Headphones that works one day and doesn´t work another?
Mar 10, 2009 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

oqvist

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone experience something similar? I have a set of AKG K701s which for some days don´t work sound thin and all... Others like today they just sounds good? I never know what I will hear when I put them on and I have had them for quite some time now.

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone experience something similar? I have a set of AKG K701s which for some days don´t work sound thin and all... Others like today they just sounds good? I never know what I will hear when I put them on and I have had them for quite some time now.

When it's sounds good, just keep them on, and never take them off...
k701smile.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Keep track of where your ears are within the pads, if you aren't already. Generally speaking (about headphones), if you have your ears near the back pads (near the back of your head), the soundstage will be wider and the overall sound will be darker than with your ears near the front.

If you have been keeping the pads in the same places, then the changes are most likely due to burn-in (assuming it is real) and/or the differences are in your mind/you are noticing and paying attention to different things.

edited to add: It is also possible that your ears are changing due to things like earwax. If my ears are not in good shape, no headphones sound good to me.

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a loose connection to me. Or is this a subjective thing? I can't tell.

Sounds like the OP is talking how one day he likes the K701, and other days, he doesn't.

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 19
I don't know. I think barometric pressure, humidity, temperature things like that can affect our gear. I experience the same thing sometime with all my gear, ie speakers, turnatbles, headphones...also, your amp and source being warmed up for a bit can make a difference IME.

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 19
Its ear position, partly mood, and for some reason music sounds better to me at night. Is that also the case here? Another thing which is targeted specifically about the k701s... If the music doesnt hit their anomalies then they will sound good but if you have music with frequencies enhancing the k701s flaws then they will sound annoying.

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 19
Definitely a bad connection somewhere. My first guess would be the jack you are plugging them into. If the plug does not seat properly, the groung and signals can short. You'll still get sound but it will seem very echo'y as if your in a tunnel.Probably not in the Headphones or movement would set it off. Next , maybe in the connections from the source to the amp. Try plugging your headphones into a different source that you don't normally use and see what happens

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 19
On SAME or DIFFERENT songs/genres? Some cans sound better on particular music types. Except maybe when you get up to the most expensive Dynamic and Electrostatic, then more likely one fits all, but for the most part, I think that is why we buy so MANY different cans is because some sound better with particular genres than others.
Now if you're talking about the SAME songs, well then I'd suspect loose solder or cable?

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #12 of 19
There have been a couple of occasions when I put on my DT770 '05s and they just sounded really harsh and, well, weird. To the point where I have to question if it's my ears or something in my setup. Generally it's in louder environments, though, so it's possible that I just don't like the sound of them when the volume is higher than usual. It's a rare occurrence, though.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 19
I swear my AD700s are grainier some days and then grain..less the next. I do agree that the position of the phones affects sound quality. Yeah. Maybe that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back