My Sennheiser HE90 Orpheus impression
Mar 29, 2011 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

OmoNemo

New Head-Fier

First of all I'd like to say that I've been dreaming to listen to the legendary "Orpheus" since I'm begin to fall for headphones few years back, seem to me everyone I knew always mentioned these cans as the best electrostatics cans ever made, so once I have my chance from the HE90's owner khun kiertijai (appreciated for your kindness) I took my opportunities to try HE90 along with my faithfully O2 MkI and the lastest version of STAX O2 MkII from Thailand STAX's distributor, so here comes my brief impression on these three statics headphone in comparison.

System set up
Cans: Sennheiser HE90, STAX O2 MkI, MkII.5
Sources: iMac(iTunes with Amarra 2.1.1), Sttello CDT100 
DAC: WEISS DAC202 
Clock: Antelope Isochrone OCX
Amp: Fully upgraded Woo Audio WES with telefunken EL34 and Mullard 6sl7, McIntosh MC275 
SPK: Maggie 1.6QR

Lets begin with limited one, Sennheiser HE90 has transparency, neutral, precisely PRaT and never heard any cans has beautifully highs as HE90 before, no wonder why everybody praised about it. 

To me HE90 bring the musics came to live, felt like listen to nice Electrostatics or Ribbon Speakers instead of headphone. The headstage is wider than any statics or dynamics I had listened including the good headstage cans like sennheiser HD800, HE90 also shares the same sonically character with HD800 as well(listening session with Woo Audio WA22 fully upgraded), as far as I can say it's definitely not the cans for relaxing moment alone with yourself after work, it's neutrality and accurate frequency response drew my attentions during listening session so I guessed among other purposes, to use the cans in studio would be the main designated reason.

For now STAX O2 MkI is the only statics I own, an O2 serves me well daily for hours with it's recess round shape headstage, warmer sounding and nice depth presenting, I wouldn't mind it's narrow headstage because an electrostatics transparency doesn't give me any pressure around my head as some dynamic closed-cans does. MkI has slightly fuller mids and upper-lows than HE90 but couldn't compete on the upper-ends and layering.

I used to own STAX O2 MkII before sold it out right after I've got my MkI and that doesn't means I didn't like it, I loved it, O2 MkII is a good electrostatics cans, promisingly musical with punchy bass unlike others statics, the only flaw I had with it is the bloating mid-lows which could be fix by Spritzer's mod, but stills I preferred MkI sounding. When the STAX's distributor here in Thailand Jet Live Audio asked me "would u like give the new O2 MkII( some called it O2.5) a try?" I accepted, after few hours I quite satisfied with it I'd say an O2.5 came close to MkI on neutrality but still fun to listen, the mid-lows weak point has been fixed by STAX's new diaphragm.

My conclusions: According to the Greek mythology even though "Orpheus" has failed to bring his beloved Eurydice back from the death but the Sennheiser "Orpheus" could bring my music collection back to live. Orpheus is not the cans to die for but as a head-fier you have to listen to it before you die, the HE 90 deserved it's legendary. 

Comparing to an O2s with my woo WES, Orpheus is easier to drive, O2s has mellowing mids, punchy slammer lows but HE90's thinner diaphragm excel O2s on the upper, wider stage and transparencies, of course an O2s are transparent but it's like covered your camera's lens with soft filter they will lost some resolutions but give you warmer feeling instead.

SR Omega is the most neutral STAX I had listen long time ago, O2 MkI is the most neutral Omega2 and for now O2.5 is the one that I like, hope an upcoming SR009 would give me more.

So which one to choose? you'd asked, I'd say it's depends on your taste there is no right or wrong about it, to me if "Money is not a problem" HE90 Orpheus will be my choice, SR009 could be better but yeh.. what do I know.

Have fun listening guys, thank you for reading this far.

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 47
Excellent review
gs1000.gif

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 47
Dear n3rdling  : Please also share your experience on this : the HE90 vs  SR Omega vs  O2mkI vs O2mkII with the BHSE, and probably  vsvswi
 vs the R10 + the awesome " Menace".  You are one of the few who have all those super hiend cans with the perfect setup

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #7 of 47

Quote:
Dear n3rdling  : Please also share your experience on this : the HE90 vs  SR Omega vs  O2mkI vs O2mkII with the BHSE, and probably  vsvswi
 vs the R10 + the awesome " Menace".  You are one of the few who have all those super hiend cans with the perfect setup

I'm pretty sure that would be an exhaustive list. I found info on all those cans through the search function, and I think there are impressions of the Menace in the meet threads. Granted there are few who own that setup, you can get a pretty good feel from reading others impressions and then trying them out yourself.

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 47
Can you tell me the serial number of that Mk2.5?  The sets I heard at CanJam were certainly different to the first Mk2/A's I got here but when I see internal pictures it doesn't appear that Stax did anything to them.  I bought a SR-007A from Japan to verify this but who knows when it will ship out...

Quote:
Why is it all black?  Please don't tell me somebody painted over the "wood" part...

The stain on some of the earlier units was quite dark so that could be a the cause.  Given how few of these housings were ever made the quality of the stain is simply terrible. 
mad.gif

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 47
Nice review.   Your review mirrored the best qualities of the HE90 in my system as well.  The HE90 has such nice soundstage, though I wish the depth is a bit better.  

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 47
Yes. Nicely written. The HE-90 truly deserves it's reputation.  

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #13 of 47
Quote:
Can you tell me the serial number of that Mk2.5?  The sets I heard at CanJam were certainly different to the first Mk2/A's I got here but when I see internal pictures it doesn't appear that Stax did anything to them.  I bought a SR-007A from Japan to verify this but who knows when it will ship out...

The stain on some of the earlier units was quite dark so that could be a the cause.  Given how few of these housings were ever made the quality of the stain is simply terrible. 
mad.gif

Dear spritzer, the serial number is SZ3- 1624.

Quote:
Why is it all black?  Please don't tell me somebody painted over the "wood" part...

I took the pictures in black and white mode n3rdling so the wooden part became black.

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #15 of 47
Wow....This HE-90 is also my dream cans, can only dream also !....

Thanks for your another good review here apart from the Thai Audiophile Forum, both are very excellence review indeed! 

I always enjoy reading your review, OmoNemo .....Thumb Up 
k701smile.gif
o2smile.gif
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back