Headphones That Sound More Open & Transparent Than Harbeth SHL5
May 12, 2012 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ryder78

100+ Head-Fier
I will be auditioning some headphones soon and have come up with a list after going through countless of threads on the archives here. Nevertheless, I would appreciate if folks who have experience with Harbeth speakers could advise on headphone models that will sound more open, forward, transparent and detailed than the SHL5. Headphones capable of revealing the transients in rock, pop and dynamic music and deliver the raw plucking energy of acoustic (and electric) guitars which sound slightly muffled with the Harbeths. 

The headphones that I will be auditioning are as follows:-

1) Beyerdynamic T1 (top choice - hopefully I will like this)
2) Beyerdynamic DT880/600
3) Sennheiser HD800
4) Audeze LCD2
5) Shure SRH1440 and 1840
6) Grado (least likely to be considered as the cups don't fully cover the whole ear but sit on it instead, though a friend urged me to listen to this since he liked the Grado sound)

If some of the headphones above do not meet my criteria, please advise and I will leave them out from the listening session. Similarly, please let me know if there is one(or two) that deserves some serious attention and I will spend more time with it during the audition.

Don't get me wrong with my criticism on the Harbeth loudspeakers. I love the sound of the SHL5s which sound great with most genres of music. They shine with vocals and easy listening types of music with their warm, organic and lush presentation. Other warm speakers such as Sonus Fabers(Cremona and lower range models) sound less open with lower levels of detail and resolution when compared to the Harbeth. I am looking for a pair of headphones to complement the Harbeths in the areas where they don't do too well.

Any thoughts and advice appreciated.  

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 3
You might also audition the Audeze LCD-3 and the ATH-W3000ANV.  Each of these headphones has their pros and cons (as per what you're asking for), but it's really going to depend on your headphone choice along with your amp/dac combo to get the precise sound you're after.  It's a quest that can make this game all the more fun, and/or maddening, depending upon the stance you take and how much you're tied into the particular sound of the SHL5s.

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 3
do look into the Alexandro Ms-Pro..
i avoided grado for a lonnnnng time, but got over the sponge issue once i heard this superbly clear n lively can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back