Headphones to go with Cowon D2+
May 2, 2010 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

fatmarley

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

This is my first post on here. I was heavily into home hifi, but constant nagging from the girlfriend has made me sell all my gear (Everything for sale - pink fish media) (I've still got some for sale if you're interested?)

I was thinking about getting the Cowon D2+ and a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1-II headphones. I find the in-ear type very uncomfortable so would rather stick with the over ear type (unless someone knows of some that won't irritate me)

I already own some Sennheiser HD650's and a moddified Rega ear headphone amp, but I want something that I can walk around the house in (I would use it outside).

Should I go for this or has anyone got any better ideas?

May 2, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 22
You can try ESW10 or ES10 and they are very good for portable use(sound better than Senn).

May 2, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 22
For comfortable in ears, look at customs. Livewires are held in high regard here and are cheap, but with (very) slow shipping times. If you don't mind spending around $400-500, ultimate ears and JH audio's baseline customs are good too.

Why the D2+ specifically? Now that the new J3 is out, it's older model the S9 should be a bit cheaper.

For portables, the ATH ES7/ESW9/ESW10 are all really nice phones. You're paying for the looks too a bit IMO, but damn do they look pretty.

May 2, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 22
you could always keep the hi-fi and sell your girl friend for a change.... =)

just kidding... seems like a classic case of shes holding the baton in the house though

May 2, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 22
there seems to be a rash of portable / closed can inquiries this past week or so.
seems i've read them all, as i've been looking myself. get ready for these recommendations:
1. ultrasone. pro 750, etc.
2. audio technica m50
3. fischer fa-004
4. who knows? maybe throw in a akg k181dj
5. the esw9 has already been mentioned.
6. IEMS, even when you specify no IEMS, because that's the head-fi way
wink.gif

May 3, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there seems to be a rash of portable / closed can inquiries this past week or so.
seems i've read them all, as i've been looking myself. get ready for these recommendations:
1. ultrasone. pro 750, etc.
2. audio technica m50
3. fischer fa-004
4. who knows? maybe throw in a akg k181dj
5. the esw9 has already been mentioned.
6. IEMS, even when you specify no IEMS, because that's the head-fi way
wink.gif

No offense to you or anyone else, but for most common folk the first two are far from portable. They are big and bulky and would be quite heavy for most people. He is better of going with the EsX series or the akg's

May 3, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 22
I used to own a D2 and the only thing I'd suggest is going something with a highish impedance. 32ohm + is good. It prevents the bass from rolling off on the D2 (a side effect of having such a powerful little amp in it!)

May 3, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense to you or anyone else, but for most common folk the first two are far from portable. They are big and bulky and would be quite heavy for most people. He is better of going with the EsX series or the akg's

none taken.
wink.gif

May 3, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to own a D2 and the only thing I'd suggest is going something with a highish impedance. 32ohm + is good. It prevents the bass from rolling off on the D2 (a side effect of having such a powerful little amp in it!)

Bass won't roll off on a powerful amp, only a weak one. But yes, you have the luxury of getting higher impedance phones, because the D2 is able to drive them without problems.

May 3, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try ESW10 or ES10 and they are very good for portable use(sound better than Senn).

The ESW10 look really nice, but are a bit expensive for me. I couldn't find the ES10 in the UK.

In my first post I should have said "I wont be using them outside the house"

May 3, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass won't roll off on a powerful amp, only a weak one. But yes, you have the luxury of getting higher impedance phones, because the D2 is able to drive them without problems.

I agree with robjrock on this. In the case of the D2 bass rolloff does indeed occur with lower impedance phones. Small impedance differences are not noticeable but that doesn't change the facts.

fr.png

Credit to dfkt@abi for the graph

May 3, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmarley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ESW10 look really nice, but are a bit expensive for me. I couldn't find the ES10 in the UK.

In my first post I should have said "I wont be using them outside the house"

you won't find the ES10 in the UK at the moment. but your can import it from Japan for around 250 £ + possible custom taxes.

May 3, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For comfortable in ears, look at customs. Livewires are held in high regard here and are cheap, but with (very) slow shipping times. If you don't mind spending around $400-500, ultimate ears and JH audio's baseline customs are good too.

Why the D2+ specifically? Now that the new J3 is out, it's older model the S9 should be a bit cheaper.

For portables, the ATH ES7/ESW9/ESW10 are all really nice phones. You're paying for the looks too a bit IMO, but damn do they look pretty.

I chose the D2+ because it has a bit more power than the S9 and has expandable memory. I will be ripping my CD's to Flac because I don't want to lose any sound quality.

I don't want to spend any more than £400 on Headphones/MP3 player.

Has the J3 got expandable memory? Maybe i'd be better off with the J3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back