Headphones that sound like Sennheiser HE90 Orpheus?
Nov 12, 2020 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

jenkinsontherun

100+ Head-Fier
I tried to find the HE90 thread, but to my surprise, there isn't a dedicated thread.

While I don't intend this thread to be the HE90 thread (see title), it may bring up discussions about its sound from a relative standpoint.

All in all, I am looking for your opinion on headphones that sound like HE90. Obviously, it's very hard to find an opinion as not many people have heard this headphone. But at the same time, people who've heard this headphone will most likely have heard a lot of headphones, and so they may provide opinions for headphones that compare to the HE90.

It should be noted that all-round likeness is favored over just one aspect. What I am looking for is the "mini-he90" experience, not "he90 bass" experience.

Thanks!

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 85
Every other headphone that I've tried sounds very different to the HE90.
So if you are looking for "all-round-likeness", it probably simply does not exist.

You can only "grab" certain elements of that sound, which are present in other headphones. The truth is, that only you can find out which sounds closest to it in your own view, it is highly subjective. There was a dynamic headphone released in that era called the HD 560 Ovation (not Ovation II) that was supposed to be designed by the same people, but it is unlikely that it sounds anything like it.
So for me, it has to be an electrotatic headphone for a start.

In my own (highly subjective personal) view, the normal bias Stax SR-Lambda carries a certain 'shine' and 'richness' to the midrange that somewhat resembles the musicality of the Orpheus. The bass is on a lower level but still, very addictive to listen to. Pretty much the headphone of choice for me (coupled to the Stax SRM-T1S amp) to have a musical sound without spending a crazy amount of money.

Others say the SR-007 Mk1 shares a similarly relaxed character. But it is worth mentioning that on that occasion, they were compared on a DIY T2 amp, with a TOL Stax headphone they cost as much as the HE90/HEV90 system.

You can try and dig out some ancient comparison threads such as this one so see if that other headphone may suit your tastes.

Here is yet another comparison of these two headphones.

Or you can also try and do more digging in old meet impression threads, because in those days, a lot more people had access to audition the HE90 properly in comparison to the size of the community.

Nov 12, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 85
Every other headphone that I've tried sounds very different to the HE90.
So if you are looking for "all-round-likeness", it probably simply does not exist.

You can only "grab" certain elements of that sound, which are present in other headphones. The truth is, that only you can find out which sounds closest to it in your own view, it is highly subjective. There was a dynamic headphone released in that era called the HD 560 Ovation (not Ovation II) that was supposed to be designed by the same people, but it is unlikely that it sounds anything like it.
So for me, it has to be an electrotatic headphone for a start.

In my own (highly subjective personal) view, the normal bias Stax SR-Lambda carries a certain 'shine' and 'richness' to the midrange that somewhat resembles the musicality of the Orpheus. The bass is on a lower level but still, very addictive to listen to. Pretty much the headphone of choice for me (coupled to the Stax SRM-T1S amp) to have a musical sound without spending a crazy amount of money.

Others say the SR-007 Mk1 shares a similarly relaxed character. But it is worth mentioning that on that occasion, they were compared on a DIY T2 amp, with a TOL Stax headphone they cost as much as the HE90/HEV90 system.

You can try and dig out some ancient comparison threads such as this one so see if that other headphone may suit your tastes.

Here is yet another comparison of these two headphones.

Or you can also try and do more digging in old meet impression threads, because in those days, a lot more people had access to audition the HE90 properly in comparison to the size of the community.
Good post.

Nov 12, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 85
I'm one of the old timers who heard the Orpheus back in the day. The HD600 and 650 share the general signature, but the Orpheus stood on its own. I haven't heard any other headphone that had that was as palpable and delicate as the Orpheus. I never liked any of the Stax phones. They sounded dry and lifeless to me. I was very disappointed when I first heard the various Stax phones because I had hoped that I'd be able to find a headphone that sounded like the Orpheus for the fraction of the price. Alas, no dice. I haven't heard the HD800 series. Perhaps that comes close. The Orpheus was truly special.

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 85
I heard the Orpheus extensively at a CanJam event years ago. I think it sounds like the HD650 and HD800S had a baby. Super super beautiful midrange, silky highs, nice mid bass but a huge soundstage. Overall, an amazing headphone. I'd say a well-amped HD650 would be the closest.

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 85
I heard the Orpheus extensively at a CanJam event years ago. I think it sounds like the HD650 and HD800S had a baby. Super super beautiful midrange, silky highs, nice mid bass but a huge soundstage. Overall, an amazing headphone. I'd say a well-amped HD650 would be the closest.
Ahh so another point for the HD600/650 signatures. Glad I have a pair at home.

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #8 of 85
Absolutely. The only characteristic that the Orpheus had that the HD650 lacks is the soundstage. Imagine an HD650 with HD800S levels of soundstage and you have the basic idea of the Orpheus. I'm oversimplifying it of course, but it's the closest I can remember. I distinctly remember not being sad about having HD650's after since they offered such a close sound signature.

Nov 15, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 85
Ahh so another point for the HD600/650 signatures. Glad I have a pair at home.
The signature is only one aspect though. The thing that the Orpheus excelled at, which no other headphone has been able to match is the transparency and delicacy. What I mean by delicacy is that it was able to reproduce let's say... chimes in a way that even the slightest touch of the chimes was reproduced with that same delicacy. It wasn't overemphasized and it wasn't rolled off. It was just there in the same way you would have heard it in real life. This is just an example, I don't mean to suggest that unless you listen to chimes, the 650 would be just as good. What I mean is that the same delicacy of reproduction was there for all music played through these phones. BTW, I didn't like the HE60s at all.

Nov 15, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #10 of 85
The signature is only one aspect though. The thing that the Orpheus excelled at, which no other headphone has been able to match is the transparency and delicacy. What I mean by delicacy is that it was able to reproduce let's say... chimes in a way that even the slightest touch of the chimes was reproduced with that same delicacy. It wasn't overemphasized and it wasn't rolled off. It was just there in the same way you would have heard it in real life. This is just an example, I don't mean to suggest that unless you listen to chimes, the 650 would be just as good. What I mean is that the same delicacy of reproduction was there for all music played through these phones. BTW, I didn't like the HE60s at all.
Yea its clear numbers dont lie. While some reviewers say he60 is close to he90, its only a small fraction of he90 price. Had it been more expensive, I would have believed them. Though im sure subjectivity plays a large part.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #11 of 85
Yea its clear numbers dont lie. While some reviewers say he60 is close to he90, its only a small fraction of he90 price. Had it been more expensive, I would have believed them. Though im sure subjectivity plays a large part.
I'll even go as far as to say that the HE90 was the ONLY electrostatic headphone that I liked, but I didn't just like it, I loved it. HE60 was closer to the other electrostats - dry and uninvolving.

Nov 15, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #12 of 85
Have never heard the Orpheus. But from reading other comments, it seems you’re looking for a neutral headphone (because the Orpheus probably sounds very neutral).

The most neutral headphone I’ve heard is Verum. However, the timbre isn’t natural.
The most neutral dynamic headphone I’ve heard is HD 580. It’s also the most natural.
However, if you get a HD 650 or 600 with Sonarworks or Kameleon, it will be even more neutral than the above. And even more neutral (but not better) than the Orpheus. I have tried that and for me it’s end game.
If you have access to Sonarworks or Kameleon, even an entry level amp/DAC produces wonderful results.

If you‘re not looking to use Sonarworks/Kameleon, the closest you can get is: (you’ll probably not get anywhere near the Orpheus without one of them)

HD 660S will work well even with modest gear (Not heard this one).

HD 600 with mid/high end gear, else it can sound boring to many people.

HD 58X will come close to a 660S and also works well with modest gear.

You need to set a budget. If you’re looking to spend a few grand you can get food headphones along with a high end setup around that headphone.

Even under 500 bucks you can get a decent relatively neutral setup.

If on the other hand Orpheus sounds more like a DT 880 or something, the above advice changes to an extent. I haven’t heard either the Orpheus or DT 880.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #13 of 85
Have never heard the Orpheus. But from reading other comments, it seems you’re looking for a neutral headphone (because the Orpheus probably sounds very neutral).

The most neutral headphone I’ve heard is Verum. However, the timbre isn’t natural.
The most neutral dynamic headphone I’ve heard is HD 580. It’s also the most natural.
However, if you get a HD 650 or 600 with Sonarworks or Kameleon, it will be even more neutral than the above. And even more neutral (but not better) than the Orpheus. I have tried that and for me it’s end game.
If you have access to Sonarworks or Kameleon, even an entry level amp/DAC produces wonderful results.

If you‘re not looking to use Sonarworks/Kameleon, the closest you can get is: (you’ll probably not get anywhere near the Orpheus without one of them)

HD 660S will work well even with modest gear (Not heard this one).

HD 600 with mid/high end gear, else it can sound boring to many people.

HD 58X will come close to a 660S and also works well with modest gear.

You need to set a budget. If you’re looking to spend a few grand you can get food headphones along with a high end setup around that headphone.

Even under 500 bucks you can get a decent relatively neutral setup.

If on the other hand Orpheus sounds more like a DT 880 or something, the above advice changes to an extent. I haven’t heard either the Orpheus or DT 880.
I appreciate the reply, I heavily enjoy EQ and feel this forum doesn't use it enough...but that's just my opinion.

I'm getting a Sony Z7 soon, and gonna bug the Z7 thread on best eq to get rid of its supposed treble peak.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #14 of 85
I appreciate the reply, I heavily enjoy EQ and feel this forum doesn't use it enough...but that's just my opinion.

I'm getting a Z7 soon, and gonna bug the Z7 thread on best eq to get rid of its supposed treble peak.

What‘s the Z7?

Nov 16, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #15 of 85
The OP means a Sony MDR-Z7, a bass centric headphone that's cheaper than Sony's Z1R. This is an interesting thread in that the OP is looking for only the bass aspect of one of the most revered and expensive headphones ever made, Sennheiser's pinnacle of old, the HE90. I've never heard this headphone or even an electrostatic of any description. While I hope the OP finds what they're after in my experience two headphones from the same manufacturer rarely sound the same, even versions of the same model rarely sound identical. So to find a headphone that has the bass character of an electrostat with other technology ie. dynamic or planar magnetic from a different manufacturer with different drivers, different earcups, different physical dimensions/acoustics, different earpads will be almost impossible. From what I've read about the HE60, HE90 and HE1 my overall impression is of exquisitely natural and lifelike sounds opposed to neutral and ruthlessly revealing of the source, so although I'd like a week with one of these just for curiosity I might not want one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back