Headphones to help me with mixdowns
Mar 20, 2010 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

soke

100+ Head-Fier
Hello headFi

I have been reading you for a month or so, and finally decided to register!
I am 25 yrs. old and into music production. I mainly produce electronic music; techno and minimal stuff, but also greatly enjoy making experimental electronica (i wouldn't dare call it avant-garde, though i really admire the works of artists from Xenakis and Christou to Fransisco Lopez).

I was initially looking for upgrading my Tascam VL-A5 monitors. I thought about getting some A7s and their sub but then i 'd have to treat my room and that would be SO out of budget for me.
So, i thought i could buy a set of decent headphones which would help me for mixdown and panning/fx/compression decisions. Bass is another huge factor, cuz right now i have practically NO image of what's going on at my lower frequencies (the tascams although very good for their price, really lack bottom end).

When i accidentally bumped into HeadFi, a new world opened before my eyes. I had never thought there would be so many options regarding cans, amps and dacs! I have been reading countless threads and googling for prices and reviews..
And now am kinda confused.

So, sorry for the large intro, I'll get right into subject:
I currently have a PC and a macbook pro which i ll be using as source, with the Saffire Pro 24 audio interface (with a decent built-in headphone amp i'd say).
I just bought a pair of Grados, the sr225i, for listening purposes mostly. Although i produce electronic music, i am also a fan of kraut rock, sludge but some indie too.

I am looking for a headphone (maybe an amp too?) to use as a mixing aid. I want it to have tight and refined bass, extend low and a decent soundstage would be great to help me with panning. It should also be quite fast, as i often make fast basslines which i try to balance with my kicks (Techno and DnB are quite intense sounding).

I ve got 400-500e to spend, both for headphones and amp (if needed!).
I was considering the DT48e for its flatness and accuracy (don't really care if its not that musical!) but don't know if its bass would be sufficient.
The DT770 Pro 80 seems also appealing, but from what i read, could its bass be an overkill for mixing purposes?
Finally, the Ultrasone Pro 750. I ve read so many different opinions about these, that i really cant tell anymore!

Is there anyone that could help me out clarify what would help more? I could buy a combination of these, or one of them and an amp (though i don't know if an extra amp would mess with Saffire's amp..Also dont know what amp! I think these little dots are quite popular though)
I am new to the headphone world and find all this information almost overwhelming.. My wallet is rather annoyed as well, as its instinct tells it it will suffer for a long time from this!

ps> 2 more options i ve been drooling over (although i can tell that they arent really neutral headphones) are the Hifiman HE-5 with their "dedicated" amp combo and the Darths (v4). I know that at some point, i ll be coming back for them! But lets stick to the monitoring thing for now...
smily_headphones1.gif

ps2> A pair of Zu Druids would..... Oh, i may as well just sell my house!!! Damn you HeadFi
frown.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 28
..anyone?
confused.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 28
Since you're looking at Beyers, why not consider the 150 or 250 as well?

FWIR, the DT150 has a sound signature you'd like (lots of bass, good soundstage, accurate but musical).

Do some more reading about them, but those and an entry-level amp will come in under your price limit. And they'd never break.

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 28
Thanks for the asnwers.. I think the dt150 could be what i'm looking for. The flatness of a dt48e with more bass presence.

Ro-amp, pretty nice article. I have read a similar one at sound on sound (named "mixing on headphones") which was quite enlightening too. Google that up if you re interested in the field!
I don't think the audio technica could be as good as that dt150.

So, what amp would you recommend for the dt150? A little dot i+ or a mkv maybe? Or would the saffire be enough?

I don't know if i'm acting like a consume-victim (pretty much enjoying it though!
smily_headphones1.gif
) but maybe i should buy an ultrasone pro 750 or a dt770 too, to compliment the dt150?
Would then, the same amp be good for both of them?

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 28
I would plug them into what you have now, get a feel for whether you're getting the juice you want from them, then think about amps after you've settled into the phones.

By then you might be able to tweak just a bit too (if you want a bit more warmth or precision, for instance).

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 28
Guess you re right.

What are the tweaking options after i buy them? I like the idea of buying them and then if i do like their signature, upgrade with an amp or mod them.

Do you own these? What amp you think suits them best?
I was reading about the Little Dot MK V which seemed pretty interesting. Seems like it's gonna be there if i want to buy a k701/2 or hd6x0 in the future! (or even a pair of 770/990s)
Anybody care to comment on this?

Those grados could benefit from it too, as i was reading that people have it driving 32ohms cans as well. Pretty good allrounder then?

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by soke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello headFi

I have been reading you for a month or so, and finally decided to register!
I am 25 yrs. old and into music production. I mainly produce electronic music; techno and minimal stuff, but also greatly enjoy making experimental electronica (i wouldn't dare call it avant-garde, though i really admire the works of artists from Xenakis and Christou to Fransisco Lopez).

I was initially looking for upgrading my Tascam VL-A5 monitors. I thought about getting some A7s and their sub but then i 'd have to treat my room and that would be SO out of budget for me.
So, i thought i could buy a set of decent headphones which would help me for mixdown and panning/fx/compression decisions. Bass is another huge factor, cuz right now i have practically NO image of what's going on at my lower frequencies (the tascams although very good for their price, really lack bottom end).

When i accidentally bumped into HeadFi, a new world opened before my eyes. I had never thought there would be so many options regarding cans, amps and dacs! I have been reading countless threads and googling for prices and reviews..
And now am kinda confused.

So, sorry for the large intro, I'll get right into subject:
I currently have a PC and a macbook pro which i ll be using as source, with the Saffire Pro 24 audio interface (with a decent built-in headphone amp i'd say).
I just bought a pair of Grados, the sr225i, for listening purposes mostly. Although i produce electronic music, i am also a fan of kraut rock, sludge but some indie too.

I am looking for a headphone (maybe an amp too?) to use as a mixing aid. I want it to have tight and refined bass, extend low and a decent soundstage would be great to help me with panning. It should also be quite fast, as i often make fast basslines which i try to balance with my kicks (Techno and DnB are quite intense sounding).

I ve got 400-500e to spend, both for headphones and amp (if needed!).
I was considering the DT48e for its flatness and accuracy (don't really care if its not that musical!) but don't know if its bass would be sufficient.
The DT770 Pro 80 seems also appealing, but from what i read, could its bass be an overkill for mixing purposes?
Finally, the Ultrasone Pro 750. I ve read so many different opinions about these, that i really cant tell anymore!

Is there anyone that could help me out clarify what would help more? I could buy a combination of these, or one of them and an amp (though i don't know if an extra amp would mess with Saffire's amp..Also dont know what amp! I think these little dots are quite popular though)
I am new to the headphone world and find all this information almost overwhelming.. My wallet is rather annoyed as well, as its instinct tells it it will suffer for a long time from this!

ps> 2 more options i ve been drooling over (although i can tell that they arent really neutral headphones) are the Hifiman HE-5 with their "dedicated" amp combo and the Darths (v4). I know that at some point, i ll be coming back for them! But lets stick to the monitoring thing for now...
smily_headphones1.gif

ps2> A pair of Zu Druids would..... Oh, i may as well just sell my house!!! Damn you HeadFi
frown.gif

The DR48 would be better for monitoring the mix.. The new models do have more bass, & bass extention.. But for mixing, open phones like the 701/2 would be more suitable in most cases.

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 28
So, the dt48e and the dt150 are my main options. They both seem really close to what i need.. Thanks!

I dont know if i should ask this in a new thread, but what amp do you think would go along with these 2 headphones? Is there any one you 'd recommend that would also be able to drive any of these 3 headphones : DT990, 650 k701/2?
I would like to get one of these in the future, but wouldnt want to buy a second amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

So, the dt48e and the dt150 are my main options. They both seem really close to what i need.. Thanks!

I dont know if i should ask this in a new thread, but what amp do you think would go along with these 2 headphones? Is there any one you 'd recommend that would also be able to drive any of these 3 headphones : DT990, 650 k701/2?
I would like to get one of these in the future, but wouldnt want to buy a second amp
smily_headphones1.gif

The DT48 and DT150 are pretty different. How about the DT880? It would be a bit like ahybrid of both, unless closed is necesary. What is your amp budget? GD has some nice offerings.. The Canamp. Will the amp be used for studio work? If so, the Gilmore lite/GP amp and especially the auditor would fit the bill. All 3 are neutral, transparent, and detailed.

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #12 of 28
That comment about the 880 resembling a hybrid of the dt48e and the dt150 has pushed me to its side!
I 'll be ordering it tomorrow, along with the gilmore lite
smily_headphones1.gif

Should i look for an omh specific version? Or sth like the 2005 edition?

ps> i could find anything named GP nor auditor, just a "gilmore lite". That's the one you re referring to, right?
http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/lite/index.htm

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #13 of 28
I ve been reading about the 880, seems like the 600ohm version is the most appreciated here.. Would its difference justify it's price? i could order it from moon audio, i saw they got some stock!

I found the other amps you suggested too, seems they are over my budget though. The gilmore lite would be the only one i could buy. Would it work better with the 250ohm version maybe? If not, i ll buy it along with the 880 600
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for everything!

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

That comment about the 880 resembling a hybrid of the dt48e and the dt150 has pushed me to its side!
I 'll be ordering it tomorrow, along with the gilmore lite
smily_headphones1.gif

Should i look for an omh specific version? Or sth like the 2005 edition?

ps> i could find anything named GP nor auditor, just a "gilmore lite". That's the one you re referring to, right?
HeadAmp - Audio Electronics (Gilmore Lite Headphone Amp)

Yes, that's the one. While I can't comment about the others I will say the Gilmore Lite is a very detailed amp and has driven even my most stubborn headphones. It's not a warm amp but has tons of space and depth for the music. Especially with my 701/2 headphones I can hear everything. Including the production. The amp is the most revealing I've heard.

Don't believe the 3 weeks time it takes. Justin is a bit optimistic with that estimate. It took 8 for mine to get built. The results were worth it in the end. It's an excellent amp. You can read my review if you want to know a little more about it.

Peace,

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #15 of 28
Thanks for the info! i'll be ordering one for sure then, that's what i am looking for from an amp.

My sr225i just arrived, and with no burn-in, they sound HUGE! I'm really excited about that sound! No amp, straight into my saffire pro's built-in headamp! The bass is pretty thumping too, i thought that it woul be lacking, but with some minimal tunes, it's SO there! I listened to some Kyuss too (stoner rock) and seemed kinda muddy, but i guess that's kyuss' sound.

I really wonder what the bass will be like with the 880 and the gilmore!

One more really noobish question:
How do i connect my amp? Out of saffire's amp or would that mess things up?
confused.gif

Also, if you got some feedback about driving the 880 600ohm with the gilmore, it'd be great
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back