternoon y all

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

lejaz, that's the review i read that actually got me into mkv
smily_headphones1.gif

Another thing i am considering was selling my saffire pro 24 and buying saffire pro 24 DSP. With a few extra $ i could have that VRM thing which emulates (decenly from what i read) various expensive monitors!

Anyway, i would still like to know if the stax 2050 set, would be up for giving a good bass presentation for me. If not, i 'll stick to the plan and buy the 880s with gilmore lite or ld mkv (if i manage to find someone clearly saying it can drive 600ohm cans well!)

Maybe start a thread on the full size amp forum about that combination. I got it on a recommendation from a forum member who also uses the k240DF and raved about that combination. The DF is 600ohms BTW. Oh yeah, that saffire pro DSP sounds interesting...damn, I better get away from this place before I wind up buying more gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back